Sit-rep, Marlin pricing eastern KY

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Sit-rep, Marlin pricing eastern KY

Post by wecsoger »

Grayson KY to be exact.

Had to be over there on family biz this weekend, stopped by a pawn shop downtown. (yes they have a downtown, all two blocks of it!)

Only had two levers in and amongst some butchered AK and SKS clones and other bolt guns.

336AW, pre-safety (I think), very good shape with (I didn't get the brand) scope for $325

336G, pre-safety, so-so shape, $245.

I did briefly consider the G, I think it would have cleaned up nicely. I would have taken it, cut the barrel back to 16" and shortened the stock. I had the money but then again, I've got one of the shorty Davidsons guns in stainless, the same config. So regretfully I had to walk away.

In today's era of no new '94's and remlins, I'm still seeing the old levers around at good prices. Curious to see how long that will last.
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Re: Sit-rep, Marlin pricing eastern KY

Post by buckeyeshooter »

wecsoger wrote:Grayson KY to be exact.

Had to be over there on family biz this weekend, stopped by a pawn shop downtown. (yes they have a downtown, all two blocks of it!)

Only had two levers in and amongst some butchered AK and SKS clones and other bolt guns.

336AW, pre-safety (I think), very good shape with (I didn't get the brand) scope for $325

336G, pre-safety, so-so shape, $245.

I did briefly consider the G, I think it would have cleaned up nicely. I would have taken it, cut the barrel back to 16" and shortened the stock. I had the money but then again, I've got one of the shorty Davidsons guns in stainless, the same config. So regretfully I had to walk away.

In today's era of no new '94's and remlins, I'm still seeing the old levers around at good prices. Curious to see how long that will last.
I know the shop you are talking about. My family farm is right outside of town off Route 1. Sounds like there are a few marlins left in the hills! :D
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Still a few here and there, see them I'm either by Grayson or stopping by Caskeys, on us 60 east of Morehead.

My original comment still stands as to wondering if we're going to see the number diminish. I don't think prices will go up as there's not a lot of money down there anyway in eastern KY

Family farm? May have driven by it. Our travels also took us through downtown Grahn (have to see the area for the joke) and wife and I were counting the abandoned properties. Homes, some with outbuildings and or barns, no one had been there for quite awhile. Some look like they would clean up, others, not so much.

Have been watching real estate listings for the area for maybe something for a weekend get-away so I can see the reason for the depressed prices.

Still regretting a little not getting that little 336G. Would have been a nice truck gun.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

We were all over that area when I lived in Menifee County in 1963-1964. Nice country. Have driven by on I-64 a couple of times since. I wouldn't mind living there.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

For those of you not sure what Hobie was about, draw an imaginary straight line (well, semi-straight for the hills!) between Ashland and Lexington, that's I-64. Toward eastern end of that line is Rowan and Carter counties.

Carter county is, well, not a lot of there, there. Very little industry. And most of that occupied by illegals. (so I'm told)

KY is in top ten of the most gun friendly states (look it up) and also toward the top of retirement friendly states. Now if you want the big city excitement, it ain't there. Although Morehead, in Rowan county does have a sushi place and you can get sushi in the Kroger. (grin)

Land is very little horizontal and a lot of the hills are darn steep to climb either on foot or 4wd.

But for vacation, camping, retreat or get-away-from-it, you could do worse.

Note, if you really want to get away, go farther south in to Morgan or Elliot counties.

Tourism promoting speech over.

Still kind of wishing I had got that little 336G.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

wecsoger wrote:
Still kind of wishing I had got that little 336G.
i hate the..should've, could've, but didn't too...but a good old Marlin is always waiting around the corner...you know you can always call them up and have it shipped, just a thought... :)