powder

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

powder

Post by Mescalero »

Who has the best deal on rifle powders right now?
What are prices like pre panic?
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Re: powder

Post by Tycer »

Locally is the place to buy. The shippers have started to charge hazmat fees for smokeless.
Pre-which panic? My 2007 Unique was$17, I saw it for $35 in 2008 and $27 at the last gunshow from Georgia Arms.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Around here there is no powder to buy locally. My favorite local shop said yesterday they have not been able to get any powder for the last 8 weeks.
NRA Life Member
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

I buy from the local shop in town and the prices are all around $24 a pound which is $1-2 higher than this time last year. Things trickle in and go fast but there isn't any gouging. Prices have always been a bit higher here though.

Eric
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

It has been a while since I bought powder.
So this info is helpful.......... thank you
Thinking of going on a buying spree.
Familyguy
Levergunner

Post by Familyguy »

I just paid a skosh over $30 for 1# containers of H4198. Once shipping and hazmat was included it approached about $38/lb. Yes, I am bitter, but now I've got enough supplies to reload a few thousand rounds if I have to. :)
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

i'm seeing more powder lately than in the last year. The only one I cannot find is the one I really want......HP38
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Prices haven't increase all that much at the regular dealers and the like. Scalpers are just thieves pretending to do a good deed..
Supply is still short , so you may not be able to get everything you want.
With the gas prices the way they are, one has to put the "hazmat" fee aside, it's been around for several years now, you pay it in the price on the local dealers shelves, and besides, just how much gas can you buy for 27$ to go driving around to look for something that may or may not be on the dealers shelves.
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

My neighbor always talks about a big shop in Prescott Valley that was heavy on reloading stuff. He used to live over in Surprise if I remember right. Prescott Valley Guns? Sounds right.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

92&94,
I drive up there all the time, thanks for the tip.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

In the Dallas area there is a gun range called Alpine that has powder. Their selection is pretty good and the prices seem to be about what everyone else is seeing. I have enough for my needs for a while, but the prices are not inspiring any confidence in me.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Pick up The Dots when you have a chance....you can load all sorts of stuff in a pinch with them......
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I've got a coupla 8lb'ers on back order at the new shop I found, but either the usual shop is using the wrong distributor, or he's just not ordering any. The new shop has primers on the shelf and the old shop is limiting them to 100 per customer. I have 5K LP Winchersters on the way from Midway. It was nip & tuck, I was under 7K on hand! :P :twisted:

Next up will be LR and shotgun primers! AS for prices? They are what they are.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I am beginning to think that this is the new reality.
ethang
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ethang »

I tried to find some pistol powder yesterday. I called every shop within 70 miles of my house. Most had nothing, one said they had not had a powder delivery in months. One shop said they had some, I drove 40 miles to find out they misread the label.....

If you find it, buy it. Who knows how long this is going to last.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Seems I fell in love with 700x at one time.
I have a lot of that.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

There are loads for 700X listed for most of the common pistol cartridges. I have used it with good results in many loadings. Red dot,Green dot also. I have not got into Blue dot due to never being able to find it locally when I wanted some but many praise it. My standby powders for handgun are
Trail Boss and Red Dot for CAS, IMR 4227 and 2400 for heavy pistol,Unique for Range loads in pistol.
For cast bullet rifle, I use lots of 2400. Varget does most of my hunting loads.
If you have a good supply of 700X you can do a lot of shooting while this supply thing gets sorted out.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Oh yes, I do
But being a pragmatist, I want more.
In case I can't get any later.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Changes in shipping regulations for imports have cut availability at the same time that the ammo producers are moving components into ammo production and new reloaders have come into the market in an effort to bypass ammo shortages. This demand vs supply drives up the cost. We are seeing powder supplies down 50%+ but prices only up 10-15%. Big demand items are "handgun" powders such as Unique, Bullseye, W231, PowerPistol, H110, and so forth and medium fast rifle powders such as IMR 4064, Varget, IMR/H 4895 and such.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Hobie,
Thanks. the voice of reason.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

My "go to" place has been "Powder Valley" but I just checked them and they don't seem to have much. Looks like you can get powder for the big magnums -- super slow stuff like 50BMG or IMR7828, but not much else yet. The HazMat fee has kept me motivated to get the powder in 5 or 8# jugs (they'll ship 4 jugs on 1 hazmat fee), which resulted in my being well-stocked.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Hobie nailed it.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

Was in Graf's St Charles store. They had almost no Alliant products. Alliant claims most of their production is going in to loaded ammo. Other brands to choose from, but I needed to sit down with manuals and come up with alternates so I didn't buy.

Prices were only up a couple bucks from the last time I bought.

Plenty of bullets in stock, and plenty of most primers.

Post by Mescalero »

I have always wanted to try Power Pistol powder.
The only time I have ever seen it, was at an ( un-named ) gun shop and it had been re-packaged.
I don't know about you guys, but I was taught to stay away from any powder not in the original container.
WinM71
Levergunner 2.0

Post by WinM71 »

There was a spell that ran for maybe two or three months where shops' supplies of various powders seemed to be filling in. Can't remember how long ago that was, maybe 8-10 months ago? Now they all seem pretty depleted. I don't see Varget anywhere.

I won't touch repackaged powder, or opened containers except from one or two of my closest buddies.
My mind reader refuses to charge me..........

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you somethin'. That ain't an optical illusion, it only LOOKS LIKE an optical illusion.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I asked the guy and he said the only way they could get it, was in 8 lb. containers and his customers did not buy that much at one time.
He was open about it, apparently his customers are comfortable with it.
I could not get past the voice in my head that said " don't do this "
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I have bought bulk powders and received them in paint cans, oat meal boxes and even paper bags but that was ONLY from trusted people and they number in the single digits such as 2or3. Any other powders that I find in unsealed containers are not used by me except as fertilizer.
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

Speaking of all this powder (and ammo) shortage/overcharging trend, I remember reading on the net (so it HAS to true right?) that Cerberus (sp?) that owns soooo many of our gun companies, and also owns about 60% of ammo companies, has been bullied into selling off the firearm companies in their inventory. Who did it? Unions, after the Sandy Hook shootings, the unions wrote them and "shamed" them for "fostering" the mindset for such killings, and since the unions have a large investment in Cerberus stock, Cerberus agreed to sell off gun companies.

First I find it interesting and a little suspicious they own sooo much of our ammo companies as well as gun makers, and now they are going to "unload" them. I wonder if any liberal billionaires are looking at those stocks? Personally I see the powder/ammo situation getting worse.

Time will tell. I hope I am wrong.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

So do I brother, Bloomberg is no longer mayor of liberal land.
But how much has been entrenched in damaging endeavors.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Buying repackaged bulk powder seems rather chancy to me. I am a little bit OCD about my reloading, especially after I made a mistake one time due to not locking the door and having both SightHunter and PillHer continually come in to ask me questions. I discovered it before blowing anything up, but it was not fun to pop 25 bullets out and dump the powder. Anyone who wants to check it out can find that some flake powders are much faster than others and you should be careful what powder you are using.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

Early in my shotgun reloading career (using a Lee Loader!) I had a sales territory that covered central Illinois. I used to hit a local gunshop in East Alton, literally in the shadow of the Olin plant, and they would sell as little as 1/2 lb. at a time in margarine containers. The good part was they would fill and weigh from the caddy while you watched. My kids were little and I didn't have much extra money so trying a different powder, or buying some Blue Dot for duck loads would have been much harder without this service. Wish I could have bought a gun from them, but since I was from Missouri and didn't have a FOID card reloading supplies was about all I could buy there.

Post by Mescalero »

I am sure that this works( like for Larkbill ) when there is trust between buyer and seller,
for me who just wandered in;
It seemed too risky.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

OK, for you fellows who are getting short of powder -- I just took a closer look at "Powder Valley" (http://www.powdervalleyinc.com) and they have Norma N203B (similar to IMR 4320) and N204 (a scosh slower than H4831). Also have Vihtavouri 3N38 and N105, both of which appear to be similar burn rates to Blue Dot. In normal times the premium charged for Norma or Vihtavouri keeps me from using them, but at present price levels for our regular Hodgdon/IMR/Alliant stuff, the Powder Valley prices for these are right competetive. That's assuming you get together with some buddies and order enough to get a full shipment for your HazMat fee.

Yeah, you may have to stretch the reloader brain cells to come up with data for these, but if I were running out of shootin' powder I'd be ordering up some of these and giving them a work-out.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Thanks Earl,
I'm not "short " of powder.
But I am getting antsy about where this is going.
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

These folks have Blue Dot in stock, for those that expressed an interest.
http://store.thirdgenerationshootingsup ... ,3617.html

I check Gunbot frequently for reloading supplies and found this place recently. I just ordered, but haven't yet received, an 8 lb. jug of Hodgdon H100V. It looks like short cut 4350 and shoots almost the same as 4350. I tried it when I couldn't find any 4350 and liked it. Their web site shows it still in stock along with H335, IMR3031, IMR4064, and IMR4227.

I usually check my favorite family owned local gun shop for reloading supplies when I am in the area. They usually have something in stock, but it is hit or miss as to whether they have what I need. Out of desperation I've tried stuff I've never used because I couldn't find what I wanted. That's how I discovered the H100V. I also tried Superformance for the same reason, but I can't find any load that works with it. Since the shortages their prices are around $30 lb. for powder. They have a limit on primers of two sleeves of 100 @ $5 each, but they always have them in stock. I just found Winchester LR primers at Midway and ordered 5K, so I am good on those for the forseeable future. I stocked up on pistol powders/primers before the panic hit.
Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! P Henry

When the Government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the Government, there is tyranny.T Jefferson
Familyguy
Levergunner

Post by Familyguy »

I left my email address @ shootersupplyusa.com a while back when I was looking for H4198. They emailed me to let me know they've now got it in stock this morning. I checked right away and it was in stock. I checked just now (8 hours later) and it's out of stock again.

Sigh....

Fortunately, I was able to pick up a few pounds already so I'm set for a good long while.

Best,
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

Week before last, I happened to hit Cabela's in Lacey when they actually had some powder, including 3031, 2400, 4064, 4198, One or two Winchester powders. I went back this week and bought a pound of 3031 for 27.99, which was $5 more than I paid at a store in Aberdeen last month.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

geobru wrote:Week before last, I happened to hit Cabela's in Lacey when they actually had some powder, including 3031, 2400, 4064, 4198, One or two Winchester powders. I went back this week and bought a pound of 3031 for 27.99, which was $5 more than I paid at a store in Aberdeen last month.
Shoot....I was there yesterday, and the 2400 was gone. I got two of the last 8 3031s.....With a little black magic, and ill advised extrapolation Blue Dot can be 2400, and I have about 8 lbs...so... 8)

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

So,
What kind of magic do you work with red dot?
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Mescalero wrote:So,
What kind of magic do you work with red dot?
Check out "The Load" vis-a-vis Red Dot....amazingly useful....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I have 4 lbs of Lil Gun that I bought for loading Bee.....not sure what I can do with it....Prolly .357/.44mag when I run out of Blue Dot.....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

AmmoGuide has some good tools for speculating on what powder you might find most useful for a given set of cartridges, or what cartridges have significant numbers of loads using a given powder.

http://ammoguide.com/cgi-bin/aipowders.cgi?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Blaine: please check your private messages, re 2400.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

Got an email from Wideners that they now have IMR4831 in stock. I checked their web site and it appears they just got a shipment in of Hodgdon and IMR powders. Several different rifle powders are now in stock.
Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! P Henry

When the Government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the Government, there is tyranny.T Jefferson