Consensus on 9mm for HD

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Consensus on 9mm for HD

Post by J Miller »

Bruce Scotts thread on getting a Browning Hi Power got me to thinking. And of course that brought on a headache :lol: .

I am a big bore fan from way back. About the only mid bore hand gun caliber I've considered for self or home defense is the .357 Mag. Now I'm going to ask a question from this body of more experienced people a question.

What is your experience / opinion on keeping a 9mm such as the Browning Hi Power or similar as a HD weapon?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Consensus on 9mm for HD

Post by M. M. Wright »

Actually Joe, I think there are better rounds. .45 ACP comes to mind immediately but I will admit I keep a Smith 6906 or a Walther P-1 on the head of the bed and the wife keeps her Glock 39 in her car. All loaded with Winchester 147 grain HP. I've only stopped a 'possum with one but it worked just fine on Brer Possum. My truck or the tractor when I'm in it has a 1911 on board.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

A LONG WAYS BETTER 'N' NUTTIN, JOSE !!! MAKE NO MISTAKE ABOUT THIS: IF YOU CAN SHOOT ANYTHING---ANYTHING!!!---WILL WORK. AND BACK WHEN, I TOOK SHOOTING CALLS ON DANG NEAR EVERYTHING. IT WAS AMAZING !!!
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

The current debate on caliber effectiveness similar to Ford/Chevy or Winchester/Marlin. I have a personal experience that sticks with me and affects my decision. In the City Where I lived the Police Dept had about 500 officers. From 90-93 they had 9mm pistols and shot 15 people of which they were hit from 3 - 14 times and 3 died. From 94-97 the police switched to .40 cal and shot 11 people of which were hit from 2 - 7 times and all but 1 died. That one was shot above the knee twice. To me, this factual observation negated the claim that the smaller calibers are easier to shoot accurately since the total #of rounds went down and hits went up with the larger caliber. Training did not change, just guns, caliber and bullet design. The same department issues 45ACP to ERT Team (SWAT). They used less hits per person to stop them and less overall round fired than the 40's demonstrated over a ten year period. The officers with the 45's did have a higher level of pistol training so that result may be skewed somewhat. Anyway, this wasn't some story - I knew these guys and girls, heard the news as it happened and heard the recounts of events. It left a strong impression with me and shaped my pistol decisions. That being said, today's bullet technology has changed for the better across the board. Lots of civilians use a 9mm successfully to defend life and property all the time. The Hi-Power is one of my favorite pistols! Easy to shoot, reliable, comfortable to carry. If you love the pistol I'd invest in the best modern ammo that proves reliable and sleep soundly at night.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

I had a Browning High Power for years. The biggest thing I killed with it was a raccoon. Did a heck of a job. I also used 147gr HP.

The 9mm was the go to round for many military organizations around the world for many years and is still in use by some. There have been a lot of people killed with that round.

I like the .45ACP but would not feel vulnerable if the 9mm (with 147gr HP) was all I had.

Heck the largest caliber pistol/revolver I have now are three S&Ws in .38 Smith and Wesson Special - I use factory +P and load +P.

I prefer a 12ga shotgun for HD.
ED
Yer never too old
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

It ain't what you hit 'em with, it's where you hit 'em. A 9mm is fine for HD. Some shoot straighter with the lower recoil. Personally I love my Kimber 1911 .45 but more often I take my Ruger LC9 in my pocket.
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

It needs to be dead reliable in your gun; it needs to be reasonably accurate in your gun; and preferably it should have an expanding bullet of some type. Pretty much anything beyond those 3 requirements is salesmanship on somebody's part. In other words, just about anything sold as a self defense load will do.

Excalibur is a myth.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

All modern defense calibers are about the same performers with modern hollowpoints.

9mm 147 grain Federal HST is what the local departments use and it tends,when put in the right place, to do the trick with 1-2 rounds or so.

Three recent shootings involving 9 and .40 using HST were over with less than 3 rounds per incident I believe.
BrianSH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BrianSH »

SAS, GsG9, COBRA, GnCG. These guys are all certified Bad Axes. They kill their country's enemy and don't care what their name is. When the SAS retired their shot out High Powers, they bought Sig 226 in parabellum. The 45 is not proprietary were they have to pay license fees to build that caliber pistol. All of these guys are still using 9's when they can afford any pistol they want. Both Glock and H&K make high-cap 45 for the asking. But the counter terrorist teams are still using the 9.

You have access to bullets they can't use also.

When I started researching this in the late 70's, all the mags said 45. Then I'd read in the American Rifleman - Armed Citizen column - 22's, 32's, 380's, 38's; everything but the 45 and 357. All are successfully used by the general public.

Its one thing to be a door-kicker, and maybe engaging bank robbers across the street, and another thing to be close up in a parking lot, or down the hallway. - Brian
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

As I look around my computer desk (command central :lol: ) My 317 AirLite is at arms length...This does not make me quake in fear of being unprepared. The Glock 30 is a couple steps away. 1911 is in bedroom with the 12ga 870 Tactical not far from it. AirWeight by front door.....LCP always in vest pocket when I leave the house....Got to have one to use it.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I AGREE WITH TERRY MURBACH ON THIS ONE..... :D
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

AJMD429 wrote:I AGREE WITH TERRY MURBACH ON THIS ONE..... :D
+1.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

While I don't go around shooting people, the Nazis sure have and the 9 did OK for them or they would have changed. I guess the same could be said for good 'ole Joe Stalin and his murderous regime with their similar round.

Remember, cops deal the worst of the worst and the mere sight of their uniform probably pumps up the perp. I remember as a kid, back in the sixties, that hunters were told the 30-30 was too weak and everyone needed a 7 or a 300 mag, but we know better, don't we?----------6

If I was a cop, it would be the 40 or more, but as a civilian, I rarely get in condition red so a 38 caliber bullet satisfies me, plus, I know how to place a bullet.----------------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

Sure 9x19 will work, killed several hogs with it, and finished a couple of deer that other people had shot with it. I liked the 115 grain load that Corbon had (Might still have, do not have a 9 anymore) better than any of the heavier bullets that I tried though. And if you still have doubts, ask Goerge Zimmerman, worked for him.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I agree with Terry also. +++
If you can hit with any caliber it`s better than missing with a big boomer.

Speaking of missing... A while back the Portland OR area police had a run in with a bad guy that turned in to a shooting event. The police (ten of them) all emptied their 16 round magazines
(160 rounds) and not one of those shots connected with the bad guy. These are professionals??? that are paid to protect us??? :shock: :shock: :shock:
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Long time back, I carried an HP. Nice enough, but I just lack confidence in the round. If you can handle either the .357 (hey, it is bigger than that puny :wink: .355 bullet of an 9mm) or a larger semi auto caliber you'd be better off with those.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Do you think your wife could use it if she had to in a hurry?

You said home defense. You might not always be on-site.

:?:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

With the improvement I've seen in modern 9mm rounds, when it came time for me to update my daily carry choice, I went with a Kahr CM9. all the firepower in my safe does me little good if it's IN MY SAFE. The little Kahr is easy to conceal and carry comfortably, which translates into: it gets carried more frequently.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

If u place your shot at home defense ranges, a 9, 32, 22, will work as well as a 45. If you want to shoot somebody at combat ranges, use a 45.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Im a 45acp fan.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

FWiedner wrote:Do you think your wife could use it if she had to in a hurry?

You said home defense. You might not always be on-site.

:?:
Good thought. My wife, while she can shoot a 1911 doesn't like them. She prefers mid frame to small frame revolvers. So the solution is simple, she get's her own gun.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

ONLY HITS COUNT !!!

If the HP makes hits more consistant, go for it..

I prefer a .45 Colt SA revolver.. It hits where I want it to..
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Model 52B
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Model 52B »

MrMurphy wrote:All modern defense calibers are about the same performers with modern hollowpoints.

9mm 147 grain Federal HST is what the local departments use and it tends,when put in the right place, to do the trick with 1-2 rounds or so.

Three recent shootings involving 9 and .40 using HST were over with less than 3 rounds per incident I believe.
I generally agree but I think that's there's some dated information in there as well.

The move to the 147 gr HP 9mm round was a reaction to the utter failure of the temporary wound cavity and energy models of the late 1970s, but the slower, heavier 147 gr 9mm round also has had some spectacular failures to expand, particularly when having to penetrate heavy clothing.

Modern hollow points like the HST help, but the trend in 9mm self defense loads has still been toward lighter 124 gr rounds at higher velocities that seem to offer more reliable expansion in real world shoots.

I agree that properly placed 1-2 rounds of 147 gr HST will do the job, but the full truth is that 1-2 rounds of properly placed anything tend to do the job. More over, in about 40% of shoots 1 round is enough to get a "psychological" stop when the suspect realizes "OMG I've been shot...I don't like being shot!!!...I don't want to be shot any more" and then throws down the weapon even though the hit is not incapacitating. Thus 1 round of anything large enough to enable to assailant to notice he's been hit would be adequate in those cases.

In that regard I like .45 ACP and I like 9mm. I appreciate the larger wound channel of the .45 ACP, but I also realize I can get 3 rounds of 124 gr 9mm in an A zone sized target at 7 yards in the same period of time it takes for me to put 2 rounds of 230 gr .45ACP in that same A zone sized target at that same distance - and 3 smaller 9mm wound channels have some significant advantages over 2 larger .45 caliber wound channels.

So it's basically a draw and what matters with either round is proper bullet placement.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I am equally proficient with the 1911 and the DA or SA revolver in most calibers when it comes to putting the holes where I want them. I have fired the Browning HP, Glocks, and other mid bore autos as well.

My wife prefers full house .357s and the 1911 in .45.

But we are both a bit rusty. Since IL does not yet have a functional concealed carry law that point is mute. My concerns at this point is home defense. Since I am in pretty bad shape physically I cannot run, and I cannot stand and fight.

At this time all I have is 6 shot revolvers. And I may end up selling most of those to pay for medical bills. I was considering the purchase of a hi-cap auto for the home. Hense my questions.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Joe, this picture explains a lot:
Handgun_gel_comparison.jpg
My exception is that I do not put hollow points into the .380. I use Federal fmj fp, a bullet with a meplat that penetrates the same distance as my 9mm's gold dots.

even tho most people on the board are gonna poo-poo the idea, in fact .380 has a slightly better record in stopping fights, actual gun data. you know, it's the same bullet, basically, as 357, 9mm, and 38.

I'll look for the study while I enjoy the predictable reactions :wink:

maybe better than a hand gun would be the keltec sub2000 in 9 or 40 using glock mags. if you can find one.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris83716
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Chris83716 »

Two pages in and no volunteers to get shot by one of those puny 9mm. :)

Might tell you something.

Chris
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Home defense with no kids in the home? -- Rem 870 locked and loaded , but on safe, right by the bed (but that said, the High Power is a sweet pistol for sure :) ) I keep my bedside pistol loaded up with the old Black Talon rounds, as I have a very small stockpile from years ago --- but I believe Winchester marketed a very similar round , Ranger SXT, that did not have the moly coating, thus was not black -- don't know how they work in a 9mm, as this example is a 10mm, but I have seen bullets pulled from ballistic gelatin that looked as gnarly as a broadhead -- that technology is now about 25 years old though, so there may be stuff out there that works better, IDK - been outta the tactical loop for a while
----- Doug
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I'd say that if you are the more experienced and versatile shooter vs. your wife, then get what SHE is most comfortable with, and you will adapt easily. (If she were the more experienced shooter, I'd say get what you prefer, and she would adapt.) If she likes 1911's and 357's, you need not 'step down' to a 9mm, even though I think the consensus is that a 9mm WILL do the job.

One thing to consider is that if you fire a 357 or most 9mm's indoors without hearing protection, especially several times, you may wind up with permanent damage, vs. firing a 45 ACP. If you have a "first time, every time" 1911, personally I'd go with that. If not, a revolver, though I'd prefer a 750-fps'ish larger caliber bullet vs. the ear-punishing 357 Mag.

Like others have said, don't discount a shotgun or carbine of some sort, and of course a carbine could be ammo-compatible with your handgun of choice, most likely, whether 9mm, 40 S&W, 45 ACP, 357 Mag, 44-40, 44 Spl, 44 Mag, or 45 Colt. The main problem is with a carbine, you may not tend to have it in-hand when answering the door*, and a door-kicker could catch you or your wife defenseless, vs. if you have a handgun in your bathrobe pocket or whatever.

Ideally each of you should have your favorite handgun, maybe compatible with the same ammo or even same magazines. If you still can afford to have a couple long guns so much the better. Even if riots take the neighborhood, and all you have is two handguns, the two of you spittin' out 230-grain hollowpoints from a 5-gallon bucketful of ammo would be enough deterrence that you really wouldn't need much else.

-------------------------------

* now out "in the country" it isn't at all unusual for folks to tote a long-gun if they answer an unexpected knock at the door...sometimes around these parts, a travellin' salesman just might think he'd stepped onto the set of 'Secondhand Lions'**... :o :lol:

** if you haven't seen 'Secondhand Lions', you really need to click on the above link. You will want to buy or rent it immediately after seeing the salesman scene. :lol:
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

The information is not dated.

The ammo weight is HST-specific, I am familiar with what you're talking about, the early 147s were subsonic loads made for the MP5SD.

Most of the current hollowpoints do best in 115 and 124 grain, the Golden Saber and Ranger SXT specifically.

The HST has proven in real world (recent) shootings to tend to perform better with the 147 grain load.

As to 9mm vs .45....... I've carried and shot .45s for my entire life, a Glock 30 has been my carry gun for 14 years.

I carried a 9mm in the Air Force without a problem with the idea.

My training/duty gun currently is a M&P .40, only because I couldn't find a M&P 9mm in time for a decent price. Having 18 rounds ready to go (or as is common around here for a duty gun, 18 with a +3 plate or +4 plate for around 23-24 rounds before needing a reload) is nice.....

Read this....and pay attention to what he ended up using. Shot placement finished the fight.

http://www.policeone.com/patrol-issues/ ... n-the-job/
1894c

Post by 1894c »

the LE Agency that I serve carries .40S&W, we have a couple of old boys who carry a .45acp. We all carry Speer Gold-Dots, the .40 is 180gr. HP. my buds with NYPD carry the Glock 19 in 9mm, they carry 124 gr. Gold-Dot +P HP...they don't seem to complain...I really like the .40S&W, have read many incident reports on shootings, but in my honest opinion pick the caliber that you are the most comfortable and accurate with---San Diego Sheriff's Office allows their LEO's options, 9mm, .40S&W, .357Sig, and I think the .45acp... :)
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

I read all the magazines and talked to gun store salesmen and came to believe bigger was always better.

Recently more complete data is being complied from real-world shootings, and while gun writers and hangers-out at gunstore counters like to split hairs and argue minutia, it seems that most good pistol cartridges between 9x19 and .45 ACP are pretty similar in effectiveness, with skill being the most important factor.

One trend that I have noticed in this area is that newer police officers often run fancy 1911s, and then switch to more modern 9mms as they become more experienced.

We have to weigh the tradeoffs and decide what works best for us. Often factors can include things like cost, preference, or what you happen to already have.

All pistol calibers may fail to expand, may kill one guy with one shot and not the next with multiple shots - there are a lot of factors that prevent us from taking one or two examples to prove one vastly superior to another.

My philosophy is that you should use whatever effective caliber and pistol combination you shoot well and makes you happy.

I personally carry a 9mm (Caracal) and have an AR ready for home defense. I could use a .40 S&W, 357 SIG, .45 ACP, .357 Mag, etc., just as well, but I am confident in the 9mm and the Caracal shoots so nice, so that is what I chose.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

What's the advantage Joe? Capacity no? Since placement and handling are not issues for you, and that's why most people opt for a full sized 9mm, why would you choose the 9 vs a .40 or .45? Only capacity. Well, these days you have options for high capacity .45 ACPs as well! There's the Para high cap .45, the Springfield XDs, the FN high cap .45 pistols, etc. etc..

For home defense it does not need to be a small gun - get a big full sized high cap .45 auto and be done with it.

Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

MrMurphy wrote:Read this....and pay attention to what he ended up using. Shot placement finished the fight. http://www.policeone.com/patrol-issues/ ... n-the-job/
Interesting story - thanks for posting it; got me thinking about the public/news media reaction to stuff like this...
At one point Gramins heard a doctor exclaim, “We may as well stop. Every bag of blood we give him ends up on the floor. This guy’s like Swiss cheese. Why’d that cop have to shoot him so many times!”

Gramins thought, “He just tried to kill me! Where’s that part of it?”
It is likely even worse if a 'dubious' person like an ordinary citizen/ccw shoots lots of times - the armchair observers would say how it was evidence of them being sadistic or trigger-happy, instead of just surviving...it all goes back to needing to STOP the bad guy, not whether or not 'killing' him happens in the process.
Before the shooting, Gramins routinely carried 47 rounds of handgun ammo on his person, including two extra magazines for his Glock 21 and 10 rounds loaded in a backup gun attached to his vest, a 9 mm Glock 26.

Now unfailingly he goes to work carrying 145 handgun rounds, all 9 mm. These include three extra 17-round magazines for his primary sidearm (currently a Glock 17), plus two 33-round mags tucked in his vest, as well as the backup gun. Besides all that, he’s got 90 rounds for the AR-15 that now rides in a rack up front.

Paranoia?

Gramins shook his head and said “Preparation.”
Again, the news media (and unfortunately many cops, who of all people should KNOW better :roll: ) would treat an 'ordinary' citizen/ccw who carried 145 rounds as a "suspected terrorist" or otherwise assumed criminal-type... :|

jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Chris83716 wrote:Two pages in and no volunteers to get shot by one of those puny 9mm. :)

Might tell you something.

Chris
I wouldn't volunteer to be shot by an even punier .22 lr either. While a .22lr might kill, it likely won't cause the miscreant to stop what they are doing post haste.

Regardless of all the fancy bullets in the world, if you start with a larger diameter, you are assured of at least that size hole.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Joe if you check Buffalo Bore's site you will see he has 9mm +P+ at 1175 to 1550 fps in different bullet weights any 9mm running 1350- 1550 isnt collecting moss. In all reality keep your DA revolvers they work just fine for SD and if you woke up and were surrounded by the enemy they will work for that to. To much hype is made about high capacity guns what you get is spray & pray fever with them. There is a retired NYC detective who was involved in several shootings that preferred a 4" DA revolver 8 or ten guys taking a dirt nap speaks to the wisdom of his choice, a FTF and you pull the trigger again in a auto you get to rack the slide. danny
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

86er wrote:The current debate on caliber effectiveness similar to Ford/Chevy or Winchester/Marlin. I have a personal experience that sticks with me and affects my decision. In the City Where I lived the Police Dept had about 500 officers. From 90-93 they had 9mm pistols and shot 15 people of which they were hit from 3 - 14 times and 3 died. From 94-97 the police switched to .40 cal and shot 11 people of which were hit from 2 - 7 times and all but 1 died. That one was shot above the knee twice. To me, this factual observation negated the claim that the smaller calibers are easier to shoot accurately since the total #of rounds went down and hits went up with the larger caliber. Training did not change, just guns, caliber and bullet design. The same department issues 45ACP to ERT Team (SWAT). They used less hits per person to stop them and less overall round fired than the 40's demonstrated over a ten year period. The officers with the 45's did have a higher level of pistol training so that result may be skewed somewhat. Anyway, this wasn't some story - I knew these guys and girls, heard the news as it happened and heard the recounts of events. It left a strong impression with me and shaped my pistol decisions. That being said, today's bullet technology has changed for the better across the board. Lots of civilians use a 9mm successfully to defend life and property all the time. The Hi-Power is one of my favorite pistols! Easy to shoot, reliable, comfortable to carry. If you love the pistol I'd invest in the best modern ammo that proves reliable and sleep soundly at night.
Joe, I'd listen to Joe here. Ammunition quality, consistency, and effectiveness has really gone up over the last decade. I am a big fan of the 1911 in .45 ACP, but I also own six 9mm's (well, 5 really - one belongs to Y2K once he comes of age). My favorite is a Hi-Power clone from Argentina, called a "FM Detective". It is basically a commander-length Hi-Power, using the same magazines, but with a shorter barrel. Good for concealed carry (hopefully something you IL residents will get to experience soon), but good for home defense as well. Of course, for true home defense, I always recommend a pump 12 gauge. But a 9mm pistol would serve you well.
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

AJMD429 wrote:

* now out "in the country" it isn't at all unusual for folks to tote a long-gun if they answer an unexpected knock at the door...sometimes around these parts, a travellin' salesman just might think he'd stepped onto the set of 'Secondhand Lions'**... :o :lol:

** if you haven't seen 'Secondhand Lions', you really need to click on the above link. You will want to buy or rent it immediately after seeing the salesman scene. :lol:
Love that movie! I've watched 4 or 5 times. A great movie to watch with your kids.
Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! P Henry

When the Government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the Government, there is tyranny.T Jefferson
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

66GTO wrote:
AJMD429 wrote:

Love that movie! I've watched 4 or 5 times. A great movie to watch with your kids.
+1 on both counts. Saw it at my in-laws earlier in the month. Great movie!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Ysabel Kid wrote:+1 on both counts. Saw it at my in-laws earlier in the month. Great movie!
Pretty much anything Robert Duvall is in, I will probably like a lot... 8)

redhawk
Levergunner 1.0

Post by redhawk »

Scattergun is first line of home defense for me. Otherwise, larger caliber, even if slower moving than the smaller, faster pills generally create larger wound channels. Works for me on wild game and would also on two legged predators.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

update on the handgun stopping data:

http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/node/7866

and repost of the gel penetration comparisons for comparison purposes:
Handgun_gel_comparison.jpg
and the 300 yard .22LR penetration test:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAkOzr6c ... nown-vrecs
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

"If u place your shot at home defense ranges, a 9, 32, 22, will work as well as a 45. If you want to shoot somebody at combat ranges, use a 45."

Not my experience. The trajectory of the 45 ACP is so high that expecting to hit anything at "combat' ranges is for most people wishful thinking. With my nines I can sight it at 25 yards and still keep on a silhouette easily at 100-plus yards. With the 45 the darn bullet will likely bounce before it gets there. I also currently, shoot .22. 32 ACP. 32 H&R, 380, 38 special, 357, 40 S&W, 41 Magnum, 44 Special, 44 Magnum, 45 ACP, 45 Colt. Personally I find the 9mm the best long range auto round and the 357 the best combat round revolver round.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

.357 Sig will shoot flatter than typical 9mm, but a 9mm +P+ will perform similarly. Since the Sig was intended to match the 125 grain .357 Magnums it's not overly surprising.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

You could always load .454dia RB's in your 45 Colt to about 1200fps. Hornady makes some "hard lead" RB's you could probably push to 1500fps or so.

edited; Tho the R-P 115gr JHP's are nothing I would want to stand in front of. I put 15 rounds of it into a 3" circle at 7 yards in 6 seconds or so. Tho aiming center mass, the group was high and to the right. My 45Auto took about the same time to get 8 shots into a 4" group pretty much dead center of silhouette.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

PillHer can shoot my old Ruger P85 with any brand of ammunition I put in it. That is what she has chosen for her home defense firearm, and it is 9mm. SightHunter uses her Kahr in 9mm, and she is pretty good with it. They both choose the 9mm due to the accuracy and their ability to handle the recoil from it. I get them the best ammo I can, and try to get them to practice as often as possible. Practice is probably more important than the caliber choice when you think about the quality and design of modern ammunition anyway.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I have shot quite a bit of stuff with the 9mm, and I have found a good hollowpoint round to do pretty good on wild dogs and smaller vermin I have also over the years ended up putting down several cows over a lifetime and on brain shots with the 9mm I found it usually took more shots then even the 40 calliber. I could definitely tell the 40cal hit harder on the heavier animals, as did the 44 and 45 caliber guns I have used.

However, I don't have a problem with the 9mm for home defense if that is what you are comfortable with. I own and carry at times, a Glock 17, 19, and 26. But I don't think the 9mm Browning Hi-power is all that good a choice for home defense or carry, unless it has been customized and even then my first choice would be something else, Glock 9mm or even a 1911 45acp, because I have not found the Hi-power to be all that reliable out of the box, and the slide is a little hard to manipulate IMHO. As they come out of the box, the hammer spring is too strong and the slide spring is too weak. Granted they have a fair trigger that can be made better, but they are a gun lover's gun, and not nearly as good a choice as many others in 9mm for home defense or carry.
NRA Life Member, Patron
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

BAGTIC wrote:"If u place your shot at home defense ranges, a 9, 32, 22, will work as well as a 45. If you want to shoot somebody at combat ranges, use a 45."

Not my experience. The trajectory of the 45 ACP is so high that expecting to hit anything at "combat' ranges is for most people wishful thinking. With my nines I can sight it at 25 yards and still keep on a silhouette easily at 100-plus yards. With the 45 the darn bullet will likely bounce before it gets there. I also currently, shoot .22. 32 ACP. 32 H&R, 380, 38 special, 357, 40 S&W, 41 Magnum, 44 Special, 44 Magnum, 45 ACP, 45 Colt. Personally I find the 9mm the best long range auto round and the 357 the best combat round revolver round.
25 yards with a HANDGUN IS COMBAT RANGE. home defense is different from what an Infantry man, LEO, or handgun hunter requires.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

I have listened and participated in the HD arguments for years with each side saying they had the truth. I live less than 3 miles from the US/Mexico border and live hip and thigh with the Mexican drug thugs and the possibility of a violent encounter is higher than it is in many other parts of the country.

I carry a Glock 19 and have it and a Glock 17 in the house along with an Uzi carbine leaning beside the wall. I have top notch JHP ammo in them all. I also shoot allot and feel confident I can give a good account of myself in any problems with bad people.

Do, I think the 9mm is better than something larger? No it is not, but I am confident it will do the job if the need arises. I sleep well.

I have grown very weary of the caliber wars. Everybody is an expert, quick to wax eloquent on the subject, yet nobody has shot anybody. Nothing but theory, charts and opinions. Lots of people killed in my part of the world and the vast majority of them are killed with grenades, 223 rounds out of an AK or AR. If a handgun is used it is a 9mm. Of course there are many killed with chain saws across the neck as well.

When it comes to living or dying , the most import piece of equipment is you brain. That is what will decided if you live or die. If you have the will and skills to live, what you have in your hand really isn't all that important.

This morning after early church a bunch of us gathered for breakfast in a local café. My wife remarked that about half of the people at the table (10 of us) were packing. Even the Rector/Priest had a handgun and a bad butt knife. This stuff gets to be more than theory for those of us who live "On the Border by the sea".
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Different factors to consider.
Most of us on here can just tell you what we read(how a 9mm works on assailants)???? Not personal experience.

Given that fact-------"if" I only had a 9mm handgun to use(then I would run Critical Duty Ammo in it and make sure I could hit what I aimed at.(like any other gun)

If I had other choices, I would choose something else. For HD my first choice is a very legally short shotgun. I want to feel (as confident as humanly possible that the first shot, does what needs doing)since I am not recoil sensitive I choose the 12ga 15pellet 00Buck.

900grs of lead at between 1200-1300fps hitting anywhere upper center mass========dropping Thor's hammer.
I have yet see any evidence of someone getting hit (upper center mass)at HD distance with a 15pellet 00Buck and not being put down.

If by some god unreal means they pull a zombie "Jason" or "Michael" (Friday the 13th / Halloween)number two shot could be an option. If 30 pellets of 00Buck don't work best just hand them over your gun and kiss your own a## sayonara. :shock: Cause something's up!

7rds capacity----------take care of about anything. That with big bad dog in home(why not feel secure)
9mm---------------------------------------na!

MY 1st CHOICE BELOW------------

http://www.basspro.com/Remington-870-Ma ... /10217919/

http://www.aceshighbullmastiffs.net/kings.html