Stupid Smartphone Question...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Stupid Smartphone Question...

Post by AJMD429 »

My Droid recognizes my home Wi-Fi network enough to use it for internet...why can't I send stuff to my printers...?
(Other than because I'm too stupid…)

Is there a way to easily suck long text-conversations out of it into my computer (cable connects them and it shows up like a disk drive)…?

I'd like to save and print some 'conversations'.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Re: Stupid Smartphone Question...

Post by shooter »

You can either a) save to your phone's memory card, and transfer to the computer using a usb thumb drive that accepts the memory card, or b) you can look for an app that is compatible with your wireless printer.

That's about all I know to do. I'm not very tech savvy, so I'm probably not much help.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

In my experience, wireless devices, smart-phones and iPads etc. print to a buffer type print server in "The Cloud" which then dumps the image data to a / your wireless IP addressed printer.

HP makes an app called "ePrint" that does it this way.

IMO, Cloud storage creates a convenient platform for the NSA and similar scum-bag hacker types to rifle through your data.

:?
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

FWiedner wrote:IMO, Cloud storage creates a convenient platform for the NSA and similar scum-bag hacker types to rifle through your data.
I agree with that. :|

I guess it does make sense that I'd need some sort of 'driver' (since I need one for each printer for each other computer on the network...). I guess I'll try to grab them onto my computer, then see if I can print from there.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I never thought of trying to do anything like that before but playing with the phone a bit I did find out that I can copy each segment of a text conversation and send it to myself via e-mail.

Hold on the part of the text you want sent and an option list will pop up. You then choose which option you like. I have an old Android 2.0 I think it is. Can't be upgraded, and the phone is about to be replaced.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

FWiedner wrote:In my experience, wireless devices, smart-phones and iPads etc. print to a buffer type print server in "The Cloud" which then dumps the image data to a / your wireless IP addressed printer.

HP makes an app called "ePrint" that does it this way.

IMO, Cloud storage creates a convenient platform for the NSA and similar scum-bag hacker types to rifle through your data.

:?
"The Cloud" IS an NSA server farm...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Or you can use the free Dropbox service and access it from your computer or your Android dropbox app.
We use this for business and personal pix and files.

However, like Fred said, any information placed on the Internet "cloud" could be accessed by the NSA. But since they can access your computer, smart phone, phone calls, emails, text messages, etc. what difference does it make? :x

PS My son Colin does Android app development and I will ask for his recommendation.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

You need a wireless (WiFi) printer in order to print from your device. HP has several that are compatible with Android devices. Apple requires an "AirPrinter."
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

crs wrote:However, like Fred said, any information placed on the Internet "cloud" could be accessed by the NSA. But since they can access your computer, smart phone, phone calls, emails, text messages, etc. what difference does it make? :x
Sorry, I was just being 'Fred'...

:lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Lassiter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Lassiter »

Ok.......you guys got over my head QUICK!!!
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Grizzly Adams wrote:You need a wireless (WiFi) printer in order to print from your device. HP has several that are compatible with Android devices. Apple requires an "AirPrinter."
This. I've not been successful yet. Found it wad easier to email whatever to myself and print from PC
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Grizzly Adams wrote:You need a wireless (WiFi) printer in order to print from your device. HP has several that are compatible with Android devices. Apple requires an "AirPrinter."
My WiFi printer (Canon Pixma) works dandy with my laptops & tablet, but not "smart phones".

Haven't found the right "App for that" I guess...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Am I the only one who doesn't have a smart phone? I don't like them for 2 reasons. They are not T-coil compatible so those with hearing aids cannot hear them well, and second, I can hold one for a couple of minutes and it starts flashing and dialing and going through most of its apps as if it were sitting on a live electric current. Casio watches are the only ones I can wear since the other brands, especially Timex, get really hot and run down in a few hours even with a new battery.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

AJMD429,
I checked with Colin and he uses the free Android Dropbox app to place the file in Dropbox(also free). The file is then available from any of his computers which also use Dropbox. There is no $ cost to this method.
He also stated that you can move a file from Android to you computer by plugging in the USB to Android cable, but this does require that you be at your computer with the phone. The dropbox technique can be used from anywhere to store files and pix in your Dropbox.

An Android compatible wireless printer might be more convenient if you wish to buy one.

As usual, you pays your money and you makes your choice. :wink:
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

my android tablet will print to an hp printer via bluetooth. if your android phone can use bluetooth you may be able to make the connection to the printer that way.

as far as whether your stuff is in the cloud or in your livingroom, the dotgovt hackers have free access to it at will.

boolean AND, everything that passes through routers is open and free for the taking. this, for example,
all your email, all your texts, etc.

only a Nation of laws, enforced by law-abiding agents, against the dotgovt tyrants as opposed to subjecting citizens, could have a society where the citizens are free and the agents are bound by law.

we all know this, I only assert the obvious for the historical record for after the stasi falls.