Bear in mts of Pennsylvania

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Bear in mts of Pennsylvania

Post by t.r. »

My son-in-law, Dan, is part owner of a cabin up north in the mountains of Mifflin County. He and my daughter drove up for the weekend so Dan could archery hunt for deer. Shortly after dawn on Saturday, a big bear walked up to Dan’s tree. It stood to full height and stretched up with its paws onto the tree. Dan was a little spooked and at a loss of what to do. So he raised his voice and said, “SHOO”, several times. The bear seemed puzzled but eventually walked away into the forest and vanished. At about 8:30AM, a herd of deer ambled through and Dan shot a big doe with his compound bow. Distance was approx 30 yards. It was a hot day for October with temps rising into the 80’s. So they hurried back to Lancaster County to drop his deer off at a local butcher shop.

Close bears can cause fear in the best of us.

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Bear in mts of Pennsylvania

Post by 2ndovc »

I have a cabin outside of Bradford, PA.

I've had several "run ins" with the bear population. Best deterrent have been my dogs. Bears just don't like barking dogs.
Second is noise. We've come across several black bear while out hiking, but they have exited rapidly upon hearing us or our dogs. The more noise the better. We ran up on a Momma and her cubs a couple years ago, our Great Dane Lucy was the first one to smell/hear/see what was happening. She took a Formidable stand and let loose with her deep and powerful bark!
The other dogs joined in and my 45-70 was at the ready.

The bears ran off and we continued our hike.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

We have them all over!

Best thing to make them take off back in the woods(other than shooting them with rubber slugs, or real ones :lol: )
is get two medium sized cast iron skillet pans, don't give them any other warning walk outside right up pretty close and wack em together hard.

Some reason they really hate that high pitched (wack)
Actually worse than gun going off ????? think its that boooiiiiiinngggg!
JMHO

BIL lives in town 4 miles away and put on Facebook this morning a post (he woke up and found garbage all over thought ???)
Around the side of his house was an empty Coors can and two bear (logs if you know what I mean)both as big around as the Coors can. :lol: Click on pic to enlarge it and compare size against can!
https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hph ... 4940_n.jpg

Critters are bold--got a Game Cam pic couple nights ago of a bobcat in front lawn! Wife wondered where had all the rabbits went lately?
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

How can you tell that hikers have been using cayenne bear repellent spray? The bear droppings have little bits of reflective material in them and smell like Tabasco.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

madman4570 wrote:Best thing to make them take off back in the woods(other than shooting them with rubber slugs, or real ones :lol: ) is get two medium sized cast iron skillet pans, don't give them any other warning walk outside right up pretty close and wack em together hard.
It would be fun (as long as I had a backup with a 45-70) to try a couple of Zildjian cymbals slammed together...

(. . .I used to play drums in high school, and my drum set was nestled in the 'curve' of the grand piano we also had at home, with my big freestanding Zildjian hanging over the top of the closed piano by about 15". One day my sister's cat fell asleep there. . . :shock: )
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

I don't think I'd have been able to stay as still and calm as this hunter ... Then again , I wouldn't need to because where I hunt bear and deer season run at the same time :)

I'm sure this has been posted before , but I always enjoy seeing it :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0vrtmtpN_o
Phil
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Ain't got any bears close here by the house, but if I was to take two of my wife's iron frying pans and beat them together she would beat me with the broken pieces.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15