OMG Report

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

OMG Report

Post by mikld »

Well, a confession. I have a new favorite fire arm, and sadly it ain't a levergun. Today for the very first time I shot an M1 Garand. Happy, Happy, Happy! Been a long time since I've had this much fun with a firearm. I went through about 100 Greek HXP rounds and 20 handloads. Didn't know what to expect, but it was very enjoyable, didn't seem too loud, nor too much recoil. Shoot a clip, pick up the brass and clip, and load another clip. Can't think of which may be more fun; shooting my 10-22 or my new Garand! Of course my .44 Puma ain't going anywhere, but has a rival for "most favorite"...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
wm
Senior Levergunner

Re: OMG Report

Post by wm »

Great pick up
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

MAN'S rifle.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

jnyork wrote:MAN'S rifle.
Yup... 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Oh I can hear that "ting" sound now as clip goes flying.

You have a piece of great History. That gun is extremely capable.
Also makes whether it be temporarily plugged or using the 5 shot blocks an absolute fine hunting weapon.
First gun I used big game hunting in Pa at age 12

Congrats------I bet that eventually rates as top of your list?

ps------If you can look to join a club that does the M1 CMP shoots. It is addicting and you as an overall shooter will improve greatly!
Make sure you follow guidelines of what are proper loadings/ammo that go into your M1(and watch your thumb) :lol:
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Congrats! Definitely near the top of the list of "fun guns". Wait till you stretch out the range and start nailing the targets a ways out there, great fun!
NRA Life Member
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

The Garand is what I trained and qualified with in basic. I was 22 when they drafted me so that gives you some idea that I am OLD! But I rode my old Harley to town today and did several errands while putting around town.

I love the Garand but I let one of my sons have the last one I had and moved to an FAL.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
PriseDeFer
Levergunner 2.0

Post by PriseDeFer »

There are few things you can walk around with that have the spirit and history of an M1. An artifact of courage, determination, sacrifice and other things. You got an awfully big medicine stick. Find that happy cadence of 200 yards rapid that puts all eight into a truck window.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Now for a bayonet, and a cleaning kit, and ...
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

I am proud to say I have an M1 Garand, H&R in pretty decent shape but I am sad to say it doesn't get fired much. I have about 5 bayonets - one of which is Chrome that looks pretty nice. I have a cleaning kit and a full Can of ammo in clips and bandoliers, plus a gazillion extra clips. I buy em when I see em at a decent price and they are going up.
I caint ride a Harley anymore and I trained with an M14. If U did basic with an M1 U r really old :lol: :arrow: sorry MM, couldn't resist.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

HOLD ON THERE PERRY!!!! I trained with an M1 when I went through basic in June 1958, also the BAR. I sold my M1 last year, sometime old folks do dumb things. I do still have my 1899 30-40 Krag, and NO I did not use it in basic.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by RustyJr »

Now all you need is a 1911 in a Tanker holster and you will be good to go :mrgreen:

RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

JerryB wrote:HOLD ON THERE PERRY!!!! I trained with an M1 when I went through basic in June 1958, also the BAR. I sold my M1 last year, sometime old folks do dumb things. I do still have my 1899 30-40 Krag, and NO I did not use it in basic.
I rest My Case !! :lol:
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

From all reports, there were some that were just incredibly accurate, and most were accurate. My Uncle who was awarded the Silver Star carried an M1 from North Africa, and the battle of El Alamein, all the way with Patton's 2nd Armored Division through the fighting in Europe. He didn't say much, but he said they were a very fine rifle. He did say that his Platoon had one that would put every shot into one ragged hole at 100 yards, and that rifle was used as a sniper rifle for most of the war. He didn't say much else.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

PriseDeFer wrote:Find that happy cadence of 200 yards rapid that puts all eight into a truck window.
Now THAT is describing 'practical shooting' at it's politically-incorrect best. . . :mrgreen:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
PriseDeFer
Levergunner 2.0

Post by PriseDeFer »

Well not as daringly politically-incorrect as you may think. Garands were built for war and anyone looking at those M1 sights and a 30/06 M2 Ball round will see that the whole thing was about heavy hitting, and hitting at a distance. The context sets the criteria. As an aside I read the Army is looking at a robot that carries a 7.62 GP240 machine gun. Hope it will know what it's aiming at. Three Laws of Robotics?
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Deleted
Last edited by COSteve on Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Rusty wrote:Now for a bayonet, and a cleaning kit, and ...
You forgot the .gov approved words...

EVIL ASSAULT bayonet...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Both you guys hold on there! I trained & qualified with an M-1 in Basic... in 1970! So you don't have to be old to have done that!
AJMD429 wrote:
Yup... 8)
+2!

For nostalgia there ain't anything lke it in an autofeeder! And until I got a AR, I was ready for whatever need might arise... I thought. Now I wonder... that M1A with modern glass is a step ahead & back at the same time... if only they were in .30-06! But favorite firearm? Nope, my cowboy guns still hold the top slot!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Griff wrote:Both you guys hold on there! I trained & qualified with an M-1 in Basic... in 1970! So you don't have to be old to have done that!
AJMD429 wrote:
Yup... 8)
+2!

For nostalgia there ain't anything lke it in an autofeeder! And until I got a AR, I was ready for whatever need might arise... I thought. Now I wonder... that M1A with modern glass is a step ahead & back at the same time... if only they were in .30-06! But favorite firearm? Nope, my cowboy guns still hold the top slot!
I'd like one in .308... but I'm not ready to add another caliber to the stable.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!