My New Rossi 92 Came in Today !

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wll
Levergunner 1.0

My New Rossi 92 Came in Today !

Post by wll »

Just bought a Rossi 92 in 44 mag. Being I own a couple of Marlin 94's you might ask why did it get a Rossi 92 ?

Well, the main reason is I wanted a small 44 mag lever gun, so I bought the 16 inch version. I plan on taking this gun on most of my hiking ventures and wanted something light yet powerful.

I was a little scarred as I ordered the gun sight unseen ...... but the gun is beautiful, it cocks easy, the wood is very nice, the sights look clean and no bad screws or blemishes, as a matter of fact I was very, very surprised at the smoothness of the action and how easy it was to cock !

This gun will have a Uncle Mikes sling swivel set up, the safety removed. and will be sighted in using a 250 or 265 gr. hard cast GS bullet with a large meplat .340 WFN Beartooth bullet !

This gun will be for protection or hunting at close range, to knock anything out with a mass carry weight of as little as possible.

Because I live in Kalifornia the gun must look non aggressive, and it will.

I will send photos when I get the gun in ten days as the governor must do a exam of my internal organs to find out if I'm worthy !

wll
gak
Senior Levergunner

Re: My New Rossi 92 Came in Today !

Post by gak »

Congratulations, great gun!
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

Stainless or blue? I just got a SS one ..same thing..44mag 16". Put a sling on it like the latest post pictured..leather strap around mag tube..and under buttplate ...worked slick!! So far one prairie rat and one richardsons ground squirrel..
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
wll
Levergunner 1.0

Post by wll »

Les Staley wrote:Stainless or blue? I just got a SS one ..same thing..44mag 16". Put a sling on it like the latest post pictured..leather strap around mag tube..and under buttplate ...worked slick!! So far one prairie rat and one richardsons ground squirrel..
I have an Uncle Mikes set up, and I'm in the process of finding a sling that fits my needs. My gun is a blued version, and even though the stock is nice I will probably stain it a little darker.

If the gun performs, I may just get another as you can never have enough lever guns .... I can't tell you how many lever guns I have for the fear of getting kicked out of this forum ; -) .......... but for starters lets say I have both Winchesters, Marlins and now a Rossi from 22 mag to 45-70 ;- )

wll
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

So.... Photo?
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Kewl beans.............. While I've owned/shot/hunted with both a .357 & a .45 Colt in Rossi's 16" versions, I never got one in .44, since I already had a 16" Marlin 1894P in .44 Magnum.

I hope U post a range report on your .44, after it's setup the way you described.

I replaced the bolt top lawyer safety's on mine with a drop-in bolt peep, which readily zeroed using the issue front sight.

Fellow board member http://www.stevesgunz.com make/sells the bolt peep's, but I had to fashion my own from a Skinner LoPro peep sight, since that was prior to Steve putting his sight into production.

wll
Levergunner 1.0

Post by wll »

Pete44ru wrote:.

Kewl beans.............. While I've owned/shot/hunted with both a .357 & a .45 Colt in Rossi's 16" versions, I never got one in .44, since I already had a 16" Marlin 1894P in .44 Magnum.

I hope U post a range report on your .44, after it's setup the way you described.

I replaced the bolt top lawyer safety's on mine with a drop-in bolt peep, which readily zeroed using the issue front sight.

Fellow board member http://www.stevesgunz.com make/sells the bolt peep's, but I had to fashion my own from a Skinner LoPro peep sight, since that was prior to Steve putting his sight into production.

Well, I pick her up the 22nd, then I got to clean her up and take her out to dinner ;- )

Yes, I will replace the safety with Steve's plug, stain areas of the stock that were a little light (where the stock meets the steel, but only lightly).

I may shorten the hammer spring a coil or two and I will check the length of the magazine spring. I will load 8 in the tube and see how tight it is, if it is one of those things that makes your fingers bleed I will remove coils till it is comfortable. I will probably not load 8 in the tube for use, but 7 is a real go !

The removing of the safety is a controversial thing, especially here in Kalifornia. I will leave the chamber empty as I have gotten in the habit of this until I'm just ready to shoot. The reason I'm taking the safety off is not because I hate the way it looks (and I do), but the fact that it can be easy switched on or off and in a moment of stress I would be fumbling around with it. Having used lever guns for years I just keep the chamber empty and rack one in when the time comes. I can do that faster then fumbling around with that little switch.

wll
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Yer in luck - Steve's drop-in peep sight retains the safety feature.

Just twist the peep so the aperture cannot be looked through (i.e., 90-degrees to the bore c/l) to engage the safety - If you can't see through his peep for a shot, you'll know the safety's "on".

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

My Rossi 92 is in a different caliber, but I have not one thing that I am unhappy with. I hope you have a lot of fun with your rifle.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

Don't go lead poisoning any condors...directly or indirectly :wink:

I got the 16" stainless in 45 Colt. I wish I had the 44 Mag instead. I'm just a 44 guy. Plus, low pressure (i.e. pistol pressures) rounds spit pretty badly. I know the chamber specs date back to Custer but it is a pain in the butt that they are so sloppy. Spent the $$$ on a Redding two step sizer die and I'm hoping that helps but haven't shot those in the rifle yet.
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

Whoops...just noticed you're still in the waiting room.
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
wll
Levergunner 1.0

Post by wll »

stew71 wrote:Image

Whoops...just noticed you're still in the waiting room.
LOL, LOL.

wll
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

that will be a meat maker for sure, and Marshall's bullets are utterly dependable, they won't frag or break up on bone.
wll
Levergunner 1.0

Post by wll »

Pete44ru wrote:.

Yer in luck - Steve's drop-in peep sight retains the safety feature.

Just twist the peep so the aperture cannot be looked through (i.e., 90-degrees to the bore c/l) to engage the safety - If you can't see through his peep for a shot, you'll know the safety's "on".

I did not know that .... hummmm !!!!!

wll
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

I'm in California also, and when Steve built me my '92 .357 I had him remove the safety and plug it as it was years before he developed the peep sight. I disagree on having any problems removing the safety in California, take that thing off!
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

I have a 20" carbine, but the 16" gun makes me feel TALL....more like John Wayne...
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

jazman wrote:I'm in California also, and when Steve built me my '92 .357 I had him remove the safety and plug it as it was years before he developed the peep sight. I disagree on having any problems removing the safety in California, take that thing off!
If all else failed, I suppose a person might happen to loan the item in question to a stranger, whose name they don't remember, who could have accidentally spilled some J-B Weld on it, where it would somehow, unbeknownst to the owner, happen to be in just the right place to lock it in the 'off' position. . .
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
wll
Levergunner 1.0

Post by wll »

AJMD429 wrote:
jazman wrote:I'm in California also, and when Steve built me my '92 .357 I had him remove the safety and plug it as it was years before he developed the peep sight. I disagree on having any problems removing the safety in California, take that thing off!
If all else failed, I suppose a person might happen to loan the item in question to a stranger, whose name they don't remember, who could have accidentally spilled some J-B Weld on it, where it would somehow, unbeknownst to the owner, happen to be in just the right place to lock it in the 'off' position. . .

LOL, LOL, LMAO ... who did I loan it to, Obama ! LoL, LOL, LOL

wll