Winchester 32 W.C.F. Question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AzExplorer
Levergunner

Winchester 32 W.C.F. Question

Post by AzExplorer »

I have a Winchester Model 1892 32 W.C.F. with an Octagon barrel manufactured around 1915. It's in very good condition and had been checked out by a gunsmith. I'm having trouble finding 32-20 ammo and read that I can use 7.62 x 39mm ammo.
I have a box of "Wolf 7.62 x 39mm 122 GR. HP Steel Case" ammo and need to know if this ammo is safe to use in my old rifle.
Thanks in advance for any help.
AzExplorer
Hobie

Re: Winchester 32 W.C.F. Question

Post by Hobie »

NO! Who in the heck wrote that? :!: .32 WCF is a RIMMED case, 7.62x39 is rimless and that is aside from all the other dimensional differences.
32-20win.jpg
cd762x39.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Welcome and it's a good thang U came here first. I'm not sure U can even load that round into Ur 92. That ammo is available but rather expensive if U can find it. If U reload and plan on shooting it You r good to go.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Jump on this, AZ: Powder Valley http://www.powdervalleyinc.com shows 32/20 in stock as of moments ago.

And yeah, that 7.62X39 looks close enough to be tempting but from Hobie's dimensions it wouldn't chamber. The rim/rimless thing isn't necessarily a deal breaker but that base diameter sure would be...
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

That's like trying to chamber a 38-56 into one designed for a 38-55. It would never happen.
Last edited by jdad on Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
AzExplorer
Levergunner

Post by AzExplorer »

OK - Now I'm confused. Is the 32 W.C.F. the same as a Winchester 32-20? I thought they were and the article I read by "Paco" actually said the 32-20 and the 7.62x39mm were interchangable.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

AzExplorer wrote:OK - Now I'm confused. Is the 32 W.C.F. the same as a Winchester 32-20? I thought they were and the article I read by "Paco" actually said the 32-20 and the 7.62x39mm were interchangable.
32-20 is the same as the 32 Winchester Center Fire. One is an old western cowboy round. The other is a Soviet battle rifle round.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

The bullet diameter may be sort of interchangable, but the cartridges are not.

From Paco's article,

"...For the leverguns that are older and have a bit of an overbore, the various 123 grn soft nose slugs made for the 7.62X39mm work very well..."

That would be the bullets (projectile only, not complete cartridge), loaded in to 32-20 cases.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
AzExplorer
Levergunner

Post by AzExplorer »

Malamute wrote:The bullet diameter may be sort of interchangable, but the cartridges are not.
Maybe that's where the confusion is. Article's writer was speaking of bullet diameter. It's easy to see the cartridge would never chamber. Thanks everyone for helping me figure this out. Only problem is -- I'm back to my search for 32-20 ammo. The box of 7.62x39mm is now sort of worthless to me. :( Thought I'd found something I could use.
Thanks Again
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Welcome to the forum, by the way.. I guess I missed your first post.

I can see how you might have read that as meaning the one cartridge could be used in the other. I've made sillier mistakes. There are some substitutions that CAN be made on occasion that are surprising but safe. That's just not one of them.

Don't ask how I know you CAN shoot 444 Marlin ammo out of a 45-70; my groups were sure bad that day... :oops:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

It may be good trade stock. :D

You should be able to turn up some 32-20 loads somewhere in your area. They may not be cheap, but save your brass, and before long, you'll be reloading, even if with the simple Lee Loader ($25) or a Lyman 310 tool (about $75-$100 if you stumble on one reasonably)

Edit: I just looked up the Lee Loaders, it seems they arent made in that cal now, but turn up for sale now and then, but for more than I thought they'd be. Regular dies and an entry level priced press may be worthwhile to keep your gun shooting cheaply.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

AzExplorer wrote: The box of 7.62x39mm is now sort of worthless to me.
Whoa, there... now only an amateur lever gunner would say something like that...!

That ammo is how you 'justify' getting a Handi-Rifle in 7.62x39, or a Ruger Mini-30 Ranch Rifle, or an AK, or an Encore barrel chambered for it (and...the magic continues - if you don't have an Encore, why that Encore barrel is just wastin' money sittin' around 'lessun you buy yourself an Encore receiver :wink: ).

They are all 'lever guns' by the way; the lever is just shaped different and in a different place. On the AK's and Ruger Ranch rifles they even go back and forth all by theirselves, too...!
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Great round! Easy to reload for.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Here's what you can do with that round:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfpAubkUrhA
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

No ammo is useless.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Tycer wrote:Here's what you can do with that round:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfpAubkUrhA
Now THAT is some good 32-20 shootin'...!!! I think it is an underappreciated round these days in terms of accuracy, range, and power.