What rifle??

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

What rifle??

Post by RustyJr »

I was wondering what everyone is using for their deer rifle/rifles this year. I posted a picture of my grandfather's deer rifle in another post. I figure I will use that and my Ruger 77 Hawkeye also in 270 Winchester. I reckon we'll through in the Elk rifles in for you fellas that live out west. What are y'all using and how is it "set up"?

RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: What rifle??

Post by TedH »

I'm planning on deer hunting with the 45-70 Sharps.
NRA Life Member
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

It depends in what terrain Iam hunting usually a 99 in 300 with a 1-5 scope for close or medium shots for deer&elk and long range for predators. Ive never felt undergunned with a 30-30 and have dropped several deer&elk with one its my preferred gun when I go into the alder thickets looking for elk. I also have used a 348 but they are heavy for walking around the mtns. as a saddle gun, truck gun and work gun a 94 30-30 is hard to beat. danny
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I work 16 hrs a day, 5-6 days a week and am not eligible for vacation until 2014...

Like I get to go hunting... :roll: :evil:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Hopefully this rifle gets back in time with it's 44-77 barrel.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

That's purrrrrrdy Don. 8) Is that a C. Sharps?
NRA Life Member
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

No Ted that's my #3 Shiloh, it was 45-70.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Elk rifle = Remington 141 35 Rem.
lotsasightson141.jpg
Deer rifle = Marlin 336A 30/30
1Marlin30loaded.jpg
But that's a couple of months away and I have been known to change mind. Lots of options, all needing some field time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Probably be a sporterized 1903 Springfield with a Leupold scope, either 4x or a 2-7x, and 180 gr loads.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
1894c

Post by 1894c »

BigSky56 wrote:It depends in what terrain Iam hunting usually a 99 in 300 with a 1-5 scope for close or medium shots for deer&elk and long range for predators. Ive never felt undergunned with a 30-30 and have dropped several deer&elk with one its my preferred gun when I go into the alder thickets looking for elk. I also have used a 348 but they are heavy for walking around the mtns. as a saddle gun, truck gun and work gun a 94 30-30 is hard to beat. danny
BigSky56 -- the .30 W.C.F. in a Winchester 94 is my rifle of choice too. I own two now, one made in 1978 and one made in 1979, both have Williams FP receiver sights. After experimenting with many different levers and calibers, and allot of great advice on this forum I landed on this combo... :)
1894c

Post by 1894c »

earlmck wrote:Elk rifle = Remington 141 35 Rem.
earlmck -- boy every time I see one of your 35 Remington's it really has me thinking. my buddy back-east bought a Marlin in 35-Rem and has been having allot of fun shooting it, he said it's one of the best kept secrets in hunting rifle/caliber, he is totally sold, even bought dies and bullets....aaaaarrrrrgggggghhhhhh.... :O
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

This one for the start of the muzzleloader season

and this one for the regular season

FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I don't hunt the local deer anymore. Not enough return on investment.

But If I were to change my mind, I'd most likely go with a .356 or .358 Winchester, depending on where I was hunting anf the animal I was after.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

In Indiana you really can't use "rifles" unless they are chambered in 'handgun' rounds.

That pretty much leaves us using lever-action 44 Mags or 45 Colts or 357 Mags. For me the 44 Mag my first handgun, so I just stuck with that.

Here's the "choices" our family generally picks from:
Image[/URL]
My favorite - the Ruger 96/44 set up with a scope so I can see in dawn/dusk, and <gasp> a laser which actually helps confirm shot placement in dim light and helps pick up intervening saplings I might not be able to see well. I like the four shot detachable magazine for unloading quickly when coming in the house with frozen fumble-fingers. The 'recoil pad' is from a 10/22, and serves two purposes - it lengthens the pull a bit, and it keeps the butt from sliding on slick floors.

The "Rain Gun" - all-stainless/synthetic Ruger 77/44 bolt action with NECG clamp-on aperture sight that goes in the Ruger ring cut.

The Shiny Lever - NOT a true "rain gun" in my opinion because the forend is a pain in the butt to remove. Still I like it as 'handy' and good for daytime hunting with the Williams FP sights.

My Son's Marlin - set up with a scope also for twilight hunting.

My Daughter's Rossi - she likes the Marble's Bullseye sights on it for fast sight picture.

I like the Marlin with the Williams FP sights because they are so unobtrusive..

The 50 Beowulf IS legal here though, and I really thought about using it - just because I can...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Nothing fancy. I will be using my Guide Gun most likely, -----but possibly could take out my '47 vintage 32 SPL for a change of pace.

If I take a trip to CO with elk on my mind, I have a Weatherby on 300 WBY mag that will get the nod. I would love to use the Guide Gun here too, but the possibility of a 300 yard shot here is too great, and I Am better at figuring trajectory with a 300 mag than a 45/70
----- Doug
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

With any luck I will let blood out with Model 99 TD in 300, 444 and 1894FG. I have other but I have not shot anything with these yet.
papabear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by papabear »

35 Marlin 44 hennry and my hawkins 50 cal
PARENTS DON'T TAKE PICTURES OF THEIR KIDS PLAYING VIDEO GAMES
====================================================================
For Those Who Understand No Explanation Is Needed
For Those Who Don't None Will Do
====================================================================
Member Of The N.R.A.-North American Hunting club-Syosset Gun Club
samb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by samb »

I will have my BSA majestic featherweight 30-06 toped with a Vortex scope. Light and handy. Seams to love 180 Gr bullets.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I get to shoot from 3 to 5 deer in my home State and I travel to hunt too. I like to use a different rifle for each occasion, sticking with one until I shoot with it. I typically start with 50cal in-line and then go to a 50cal side lock. I've not used my 35-30 cal Henry so I want to try that. Then I will use something classic like a Rem 8 in 35 Rem or a Rem 141 same caliber. Mule deer will see my 7mm-08 semi custom bolt or my Sav 99 in 308 pointed at them. I like my Rem 7600 in 35 Whelen for elk. Then there is the trip for Columbia Blacktail, Antelope, Black bear, .... Good to have choices!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

I still need to hunt my 358 BLR takedown. The deer here are small so I may get out the 32-20s and harvest with them. 1913 Win 1892 and 1923 Rem Model 25.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Just my (blood) thirsty (and trusty) .30-30 Winchester Model 94 Trapper.............. :roll:

It's been long setup with a steel Lyman peep & a Williams FireSight fibre-optic front sight blade.

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I remember deer hunting... fondly, even.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Freezer is empty so I am going for three deer this year, God willing. I will start the season with my longbow or recurve. in early BP season it will be my latest flintlock, a 16 bore smoothbore. I will hunt then with my sharps, using BP cartridges in the regular season, Then hopefully in late season will be back out with the smoothbore.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Reckon I'll start in October with my old Long Rifle with .45 patched round ball and about 90 grains of 3f. Nov. rifle will be the Win. 94 38-55, then a 30wcf or the 1892 32wcf,or a Rossi Hartford 92 in .45 Colt, or Rossi 92 .357, or 1898 30-40 Krag, orrrrrrrrrr,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

AJMD429 wrote:...
The 50 Beowulf IS legal here though, and I really thought about using it - just because I can...
If I could arrange it, I'd like to use My HK91 just to annoy the feebs...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

For me , the same old same old .
It will be a Marlin lever .
Caliber just depends on which one calls out the loudest on my way out the door in the morning .

Top to bottom 32 WS , 35 Rem , 44 Mag .

Phil
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

My last four bucks were taken with my trusty Browning 1895 in .30-40 Krag. I'm thinking of using something different this year, but having difficulty making up my mind...

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
redhawk
Levergunner 1.0

Post by redhawk »

Ruger 77 in 270 or 308. Both guns are identical in set up and ready to go. Otherwise, it will be a Marlin in 35 Rem. All handloaded, of course.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

I may end years of non-hunting this year. I travel in awesome back country for my job in Alberta, a deer hunters paradise. I'm trying hard to get into sufficient fitness to actually hunt.

I will use my Win 94 32 Special as a carry rifle at work for unexpected oppurtunities. For dedicated hunting days it will be the 444. If I ever get any good with it the lefty .54 Lyman Deerstalker might get tried.
ethang
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ethang »

I wish we could use rifles here. ML or shotguns only. There has been talk of pistol caliber rifles but the DNR has been opposing them. When you can use a modern inline ML that has the range and power of a 45/70 it is pretty stupid to not allow rifles or at least pistol caliber rifles. What do we know though. They are the smart ones in charge....

If I go out I will use my Encore .50 cal. It has been stellar for the last 10 years. The only time I use a shotgun anymore is if we are going to do a drive, which is not often.
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

RustyJr wrote:I was wondering what everyone is using for their deer rifle/rifles this year. I posted a picture of my grandfather's deer rifle in another post. I figure I will use that and my Ruger 77 Hawkeye also in 270 Winchester. I reckon we'll through in the Elk rifles in for you fellas that live out west. What are y'all using and how is it "set up"?

RustyJr
Rusty, my latest build. A custom FN Mauser re-barreled into .270 for long-range mule deer/antelope/caribou work. It'll be topped with a 3x9 Redfield, and currently sits in a Hogue stock with a Timney trigger. Still getting this one dialed in for the season.

A Ruger 77RSI in .243 when I'm up in the Sierra Nevada chasing blacktails from meadow to meadow. Wearing a Weaver 2x7. Wonderful little gun that's pure joy to carry in the woods. It's taking the place of my beloved Marlin 336 30-30 that's currently on loan to my Dad.

And a Browning 95 in 30/40 Krag when I'm hunting the deep timber and oak foothills. Outfitted with a replica Lyman sight. Shoots 165gr Sierra handloads like a dream to 150 yds. My eyes can't go much beyond that with irons.

Mustn't forget the charcoal burner either. T/C .54cal Hawken. Used for the early season hunt. She's still a virgin so maybe this will be her year.
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

State regs will keep my rifles put away so it will probably be the trusty 870 smoothbore again this year. Although I am seriously considering going handgun only this year, Ruger Security Six.
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

As it has been for quite some time now:

'94 Timber Carbine chambered for the venerable .444 Marlin, as the go to gun.

'94 Black Shadow for wet/snow, again chambered for the venerable .444 Marlin.

Mid-day walk about gun...'94 Winchester Trapper chambered for the .44 Magnum, this little beauty has taken 13 whitetail, one black bear, and a large bull Elk up in the Bitteroots down by the Clarke Fork.

Then, when Don sends me some 44-77 brass, I will load (.446 sized 385 gr, 77 grs FFg) them for my 71-84 Mauser and attempt to carry that beast for a day or so.

Also would like to haul around one of my Trapdoors too.

For muzzleload'n season, will only bring out my Great Plains hunter.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

OTHunter, I saw on the news today theres a 6300 ac fire north of Superior called the West Mullen fire I remembered you have some property down in that area FYI. danny
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Ive been picking a different Lever gun & chamber size for some years now
This year for Deer & Antelope im down to 357 - 45 Colt or 32 WS
with any luck ill have to buy another Lever Gun for next year :D

ollogger
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

BigSky56 wrote:OTHunter, I saw on the news today theres a 6300 ac fire north of Superior called the West Mullen fire I remembered you have some property down in that area FYI. danny
Danny, little bit east of there, north of Frenchtown.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

OTH, theres one NW of Frenchtown too. danny
http://www.krtv.com/news/mill-creek-fir ... 0-acres/#_
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

BigSky56 wrote:OTH, theres one NW of Frenchtown too. danny
http://www.krtv.com/news/mill-creek-fir ... 0-acres/#_
Thanks Danny, would have to go right through there to get back to my property. I am up the feed river to the Clark Fork 'bout ten-eleven miles past the foot hills (where it is all saw grass that you can see in the pictures) half way up the canyon in the big timbers on relatively flat step.
Model 52B
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Model 52B »

Most likely I'll take my Big Bore 94 in .375 Win.

geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

My first choice will be my 40-82.

Second choice is my model 64 in 32 Win. Special. This is a really sweet gun with a great trigger and its light as a feather when compared to the 86!

If I get desperate, I can always go back to the old standby, a 308 BLR.