Sixguns by Elmer Keith

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Sixguns by Elmer Keith

Post by JohndeFresno »

Many contributors here have mentioned this amazing work. Many have said that it is a must have for those who use, admire, or are contemplating a sixgun. Now I know why.

Although the out-of-print originals go for over $100 in many places, reprints are common and affordable for the price of a normal book - just Google "Sixguns Elmer Keith" and you will see many offerings.

I have read two chapters in the book so far - "Cartridge Reloading" and "Selection of Gun Cartridges;" plus a few pages from other spots in this work. It was interesting to note that many items that we discuss repeatedly here, especially to new handloaders, are all laid down in Mr. Keith's straightforward and easy to read reference.

What comes immediately to mind are his comments on:
* His "classic loads" for his Keith design bullets and why they work so well;
* His .44 Magnum handgun load and bullet out penetrates several common rifle bullets;
* Slugging your cylinders and bore, then sizing up the cast bullet by .001 inch for an accurate cartridge; something that is mentioned every couple of months on some firearms site.

But there is so much more. My next chapter will be the one called "Gunfighting."

Thanks, fellow Levergunners, for steering me to this outstanding reference book. It is one of the most fascinating and useful "gun books" that I have ever read; and I've only read two chapters. I would recommend it to anybody who has any interest in handguns, and especially six-shooters.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Sixguns by Elmer Keith

Post by J Miller »

I was given a copy of Sixguns by Keith several decades ago. I've read it till the cover is falling apart.

It is the one book on shooting I would really hate to loose.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Joe, I have put together a table, suggested by QuickLoad, that projects various loads similar to the Keith classic .45 (Blackhawk only) load of 17.5 gr. Alliant 2400, given the Blackhawk's SAAMI rated maximum pressure of 30,000 psi.

The above load, of course, is from Keith's book, "Sixguns."

I removed the loads that overly filled the case, excessively under unburned powder, were too high a pressure to suit me, or powders that I will never use, probably never see (like Somchem and Bofors). I included the ADI powders that fit here because of our Australian enthusiasts.

I will be saving this info so that if I run out of one powder, I can use the info to work up a load with other powders for (hopefully) similar results.

This is for the 255 grain Lyman SWC 454424, .452 caliber, 1.575 in. OAL in a 4.6 inch Blackhawk .45 Colt. Like always, this is for entertainment and study and not a load that I necessarily endorse as safe.

This is especially for your enjoyment, Joe. Be well!

Left to right:
Powder, Charge in grains, % of case filled, Muzzle velocity, Max Pressure created (PSI), % of Powder that Burned before bullet leaves muzzle, Time in the barrel before exiting (milliseconds), and Pressure at the Muzzle (PSI).

Norma R123 actually looks like it edges out the favored 2400 load (fill, amount burned, lower pressure) - doesn't it? I have no experience with or knowledge of that powder. Of course, this is software speaking, not live experimentation.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I use 17.0 gr of 5744 with that same bullet and it's stout enough for me for plinking. Not sure I want to try it with 20.5gr in a handgun with a grip like a SAA. Maybe a Bisley grip.

I save my really stout loads for my Redhawk
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

As I type this I can see my copy on my bookshelf, second printing I believe that was given to me by my former father in law.
He had read it until the cover and pages were tattered. I've read it multiple times as well.
If you own a Sixgun it should be required reading! :D

Great stuff!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I read it a couple times a year for the last 40 years. Not all of it, just portions. My favorite is gunfighting and game hunting. His references on bullet casting and loading are also good. Its probably why I still use Bullseye, Unique, and 2400. :D --------------6
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Elmer will always be No 1 in My Book. I have two original volumes of Sixguns. and also "Rifles For Large Game". if You really want to be amazed get a copy of "Shotguns by Keith".He was a Genius who must have never wasted any time. I wish I had $10.00 for every round I shot of His load for the Colt.18.5gr of 2400.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Yep love that book too.... Looking to get my hands on his compilation "Gun Notes"
It has got to be just chock O block full of great info and wisdom...
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY