Your camera - The Spotting Scope

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Your camera - The Spotting Scope

Post by Panzercat »

Somebody was asking for advise on spotting solutions elsewhere, so I thought I would share my econo-gunner spotting solution with everybody here. Now if you already have a spotting scope, good for you! Your option is probably light years better than mine. But I'm cheap. I don't want on spend money like that, let alone on dedicated optics for spotting. Enter Mrs. Necessity, the mother of Invention.

Annoyed at my inability to pick out tiny .22 holes at ranges as meager as 50 yards, I realized i had a digital camera. And a tripod. That would work, right? Actually, it did. Quite well, in fact. The thing that makes it work, however, is generally the most despised function amongst photographers-- The digital zoom. By and large, digital zooms are the bane of photography since the more of it you use, the worse your end result gets. Actual glass optics are preferred for zooming, but we aren't taking pictures here. We're spotting using the camera's much lower resolution LCD display.

I have a Sony HX9v. Amongst it's more notable features is great x16 optical stabilization. This easily gets you great pictures and to the 50 yard mark without trying. But like most cameras, it's been cursed with a digital zoom to fluff up the spec sheet. Absolutely useless for any real photography, but for spotting, a huge boon. My particular camera has a x64 digital zoom. It's tough to put that into quantifiable measurements, save that I can tell the brand of airline cruising at 30k feet (if caught at the right angle and light) and the layout of a horse ranch two miles away through heat distortion (if you've been to sunset point, AZ, you know the one I'm talking about :) ) At this point 100y is well within reach.

Now mind you, these would produce substandard pictures. But on that camera sized LCD? If all we're doing is hunting bullet holes in paper, your camera will probably do it and do it well if it's within the capability. Of course, your sight picture will be bad and your field of vision is limited to the LCD. I'm readily acknowledging the limitations here. But I'm quite happy putting a piece of hardware I already own to good use, as opposed to shelling another $200-$300 on something else.

Maybe this will help you out too. Give it a try.
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Your camera - The Spotting Scope

Post by AJMD429 »

Cool idea - will have to try it...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
1894c

Post by 1894c »

i love it when someone comes up with a good idea, that's a good idea... :)
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

yes, good application. I've been noticing that digital pic sizes are getting so big, so many pixels, that if I enlarge the photo to 100% I can see tiny details, as you said, not high quality, but you can see it.

Anyway, thanks for a great idea. Does it work on deer in the field? Counting antler tines and the like?

I've found I hate carrying any high powered scope because of the jiggling, it's too annoying, so I'd have to add a tripod, no way. But a tiny camera, you can take a pic of a hillside, then explore each bush for deer? Rock steady image and easy to carry.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

What a fine idea, Panzercat. Never thought of that!
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry