1/3 of the Motorcycles in America

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

1/3 of the Motorcycles in America

Post by Old Ironsights »

Are rolling past my front door...

Going to Sturgis... http://www.sturgismotorcyclerally.com/ http://www.sturgismotorcyclerally.com/e ... s-calendar

Some year I'm going to have to set up a Camera & DVR and make a Time Lapse...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 1/3 of the Motorcycles in America

Post by JerryB »

We made the mistake of visit kinfolk in Rapid City one year when that was going on. We drove with them all around us from here in Arkansaw all the way there.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

My cousin and he husband are among them this year, again. You'd think senior citizens would have better sense. :mrgreen:
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Went to Edgemont and back yesterday, traffic on 85 was comparable to any big city rush hour. Saw 3 different occasions when an on coming vehicle had to take the ditch to avoid a head on. Folks think they're still in city driving and won't let a semi merge over at the end of the passing lanes.... :roll:
Glad I won't have to travel that road again till the madness is over, but if yesterday was any indication, liked as not the higway death toll is going to take a big climb this week.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Went into Torrington to do some pre-noon banking and saw my first Gas Line since the '70s. :shock:

Had to have been 25 or 30 vehicles. Of course, I needed gas too, so I waited in a line of four behind one pump. :|

Was back on the road in less than 15 minutes. :mrgreen:

Motorcycle tanks are small. :twisted:
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

The streets in Lusk were just packed, you couldn't get into the place down town, and it was a tight fit to get around all the support vehicles to get to the diesel pump at the Outpost. There was surprisingly little traffic between Mule Creek and Edgemont.
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I dont ride now but I rode harleys back in the 60s, 70s, and 80s. The only big rally I ever rode was back in the 60s, maybe 1967 or so, the last death valley sponsered HD run. It was something to see. I think I started out at midnight after working a swing shift in burbank. Went up 14 to 395 and the farther I got there was campfires along the road in the middle of nowhere after mohave. Once I got in death valley it started sounding like a thunder storm! It was wild!
We live on I-15 at cedar city utah. Yesterday we were in st. george and coming back seen bikes. The ones that get me is the guys that trailer them. Just something wrong there about that to me. Years ago I knew a guy in palmdale that ran a gun shop. Probley still owns it. He trailered his nice harley to sturgis. They got a motel in denver, came out and the motor and trailer were gone!
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

The last time I was there was in 1986. It has changed a bit since then.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

:lol: That's for sure, back then a "Jap" bike showed up there was most likely offered as a sacrifice to the Harley gods, and burned at the stake... Whether or not it's owner/rider made it out :roll: ....
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I dearly love my motorcycles, but, eschew group rides/events. The average IQ seems to halve every time the size of the group doubles.... :roll: Also, I don't do patches :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
41 Redhawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 41 Redhawk »

BlaineG wrote:I dearly love my motorcycles, but, eschew group rides/events. The average IQ seems to halve every time the size of the group doubles.... :roll: Also, I don't do patches :lol:
Blaine, you might want to check out the Retreads http://www.retreads.org/. They might be more enjoyable for you.
The Lord Bless You

Terry
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

41 Redhawk wrote:
BlaineG wrote:I dearly love my motorcycles, but, eschew group rides/events. The average IQ seems to halve every time the size of the group doubles.... :roll: Also, I don't do patches :lol:
Blaine, you might want to check out the Retreads http://www.retreads.org/. They might be more enjoyable for you.
Thanks! But....Image

I can't seem to control Thor, though... :roll:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

BenT wrote:The last time I was there was in 1986. It has changed a bit since then.
You mean something like...

Me - who has put over 3,000 on my bike since May, passing a Passat full of Women who were following the Oh So Rugged looking Bikers and their 5 figure machines on their way to Sturgis... who I fell into formation behind. 50+y/o yuppies from Colorado should not try to ride bikes with hangers or pegs unless they know how... :roll:

Meh. Most of the Riders on the road don't even have the courtesy (or knowledge) to properly acknowledge a Biker going the other way. Just shows that their total Ride Time is executed only for Events and Functions and not for Real.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Old Ironsights wrote:
BenT wrote:The last time I was there was in 1986. It has changed a bit since then.
You mean something like...

Me - who has put over 3,000 on my bike since May, passing a Passat full of Women who were following the Oh So Rugged looking Bikers and their 5 figure machines on their way to Sturgis... who I fell into formation behind. 50+y/o yuppies from Colorado should not try to ride bikes with hangers or pegs unless they know how... :roll:

Meh. Most of the Riders on the road don't even have the courtesy (or knowledge) to properly acknowledge a Biker going the other way. Just shows that their total Ride Time is executed only for Events and Functions and not for Real.
http://cyrilhuzeblog.com/2011/06/21/by- ... wave-back/

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

The rudeness is by no means limited to newer/younger bike riders. When I first started Jeepin' if someone was driving anything from a flat fender to a Grand Cherokee Jeepers would wave. Then Jeep came out with the YJ and the yuppies and their puppies found them trendy. Sixteen year old girls driving the brand new, and never to be taken off road" YJ that daddy bought her for her birthday, just won't wave to fat, old, bald guys. It's just not cool.

When the YJ first came out, and they became trendy, many of us thought it was a passing phase and we would soon have a bountiful source of barely used parts available. Little did we know the darned things would be stretched and then turned into a hideous four door soccer mom car. And darn it, the YJ and TJ etc. parts just won't fit our CJ's.

Guys and gals that drive CJ's still wave or at least nod. But, few of the folks, even those driving some nicely modified and well used/abused, will so much as give you a second glance. It seems to happen with a formerly fairly exclusive "club" is invaded by the masses.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

BlaineG wrote:
41 Redhawk wrote:
Thanks! But....Image

I can't seem to control Thor, though... :roll:
Por Thor; has to act up and cause a scene just to get some affection! :lol: :P
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

A couple of years ago, I was out of town and staying in a Motel for a couple of days in South Western Kansas. A bunch of riders came through and stayed the night at the Motel I was at. They were all polite that morning at the Motel breakfast area. A couple of them really looked as if they were veterans of a dustup or three, but they were more polite than anyone else there. The one who was trailering his bike was not so friendly. That is my one experience with them, and all I can say is that appearances may be deceiving.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

piller wrote:A couple of years ago, I was out of town and staying in a Motel for a couple of days in South Western Kansas. A bunch of riders came through and stayed the night at the Motel I was at. They were all polite that morning at the Motel breakfast area. A couple of them really looked as if they were veterans of a dustup or three, but they were more polite than anyone else there. The one who was trailering his bike was not so friendly. That is my one experience with them, and all I can say is that appearances may be deceiving.
It's been my experience with many of them as well. I used to frequent a local strip club back in the day for it's cheap pool and drinks. Really, that was MOST of the reason. The place was always loaded with bikers. We had some great times in there. They were free with their money, drinks and laughs. Some nights we could go in and play pool and drink without hardly having to reach into our pockets. Bunch of great guys back then. And that wasn't he only place. I've had more trouble with cocky frat boy types than any leather clad, long haired biker.

Being said, you couldn't pay me to go to Sturgis. Not THAT much of a people person.
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I rode harley dressers a lot back in the mid sixtys into the 80s. I got away from it for a number of reasons but still highly miss it. Back I think in 1967 or 68 I rode just by myself a trip from california to wisconain and back all in bad weather. It got to be a endurance contest. I was soaked for most of the trip. I had a few bad accidents on them too, I dont think I should have lived. I hardly ever rode with a group. Wasnt my style. I always got a kick out of the claimed "We are indivigalists and not part of the herd or mainstream" sayings. Yet most groups looked and dressed just alike and rode together like a squadren of bombers. When I rode you didnt see a fraction of harley dressers on the road like you do now. I estimate I have rode about 200,000 miles in those years. Here is a couple of my old bikes including a wrecked one. I bit the dust 3 bad times. One time a crazy tried to run down and kill I and a friend.