Levers VS The Outdoor Channel

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Eye-Bite!
Levergunner 2.0

Levers VS The Outdoor Channel

Post by Eye-Bite! »

On the Outdoor Channel, there is quit a bit of everything but Lever guns. Time for a change I would think! TC, Bolts, Blonds, Competition, Bows, ... you get the point.
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Levers VS The Outdoor Channel

Post by Griff »

Eye-Bite! wrote:On the Outdoor Channel, there is quit a bit of everything but Lever guns. Time for a change I would think! TC, Bolts, Blonds, Competition, Bows, ... you get the point.
I'm not sure an audience of all 100 levergunner regulars as a market focus group will sell to the advertisers! :twisted: :P :lol: :(
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Eye-Bite!
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Eye-Bite! »

Should any program be developed or aired around the use of Leverguns, I reserve the right to all royalties etc.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I'm betting if they did it and did it well, to show the unexpected strengths of leverguns (some are very accurate and some are very powerful and most are very rapid-firing), vs. bolt guns or semiautos, it would attract an audience, and maybe interest some folks in buying leverguns.

If Marlin or Browning had a good marketing dept., they'd already have some excellent shooters prepared with their leverguns to go on the shows like that and do their stuff. Of course Rossi could do it, but they don't really have a U.S. manufacturer to have the motivation. Savage and Ruger no longer make leverguns, and I'm not sure what or where 'Winchester' actually is these days.

IF Marlin (Remlin) got some good shooters on the tube with their products and could 'showcase' them it would be nice. (Also be nice if they fix their production line pronto).

QUESTION - aren't most of the patents on Marlin's designs LONG expired, just like Winchesters...???

Could not some other gunmaker just start making 'Marlins' again, and doing it right...???
Maybe they could even beef-up the design to handle longer or hotter rounds, or something like that.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

The one Mountain Monsters guy carries a late Model 99...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Hobie wrote:The one Mountain Monsters guy carries a late Model 99...

I seen that last night for the first time

I seldom watch the ODC or any of them, But there is a guy that uses a big 86 in Africa once in a great while
I can watch him, the rest of them drives me crazy

ollogger
loader
Levergunner 1.0

Post by loader »

I did see one episode of program on one of the outdoor channels, that was supposed to be a fellow who was going to try and take one of all North American big game with the first rifle his father gave him.A Winchester 94 in 30-30. The one I saw he did a fair job on a bison on what looked to be a ranch type hunt. Not sure what happened to it since I never saw another. Thought it was shame if it went no further even though I am not a fan of hunting programs in general.
Never take life seriously, cause there's no way of getting out of it alive.
keyston44
Levergunner

Post by keyston44 »

loader wrote:I did see one episode of program on one of the outdoor channels, that was supposed to be a fellow who was going to try and take one of all North American big game with the first rifle his father gave him.A Winchester 94 in 30-30. The one I saw he did a fair job on a bison on what looked to be a ranch type hunt. Not sure what happened to it since I never saw another. Thought it was shame if it went no further even though I am not a fan of hunting programs in general.
The show is called Trophy Quest. I tried to follow the show but to often they would stray away from the "Quest" and do more everyday hunting.

Key
"Hatred is the cowards answer for being intimidated"
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Last edited by cshold on Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dennie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dennie »

We would need to upgrade our Directv to get the ODC, and it already costs just a few cents under $100 per month now. So, prolly not gonna happen. Seeing lever guns in action would be nice. I do remember a blonde gal a couple years ago that hunted the big game of the world. A fine looking woman! Her name may have been Cindy Carpenter. Cannot remember the name, but surely remember her. :lol: :)
dennie
NRA Benefactor Member/Bluegrass Picker
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

dennie wrote:We would need to upgrade our Directv to get the ODC, and it already costs just a few cents under $100 per month now. dennie

I'm saddled down with DTV due to my somewhat rural location --- but man , I don't know how, where, or when, but it seems the service used to be a lot less --- every month the bill ratchets up ever higher -- roughly the same with my land line telephone service -- used to be pretty cheap - 45-50 bucks or so for a land line and DSL internet -- now more like $80

-- oh well that was off topic --- but on topic, I don't think a levergun specific show would make me watch any of that stuff any more - a hunting show is a hunting show regardless of the means of launching the projectile, to me.
Kind of like watching baseball for me - i'd much rather play baseball/softball or go to the ballpark to catch a game - than watch it on tv
----- Doug
rogn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rogn »

On the tactical end of things; at one time Mike Venturino who writes about cast bullets and less mainstream firearms went to a tactical class such as for LEO. The instructor asked him to bring one of his more vintage levers. There were as you may expect snorts and hoots. At the end of the session, when all the supertech folk had done their best, the instructor noted that Mr Venturinos 44-40 bullet holes were "all in the middle" of the targets. It would be interesting to see such a comparison done, especially as some of the mil/tact folk seem to be mediocre marksman at best. Just a thought.
41 Redhawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 41 Redhawk »

Rob Pincus of ICE Firearms and Self Defense Training did a segment on Best Defense a while back on lever guns. He covered pretty well and fairly the advantages and disadvantages of using one. In that segment he used a 30/30. I have seen other videos where he used pistol caliber cartridge lever guns. Reloading sure is slower than popping in another 30 rounder!
The Lord Bless You

Terry
rogn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rogn »

Yeah, but you can keep feeding them in one at a time. Further more hitting the designated aggressor may eliminate the need for increased capacity!
Pete 22
Levergunner

Post by Pete 22 »

Last night Midway's Gun stories on the Outdoor Channel had a whole show about the Winny 73. But yes, lever gun specific programming is pretty slim.

Pete 22
Those who would sacrifice freedom for tempory security deserve neither. - Ben Franklin
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Pete 22 wrote:Last night Midway's Gun stories on the Outdoor Channel had a whole show about the Winny 73. But yes, lever gun specific programming is pretty slim.

Pete 22
Indeed! Link here, wish it was the full episode, but it's a nice few minutes: http://outdoorchannel.com/showvideos.as ... ufxDHziVbv

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

used to be some good fly fishing there :mrgreen:

Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

Griff wrote:
Eye-Bite! wrote:On the Outdoor Channel, there is quit a bit of everything but Lever guns. Time for a change I would think! TC, Bolts, Blonds, Competition, Bows, ... you get the point.
I'm not sure an audience of all 100 levergunner regulars as a market focus group will sell to the advertisers! :twisted: :P :lol: :(
I hear you might be able to get the CAS scene on board with that. You might get 50-60 more there ;)
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Panzercat wrote:
Griff wrote:
I hear you might be able to get the CAS scene on board with that. You might get 50-60 more there ;)
Nope, even with some 30,000 active Cowboy action shooter's, they didn't represent enough of a draw to keep "Cowboys" on the air! The producer couldn't get advertisers.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!