Western Bowie

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Western Bowie

Post by pwl44m »

Well in case U weren't bored enough I thot I would add to You misery. At least it is something NEW as a posting anyhow.
Was in the only Hock shop in town the other day to see if They had anything new. Nothing in the way of Guns but as I left I looked in the display window and this Bowie caught My eye. I went back in a fondled it a bit and bought it. No haggling just gave Them what They were asking.$89.95. The Gal wrote it up and said "how about $90 even" that's fine with Me. Now U all know I have fondness for Knives and know enough about them to get in trouble, but I don't think that was too much.
A couple pics fo U to gander and let Me know what U think.
Perry
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: Western Bowie

Post by Old Savage »

That should be a handy camp knife.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Easily worth what you gave, and it's a good looker, too... :mrgreen:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

That's a nice knife! :D Wadda think, from the 1950's? Worth every bit of $90. What's $90 today...a tank and a half of gas?

I see you had to push all of the rest of your tools forward so you had a place to take a pic of the knife. :D -----------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Nice :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

I remember those knives well and I always liked them. Did Camillus make the Western bowie? I know that they were marketed as Coleman items once also.

Great camp knife!!
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Think you should have asked the girl to display it. :)
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

That's a REALLY nice knife.. :mrgreen:
I once had a cheap knock off Pakistani version of that knife, nowhere near the quality though but it sure got the attention of some gypsies I had a confrontation with... :lol:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Nazgul
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Nazgul »

I have one, actually had it out yesterday to oil/sharpen it. Bought it in the early or mid 70's. Not a bad knife.

Don
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I love big Bowie knifes. My first big Bowie is the very same knife. It's served me well. I have carried mine a lot when bow hunting when it wasn't legal to carry a gun while bow hunting, for self protection. And the big knife works great for building blinds, clearing shooting lanes, etc.

The more civilized the country gets, the smaller and more ornate the weapons become, but the Bowie was born when a man needed a knife he could depend on. IMHO it's still one of the best designs going when one really needs a knife.

You bought a fine knife.
NRA Life Member, Patron
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Thx for the reassuring comments Guys. This knife will Probably never see a Deer or a tree branch or even a Cong again unless someone else takes possession of it.
From all the info I can glean it is an early 70s Western Bowie, before Camillus and Coleman. It has some rust spots as U can see in the pics that are prolly Deer blood. I am assuming it was cleaned up a little by the Hock Shop or maybe by the previous owner. There is a name carved into the handle and on the Sheath. Makes one kinda wonder where this knife has been. The sheath is pretty well worn but by no means worn out. There is a lot of History on these knives and seemed to have been very popular for use in Vietnam.
As U can see if U have followed any of My other Knife acquisitions that they tend to be in the same shape as most of the Guns that I acquire (well used) :lol: they r cheaper that way don't Ya know. Besides it is not the quality of the Toys, It's the One with the "Most" toys that wins. :lol:
Perry
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I think, but not really sure that those were sold under the Camillus and Winchester brands also. Made from the early '60s thru the '70s. I have the Winchester branded one, came in a tin box w/sheath. Yep, easily worth $90! You see them on E-Bay.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Griff, the ones I see on the Bay are considerably more but r in like new condition.
Perry
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

There's somethin' about a big knife that just makes a fella feel... ready.

:wink:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

FWiedner wrote:There's somethin' about a big knife that just makes a fella feel... ready.

My Mother was more afraid of a knife than She was a Gun, just couldn't stand the thought of being Cut.
Perry
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

pwl44m wrote:
FWiedner wrote:There's somethin' about a big knife that just makes a fella feel... ready.

My Mother was more afraid of a knife than She was a Gun, just couldn't stand the thought of being Cut.
Perry

Isn't there a popular G.S. Patton quote along the lines of:

"Nothing strikes terror into the heart of a man quite like the thought of having his guts probed with a cold piece of steel."

:shock:

:lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Great knife.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Perry, when I first looked at your pictures of the knife and case I thought that it had probably been carried in Nam.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

JerryB wrote:Perry, when I first looked at your pictures of the knife and case I thought that it had probably been carried in Nam.
It very well could have been, it is the right time frame. And with the Guys name on the knife and sheath, U know how those GIs are.
Perry
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

I've got one down stairs. Now I'll go get it out and give it a loving grip before I go to bed.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Birdman wrote:I've got one down stairs. Now I'll go get it out and give it a loving grip before I go to bed.
U could even post a Pic, I wouldn't mind.
Perry
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

My Western Bowie is almost 30 years old. I had the false edge sharpened like the character that my name here is based upon. It is awe-inspiring to say the least.

I actually carried that knife quite a bit as a young man. Became known for it. One of my favorite funny stories is about my bowie. I came home one weekend from college and found my 14 year old younger sister in our rec room with a boy sitting on her lap as they were kissing. Now my sister was a peanut - the the boy even smaller. They didn't hear me come in, so I walked up to them and grasped the young lad by the neck and lifted him off my sister. Shaking him "vigorously", I asked "just what do YOU think you're doing?". I then dropped him to the floor and left to go change for work.

When I came out 5 minutes later the two were sitting practically at opposite corners of the room. He was trying so hard to look innocent that you could see the halo he was projecting over his head. I came up to him, put my arm around his shoulder and said: "Corey, that is my one and only baby sister."

"Huh-huh" he replied.

"And I'm very protective of her."

"Huh-huh".

Then I leaned in close, and continued. "You know those fuzzy dice they hang from rearview mirrors in cars?"

"Yeah?" he said, rather puzzled.

Closer still now. "Well, if you touch MY little sister below her neck, I'm going to take my bowie knife, and cut you nut$ off and hang them from my rearview mirror - JUST LIKE THAT."

He turned white as a ghost. Never saw the young lad again. In fact, I don't think my sister had a date until she was out of high school! :wink:
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

That's funny YK, did U show the Bowie or just the mere mention was enough ? :lol:
Perry
PriseDeFer
Levergunner 2.0

Post by PriseDeFer »

That's been a good knife pattern for a long time. From Air Corps survival gear, noticed by some Anzacs, Edson liked it so the Marine Raiders got a version. It's been carried by a lot of interesting people into a lot of interesting places doing a lot of different things. Something for you to take to the end of the world if you have to go there.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

PriseDeFer wrote:That's been a good knife pattern for a long time. From Air Corps survival gear, noticed by some Anzacs, Edson liked it so the Marine Raiders got a version. It's been carried by a lot of interesting people into a lot of interesting places doing a lot of different things. Something for you to take to the end of the world if you have to go there.
That's interesting, before I got this one I always pictured a Bowie as an Old Western or Frontier knife but never as a Military knife. After a little research I find that They were used in more than 1 War.
Perry
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

A lot of my friends wanted them or carried them in the late 60s and early 70s great knives. Great design and steel for the price then. A Lot more practical than the Gerber I was issued in 74.
Good find.
It is not the critic who counts
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

pwl44m wrote:That's funny YK, did U show the Bowie or just the mere mention was enough ? :lol:
Perry
It was well known, being my constant companion. The mere mention of it was enough. :twisted:
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

PriseDeFer wrote:That's been a good knife pattern for a long time. From Air Corps survival gear, noticed by some Anzacs, Edson liked it so the Marine Raiders got a version. It's been carried by a lot of interesting people into a lot of interesting places doing a lot of different things. Something for you to take to the end of the world if you have to go there.
I got the ontario black knife lookalike. Cool knife you got there.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

I have one of those, won it on another forum, prob for too much but it was for a good cause at the time. Carry it in truck. Was at a gun shop and they had a copy. The shop owner said it was as good as the real deal. When i said the real one was much more robust and well made he got kinda pissy and said it couldnt be that much better. So I brought it in and compared it in front of his customers. There was no doubt the Western made the copy look like a cheap toy. :)
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Years ago I knew a crusty old guy that forged some knives, he said when someone got bragging about a knife, he'd take his knife and slice the sharp edge off theirs and make a comment about not thinking it's that great. :D The old guy said it profoundly irritates people when you make their favorite knife look like its made of aluminum.

I've done it a time or two out of curiosity, it can truly be done.

I've had a couple of the Westerns. Foolishly traded the first one off, then came into another one. I used it to chop the legs off a frozen deer at 30 below and chipped the edge badly. I reground it to clean it up and resharpened it. Also cut most of the back off the guard, and trimmed the front side down a bit, and am in the process if grinding the pommel where it protrudes out beyond the little finger into a hawks head shape. May have a nice late 1800's sheath made when done with the metal, something that would complement the Miles City style holster for the Ruger.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

I am completely amazed at the things some of the Forumites "DO" manage to keep from Their childhood or some of the things They've picked up along the way. I don't have a single thing I had when I was a Kid. everything I got was totally used up. I'm not sure how I ended up with My Dads Long Tom and Rem mod 8. But as I grow older I am hoarding stuff that I should start moving out.
Perry