"Old Model" Thompson/Center Contender

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Single-shot
Levergunner

"Old Model" Thompson/Center Contender

Post by Single-shot »

This is a little off from true lever guns, but I was helped by the membership in solving a problem I had with my Wickliffe 76, so here goes.

I had a problem with one of my "Old Style" Contenders frames, where the safety did not drop away when the trigger was pulled, allowing the hammer to fall on the firing pin. I replaced the safety spring as well as the inter-lock safety spring, but on completion the problem still existed, as well as another problem where the sear will not engage the hammer when cocked.

Does anyone know of the existance of diagrams which might show the position of internal components when cycling through the normal stages? Also, does anyone know how I might get the patent diagrams for the Contender, shich might show this same information?

Thanks for any assistance that might be available.

single-shot
Hobie

Re: "Old Model" Thompson/Center Contender

Post by Hobie »

Does your barrel have the split locking bolts?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/index.php?cid=163&

You might read through this article and see if any of it applies to your gun. Mike Bellm is probably the most knowledgeable guy out there on T/C pistols and carbines.

Post by North Country Gal »

That can be caused by the barrel locking bolt not fully inserting back in the frame when the barrel is closed. This prevents the interlock from fully disengaging which, in turn, prevents the hammer from making full contact with the firing pin. Only takes a little contact between the interlock and the hammer when it is falling to cause a light strike or no strike on the firing pin.

I have had this happen on more than one frame and barrel. The cure is to file/stone the locking bolt so that it can squeeze fully back into the frame when the barrel is closed. I usually smear the surfaces of the locking bolt with magic marker, put the barrel back on the frame, open and close a couple of times, then take the barrel off and inspect the bolt. You'll see where the contact points are on the locking bolt where the magic marker has been rubbed, away. It is slow work and you'll need to do this a number of times.

This is not uncommon when mixing and matching frames and barrels of different vintages. It is more likely to occur on pre easy open frames and vintage barrels, too. In the old days, customers often had to send their rigs back into TC for proper fitting. It's one of the things that spurred TC to develop the two piece locking bolts. If your barrel doesn't already have the more up to date two piece bolts, try to find a set and replace. Be much easier than trying to file down a locking bolt.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

A couple of years ago I bought a used 'older model' one, and it didn't work right either.

I think it was also related to not having the two piece bolt and/or 'easy open' feature.

I sent it to Thompson Center, and they fixed it. I expected to pay for it, but they didn't charge me at all, if I recall correctly. To reward them, I bought some extra parts from them.

Follow this thread and links in it may help...

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=27202
Last edited by AJMD429 on Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

After many Years of service my first gen frame developed some issues. I sent it back to TC and they rebuilt the piece for no charge. It is like new.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

North Country Gal wrote:That can be caused by the barrel locking bolt not fully inserting back in the frame when the barrel is closed. This prevents the interlock from fully disengaging which, in turn, prevents the hammer from making full contact with the firing pin. Only takes a little contact between the interlock and the hammer when it is falling to cause a light strike or no strike on the firing pin.

I have had this happen on more than one frame and barrel. The cure is to file/stone the locking bolt so that it can squeeze fully back into the frame when the barrel is closed. I usually smear the surfaces of the locking bolt with magic marker, put the barrel back on the frame, open and close a couple of times, then take the barrel off and inspect the bolt. You'll see where the contact points are on the locking bolt where the magic marker has been rubbed, away. It is slow work and you'll need to do this a number of times.

This is not uncommon when mixing and matching frames and barrels of different vintages. It is more likely to occur on pre easy open frames and vintage barrels, too. In the old days, customers often had to send their rigs back into TC for proper fitting. It's one of the things that spurred TC to develop the two piece locking bolts. If your barrel doesn't already have the more up to date two piece bolts, try to find a set and replace. Be much easier than trying to file down a locking bolt.
Yep, that's what I was driving at. Just too lazy today to type! Thanks!!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

FYI
Thompson Center is now owned by S&W.
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
Mike Armstrong
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mike Armstrong »

The G2 was developed to get around some of these problems, and, for me, it has. Also a bit stronger than the originals, at least, beefier (and thus heavier, too). I find it much easier to handle than my original ("Cougar head") model and traded that one for a G2 barrel. I only use Contender Carbines; never much like the pistol versions. Have two shotgun barrels, too!

There is a specific Contender forum on www.graybeardoutdoors.com where a lot of these issues are discussed, if you don't find a fix here. Probably other forums I don't know about, too.

One of the services T-C has provided us levergunners is providing Contender barrels in many traditional levergun calibers. The guys (I'm one of them) who buy those barrels shoot traditional caliber shells in them and that helps keep those calibers alive and in the manufacturers inventory. Not nearly as big a factor as Cowboy Action Shooting, for sure, but every little bit helps!
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

I don't know that "TC" will be any help. I believe even the G2 is history at this point.
Slow is just slow.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

cas wrote:I don't know that "TC" will be any help. I believe even the G2 is history at this point.
You mean as in 'no longer made' or what...?
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

I believe it's an officially vs unofficially thing. They still list them on the website, but I don't believe they've made any in a while. I've heard people being told both yes and no from the factory (S&W).
Slow is just slow.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Mike Armstrong wrote:The G2 was developed to get around some of these problems, and, for me, it has. Also a bit stronger than the originals, at least, beefier (and thus heavier, too). I find it much easier to handle than my original ("Cougar head") model and traded that one for a G2 barrel. I only use Contender Carbines; never much like the pistol versions. Have two shotgun barrels, too!

There is a specific Contender forum on http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com where a lot of these issues are discussed, if you don't find a fix here. Probably other forums I don't know about, too.

One of the services T-C has provided us levergunners is providing Contender barrels in many traditional levergun calibers. The guys (I'm one of them) who buy those barrels shoot traditional caliber shells in them and that helps keep those calibers alive and in the manufacturers inventory. Not nearly as big a factor as Cowboy Action Shooting, for sure, but every little bit helps!
Yes Mike, I'm another Contender Carbine fan (with shotgun barrels!). Carried the .30 Herrett for some of last season.
Sincerely,

Hobie

Mike Armstrong
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mike Armstrong »

The .410 shotgun barrel is a hoot, if a little hard to hit flying stuff with--I'm 1 for 4 on California Quail; wouldn't try it on bigger birds, but I'm 3 for 5 on bunnies. I carry it loaded with 000 buckshot when just cruising around in an area I don't know well enough to trust the wildlife, human and othewise. Most people don't seem to see it as a threat just slung over my shoulder. I haven't had to point it at anybody but a stray dog so far. I guess he understood my body language well enough....

Haven't shot anything but clays with the 28 guage barrel, but it busts them clean enough when you swing it HARD. So far I've only shot the IC choke tube in it. We have a "hammer single shot shotgun only" hunt every year, and I'll be taking it this time instead of my trusty Win 37. Good laughs, anyway!
North Country Gal
Levergunner 2.0

Post by North Country Gal »

S&W has been back and forth on the continuation of the G2 thing, depending on who you ask there and what day. They do have the tooling and they do have the capability, but when and if we see any new G2s, who knows? The original Contender, though, is a dead duck as far as S&W is concerned, so we're now on our own for parts.

I collect the originals and have a safe full of frames and barrels, so I do love them, but I also like the practical advantages of the the G2s and the Encores. For one thing, they all open easily and that is a blessing during a long range session. The triggers aren't as easily adjusted and tuned as the original Contenders, but they can be tuned with only a bit more work. I also like the added clearance of the G2 and Encore grips when shooting the big boomers. If you don't think this is important, just try shooting a 444 Marlin on an original frame (ask me how I know). And, of course, no more having to work the lever to get the sear to engage. The hammer does that, now. Just as importantly, the hammer block safety on a G2 or Encore automatically engages as soon as you release the trigger. That's a great safety feature compared to the original where you can end up with the hammer sitting flush on top of a live round.
Mike Armstrong
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mike Armstrong »

I guess my problem with the original Contenders was "too many switches and levers"--a little complicated to operate for a single shot, which should be the easiest action of all, and most are. The TCR '83 and '87 had the same problems for me.

The original Contender pistols with the octagon barrels had a kinda retro eye appeal for me, and I had one with a couple of different barrels (.22LR and .25-35). But somehow I couldn't warm to them in actual use and traded them off. The G2 is the only switch-barrel, multi-caliber-including-rimfire-and-centerfire out there (switching CF to RF in an NEF don't work) that an ordinary shooter can afford. To me the rifle version is butt-ugly compared to traditional single shots but it handles well for me and has all those "other advantages."

I'd be very sorry to see the G2 dropped. I don't have any need for its "big brother," but if I did, I'd get one in a nano. Both good concepts if you can abide hunting with a single shot. Some can't; I prefer them and have since about 1952.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I was under the impression that there were other makers making after-market barrels and many parts. If the patent is off the frame, perhaps someone would even start making them if T/C or S&W or whoever-it-is-this-week doesn't...

Mike Armstrong
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mike Armstrong »

PLENTY of aftermarket makers of barrels and stocks and some other key parts. Don't know about the frame patent; I don't think they automatically expire here after 10 years like European patents do. Anybody know?

Probably the real constraint to somebody else picking up the Contender if S&W drops it is manufacturing capacity. I think many of the parts are investment cast and not everybody can do that on an industrial scale--as I understand it many of the gun mfrs. who use that process job out the big parts like receivers to Ruger's subsidiary, Pine Tree Casting, or at least this was the situation a few years ago.
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

^ I love my TCR, but its got the worst safety (double two hands safety :roll: ) I've seen on any modern arm.

I just sold an Encore and. G2, but held on to 3 original Contender frames, I don't shoot them but a fraction of what I used to so they're last me a lifetime and then some. But the up in the air status had me in a quandary when I was trying to decide which to liquidate. The Encore was a no brainier. But I have an old style old frame which I hear parts are problematic to come by, sell that one or the G2 which I didn't care for? In the end I figured if they old old frame broke, I could part it out and still get back more than I have in it.
Slow is just slow.