for those that like mulies

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

for those that like mulies

Post by BigSky56 »

Was heading to the fuel depot before heading to the mtns to get a couple of cows saw these mulies scrounging apples, buck was border line on the prod. danny
IMG_0001x.jpg
IMG_0003x.jpg
1894c

Re: for those that like mulies

Post by 1894c »

nice lawn ornament...actually really nice Mulie... :)
SargeMarlin
Levergunner 2.0

Post by SargeMarlin »

As a guy who is addicted to chasing mule deer from a state that doesn't have any, I think those are some great pictures. I wouldn't hesitate on that deer if I was to run across him in the hunting fields.

SM
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I have taken exactly two milieus in my 52 years ! And those pics make me wanna go to Big Sky Country to try and get a third !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

So that's what they are supposed to look like. I'll be keeping an eye out come October...

Nice pics!
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

My FIL dropped a 32.5" mulie up here and I packed out a 41" mulie that a local kid arrowed the 41 buck had droptines both sides inside spread was 36. heres a WT on the run second of 2 the first was bigger and I was slow on the camera it was daybreak. danny
IMG_0013x.jpg
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

very nice Bucks, Thanks

logger
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I hope I live long enough to get out there and shoot some of that stuff you guys got out there. Love to get a muley and an elk before I cash in.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
samb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by samb »

Danny,
Nice Buck. I drew a Antlered Mule deer tag last year but, did not fill it. I had a great three day hunt looking for one though, and passed several, thinking I would get back out. It was not to be!

I grabbed a undersubscribed tag for this year northwest of Manning AB. Looking forward to hunting a new to me part of the country.

Your picture got me excited and spooled up to get out after em! Thanks.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Nice, I'd love to tag a mulie someday 8)
Mike Armstrong
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mike Armstrong »

Nice buck!

We have mulies down here in Sou Cal, but they are "Desert Mule Deer" and kinda scrawny compared to the ones I got used to when I lived in Idaho. They really look more like Columbian Blacktails, and act like them, too. Sneakier than northern mulies.

Wildlife biologists say that Blacktails are the ancestors of both Mule Deer and Whitetails; I guess that means all North American deer except moose and elk.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Scanned from photo taken recently in an undisclosed place in Colorado .

Check out the sway back and big belly on the one on the left. Do you like them tall or wide?
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

CRS I like a balanced mulie rack and a wide rack on wt, that hay belly on that mulie is from somebodies alfalfa field Ive got 2 huge wt and 1 soso big wt in a hay field that Iam trying to get a pic of. when they are that big they get nocturnal the other night I counted 65 head of does,fawns & small bucks in the alfalfa and those 3 big boys were back in the timber waiting for dusk. The mulies around here taste bad cause of the forage so I prefer wt for table fare. My neighbor has a 27" wt on his cabin wall and missed a 30" behind our places I rode up to him after the crack of his 95 a northerner was blowing snow so bad he didnt see a 4" blowdown limb between him and that bucks brisket hes been after that ole boy since.
Mike A Ive hunted those mulies in the immigrant wilderness north of Yosemite and along the sierra crest to the border they are sneakier than a rocky mtn md. danny
Mike Armstrong
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mike Armstrong »

Bigsky, that is SOME RUGGED terrain you were hunting in! Often wondered what buck fever and altitude sickness felt like; hope I'm too old to ever find out now, though.

I hunted mulies in the Snake River breaks in Idaho and Eastern Washington when I lived out there in the '70s and '80s, mostly for meat. Biggest deer I got was with a handgun while bird hunting on the Palouse River in WA; he just got unlucky. 11 points in all; a hybrid of whitetail and mulie. Nice rack; meat was only good for sausage and required a LOT of sage and garlic to make it smell nice enough to eat....too late in the rut.