Best 22LR revolver

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Best 22LR revolver

Post by handirifle »

I had to drive to a neighbors house and shoot a rattlesnake tonight. No biggie, her husband works week on week off. My wife held the light and I shot it with the bird shot from the Ruger MKII 22 semi auto pistol and it did not perform as I had hoped. We have used it on gophers with zero problems. Now bear in mind I am not talking about the cartridge but the gun itself. On 3 different occasions, the rounds failed to feed. That is not acceptable when trying to kill a rattler.

I loaded up a magazine when I got home and manually jacked the rounds through for both lead bullet and bird shot loads and although I didn't fire it (in the house remember) on more than one occasion, it also failed to eject. We got this thing just for snakes so my wife could use it and now there is no confidence in it, from me or her. So I think tomorrow we're going to trade it in and get a revolver.

Now a friend has a S&W air light PD, that is both LR and WMR,
with different cylinders. I think the barrel on that one is a bit too short for my liking, at 1 7/8". Not sure of the price either.

So a few questions for you guys. Are the LR/WMR combo's worth it? I have a WMR rifle already, so I have ammo. What about accuracy in the combo guns. Combo is NOT a necessity, just curious. To me a 4 or 5" barrel would be ideal.

Suggestions?
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Best 22LR revolver

Post by Blaine »

IMO, those little shotshells will not function in an Semi-Auto like the MKII.....If you want a handgun for shot shells, get a ugly third hand 38 Special and use that....Those MKIIs are just to nice to get rid of because they are using ammo they are not intended to function with.....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

Well the failure to eject was with std ammo too, that's what really bugged me. I do not expect it to eject the bird shot when fired, not enough power, but I DO expect it to eject them when manually worked, and I do expect it to feed them.

The low budget 38 is an idea though. I already have a Ruger Security Six in .357, but it's home defense. I want a dedicated snake pistol. will have to check the gunshops and see what they have, if anything.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

handirifle wrote:Well the failure to eject was with std ammo too, that's what really bugged me. I do not expect it to eject the bird shot when fired, not enough power, but I DO expect it to eject them when manually worked, and I do expect it to feed them.

The low budget 38 is an idea though. I already have a Ruger Security Six in .357, but it's home defense. I want a dedicated snake pistol. will have to check the gunshops and see what they have, if anything.
:oops: I un-misunderstood you.... :oops:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Hmmmm I have a Colt Scout Buntline Special with a 9 1/2" barrel my maternal grnadfather bought new in 1962 still got the original box etc .
Also have a Ruger Single Six 5 1/2" my pop bought used off a friend back about the same time and I have the original box for that one as well !

I suspect those two will do all I need done with a 22 handgun for the rest of my life !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Simply for use with .22lr shotshells, I have a Heritage Arms revolver. It is cheap and functions perfectly. It came with the extra cylinder for .22WMR and all for about $200 new. I bought mine at Academy Sports and Outdoors. The sights are just the old line through the top strap and front blade, so there is no adjustment other than filing down the front sight.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

.22lr shotshells just make the snakes down here real angry...
i use 44s
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

RIHMFIRE wrote:.22lr shotshells just make the snakes down here real angry...
i use 44s
:lol: :lol:
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

On a more serious note I would have thought any 22LR revolver would do the trick.
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Ruger is making thier LCR in .22lr now. I've been looking at those for some time. Only sad thing is their DAO only. Not that it should matter with bird shot.

Piller's suggestion would work just fine as well.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

I have a single six. To date I have never even installed the WMR cylinder it came with, and just shoot LRs. But it's nice. Nicer still would be a 4" SW 17 if you can find one
----- Doug
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

i use 44s
Smart thinking, especially when half the snakes in FL are reintroduced pythons, boa constrictors and anacondas that can weigh hundreds of pounds

I think I would feel more comfortable with a 38 on a fat rattler of any size , too. A 6 footer that's as big around Asa forearm might have enough time to retaliate if hit with a 22, even if he is mortally wounded
----- Doug
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

In my experience those .22 snake shot rounds will work but you need to just be short of their left nostrel when you pop the cap to get the desired results.

A .38 would be much better, but if you must go with a .22 a S&W is tops in my book. The 63 or 34 are considered kit guns. A 4" J frame is about perfect. Terry has one he has mentioned before.

I have a 617 4" that is way too heavy for a .22 but I got it when I was just shooting, shooting, shooting. It was good practice for a K frame Combat Magnum.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I wouldn't bother with a combo gun for your use, Handi - and those Smith PD's cost at least 2x what most other revolvers will.

I'm w/Rusty - shop around for a used S&W Kit Gun, or (IMO) a Ruger Single-Six/BearCat.

North Country Gal
Levergunner 2.0

Post by North Country Gal »

I have a TC Contender pistol with a 10" barrel that shoots 410 shells. I promise you, that will work on the biggest snakes and you'll never have a feeding problem. :)
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

I used to use .22 snake shot on squirrels, for some reason it worked way better on them than on rattlers :lol:

Does the mk-II cycle normal ammo when actually fired?

Honestly, I don't ever expect 100% reliability from any blowback SA pistol. I had a mk-II for a few years, I don't recall any problems, but I wouldn't likely have noticed a stove pipe or FTE if it were 1 round out of 10 mags. Heck, some brands of 22 lr you'll get that many duds :mrgreen:
Seems like I was always finding dud 22's at the range before the metal pickers got really out of hand.
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

I really like my Colt Peacemaker Buntline revolver, 7 1/2" barrel... does best with standard or sub sonic rounds, but it shoots hot .22s fine.

My second favorite is my mother's 4" S&W kit gun... IIRC, it is a predecessor to the model 36.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Smart thinking, especially when half the snakes in FL are reintroduced pythons, boa constrictors and anacondas that can weigh hundreds of pounds
I'm thinkig a crew-served weapon might possibly - and only
possibly! - be considered overkill, but a 12 gauge would be
about right for that kinda pest! :lol:

22 snake shot?! I don't think so....

-Stretch
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

I use the Federal .22 Cal. Long Rifle Bird Shot rounds in one of my Ruger Mark 1s and they work good - feed, extract; however, they have the crimped cases not the squarish, blue, plastic head. That said, I like to use the Federal rounds and other snake loads in my Ruger .22LR Bearcat. I carry a Cobra .22 LR derringer in my fishing tackle box and it works well with any of the .22LR snake loads.

Of course it's hard to beat the ole 12ga shotgun as evidenced by this picture of one I shot last year with my 870 in our backyard.

ED
Yer never too old
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

A .22 revolver is sure easy to pack, and I'm sure that the small profile easy to carry thing figures into your selection of arms.

I'd really be tempted to step up to a .410 shotgun, because I'm not a fan of handgun caliber shot-shells.

A pump, a double, even a single-shot with #8 would be easier to sight and more effective to kill a snake than a shotshell from a handgun.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Remington40x
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Remington40x »

For a .22 revolver, you'd be hard pressed to do better than a Smith & Wesson K-frame with a four or six inch barrel or, if you want something lighter, a J-frame with a four inch barrel. Lots of them available out there used, too. There's also the Ruger SP101 which is not quite as nice as the S&Ws, but very sturdy and needing only a bit of trigger work to make it really shootable. If you are a single action fan, Ruger's Single Six, or the Bisley framed version, is probably the way to go, although the Colt .22 single action revolvers are nice as well, if you can locate one.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
1894c

Post by 1894c »

i like Ruger's Single-Six... :)
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

North Country Gal wrote:I have a TC Contender pistol with a 10" barrel that shoots 410 shells. I promise you, that will work on the biggest snakes and you'll never have a feeding problem. :)
THAT is the best choice yet, for a "go get the gun" situation... 8)

ANY small 'belly gun' in 22 LR or 38 Spl would do just fine with commercial or hand-loaded shotshells. Too bad nobody (that I know of) makes a 22 WMR shot-shell...

Anyway, few if any semiautos will cycle either the 'crimped-style', or the 'capsule-style' shot-shells, although perhaps you could cut the spring or lighten the bolt so they would - but then they'd likely ONLY cycle shot-shells and not regular bullets. If you want something small and handy to carry "for snakes" (and please don't shoot non-venomous ones...!), I'd get a snubbie revolver, and unless I just had to have one for other gunnies to be 'jealous of', I'd just get whatever is cheap and available (are you planning on shooting target matches with a 1" or 2" gun... :wink: ). Get whichever chambering you'd find more useful for other purposes as well, although the 38 Special (or 44 Spl or 45 of some sort) will do better for a really large snake.

The other option that seems practical would be one of those two-shot break-open derringer, in whatever chambering you can get shotshells for (or load them yourself for). The "45/410" ones seem to be good for that purpose, even if for no other.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

BlaineG wrote:IMO, those little shotshells will not function in an Semi-Auto like the MKII.....If you want a handgun for shot shells, get a ugly third hand 38 Special and use that....Those MKIIs are just to nice to get rid of because they are using ammo they are not intended to function with.....
+1 - this is an issue of ammo not meant for the gun in question. Ruger MK II's are great semi-auto .22's.
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

OM an update. First off I looked, and the gun is actually an MKIII not the MKII, my mistake. Same gun for all intents I believe. No the shot shells (capsule ones) do not cycle the bolt, didn't expect it to either, but I DID expect them to eject when I work the bolt briskly.

My wife tried the 38/357 snake loads and MUCH too loud for her liking, so that is out, and so would be any .410 varities, although theContender idea does sound sweet. It's a bit too cumbersome for her, and this is a "for her" project. To give you some more info, it's hard for her to work the bolt on the MKIII. Doesn't have much hand strength, never has.

My preference is for a DA, and I personally am not of fan of cowboy style grips. Lost that appeal when I had a 357 Blackhawk.

We had HER shoot and cycle it, and no malfunctions. Odd, really odd. Maybe I work the bolt too agressively, I dunno. Gonna think about selling a Savage target single shot rifle I have and buy a revolver for her anyway.

I am thinking about a Taurus model 94,
anyone had any issues with their 22 revolvers, or this one in particular?

At this time we are not considering the short barrel (2" or less) versions, since I THINK the pattern will be even wider. In addition she is a bit noise sensative so the snub barrel will be louder as well. But at this point she hasn't handled any of them so that will be a factor as well.

I carry the 357 when I am thinking of busting snakes.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Ysabel Kid wrote:
BlaineG wrote:IMO, those little shotshells will not function in an Semi-Auto like the MKII.....If you want a handgun for shot shells, get a ugly third hand 38 Special and use that....Those MKIIs are just to nice to get rid of because they are using ammo they are not intended to function with.....
+1 - this is an issue of ammo not meant for the gun in question. Ruger MK II's are great semi-auto .22's.
Don't know about the MK II's - I don't have one but as I said above, the crimped style .22LR shot shells work just fine (feed, extract) in a MK I that I have. Maybe it's a fluke for this one gun.
ED
Yer never too old
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

handirifle wrote: I am thinking about a Taurus model 94,

At this time we are not considering the short barrel (2" or less) versions, since I THINK the pattern will be even wider. In addition she is a bit noise sensative so the snub barrel will be louder as well. But at this point she hasn't handled any of them so that will be a factor as well.
I LOVE my little Taurus 94, owned it for over twenty years. Not sure about current production but mine has a nice smooth trigger pull both SA & DA. Mine has a 3" barrel which I feel is perfect for this size frame in feel and balance. Mine is a 9 shot 22LR but they also come in a 8 shot 22 magnum. CCI makes a 22 magnum shotshell load if you need more oomph than a 22 LR.
http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/ ... oadNo=0025
ImageImage
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

maybe the smith and wesson governor? can use 410 shotshells.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/ ... rrorView_Y
cable
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

My old model 34 is easy to pack and will do the job.

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Geeeezzzzz the least expensive and easiest thing to do is buy an H&R/NEF Pardner 410 single barrel . You should be able to find a decent used one for less then $150 !

But I would "assume" you already had something along those lines with a forum name like "Handirifle" :wink:
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
.Dirty-.Thirty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by .Dirty-.Thirty »

If you want a big snake stomper here is a link to my thread on the subject... http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/handg ... ndgun.html
Marlin Owner....Henry Owner....Winchester Owner
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

Ruger Bearcat (though I'd like to get another one and have it gunsmithed by an addition of some J frame S&W adjustable sights)

S&W 34

Ruger Single Six

S&W 17

Those are my 4 favorites in order. The 17 and single 6s are great shooters but their longer barrel lengths make them more range guns and less trail companions for me.

Can you have too many 22s? I don't think so.

Wm
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Honestly? For pure non 4473 cheapness, get a 37mm flare pistol and a .22 liner as well a .45/.410 liner.

You are looking at about $100 for the set. Keep it in your Truck along with Flares and you have a serious Survival Tool...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

i use 44s
This is what Rihmfire means. We grow 'em bigger down in Fla. Don't think rat shot would work on this one.

That's a deer in the last picture.
Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! P Henry

When the Government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the Government, there is tyranny.T Jefferson
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I don't really want to be around a snake that large. I have a .44 Mag, and I wouldn't hesitate to shoot that critter with it.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

That is not a snake. It's a tree that slithers and eats deer :shock: :shock:

I lived near Charleston, SC in the 60's and used to hunt the swamps with my 22 rifle. One day I was hunting near a channel of water and came to an area that widened quite a bit, then there was a small island in the middle of it. About 10ft of water from my shore to the island. I was watching just to see what I would see, then I see a snakes head pop out of the water, and it slid up the bank, and kept sliding, and sliding, and sliding. I thought it would never end, and I swear the middle was a big as my leg. No one would believe me then, but I never hunted that swamp again.

That thing had to be 10-12ft long, HUGE.
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

Remember the 357 shotshells were too loud for her, so it will have to be a 22LR or maybe the WMR shotshells. Most likely LR.

Yea I do have and have owned quite an assortment of "handirifles" That's where the moniker started. So far I've been able to use it almost every forum I get on. keeps it simple for me.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

If you can find a Taurus that fits your requirement you will most likely find that the best value for your money. Taurus I believe still offers a life time warranty on all their products. If the m94 is the same size as the S&W j frame she will find that easiest to handle.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Taurus, UGH!!

Came across a batch of them recently form a friend of my Dad's.
Horrid things and one out of five actually worked.

I've handled and fired the Charter Patriot. Seriously impressed.
Single Six, Bear Cat or Colt .22 NF would be a good choice too.
My Yard Gun is an 1860 NAA with a 4" barrel.
I've dispatched a wayward DVD player and a few moles.

We don't have any snakes to worry about but I hate Starlings!
The magnum cyl and CCI mag shot shells works wonders.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

My case hardend .22 Colt New Frontier is my altimate :D
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

tman wrote:My case hardend .22 Colt New Frontier is my altimate :D
i have a one of those and it is beautiful and a really accurate,'easy- to shoot -and -hit -with' gun
cable
Model 52B
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Model 52B »

My preference for snakes is a .45 Colt with shot cartridges. The CCI cartridges give a very nice pattern about 12" in diameter at a range of about 6 or 7 ft.

----

But if noise is a concern, a Ruger Single Six is hard to beat PLUS you have two options.

1) Use the .22 Magnum cylinder with shot cartridges. They'll shoot 52 grains of #12 shot at 1000 fps, compared to only 30 grains of #12 shot at 1000 fps for the .22LR. The pattern on the .22LR gets real thin, real quick, and in any event the range needs to be close to get adequate penetration with the 12 shot. Personally, I wish they'd use #9 shot. I like to get right up close - not too far beyond striking distance, as in maybe 3 ft from the business end of the snake with the .22LR.

2) Just use a hollow point in .22LR or .22Mag. Hitting at close range is not hard with iron sights. Draw your self a mean looking coiled up snake target and then practice making head shots from about 6 ft away. I was told a long time ago by an old timer that if you aim just in front of a rattlesnake, he'll see the bullet coming and strike at it giving you a head shot every time. :lol:
Mossyoak1957
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mossyoak1957 »

I picked this up about a month ago,it's a fine piece of work from Ruger.

Ruger SP101 22 cal. 8 shot.

Mossyoak1957
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mossyoak1957 »

I am thinking about a Taurus model 94,

I looked at the same Taurus 94 the day I bought my Ruger SP101 22cal. Check out the Ruger I bet you'll like it
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

I wouldn't trust a .22lr shot load to stop a snake of any size. Use em around the place for shooting swallow's from the buildings and overkill they are not. If the snake is close enough to have any sort of effectiveness with .22lr shot loads it's close enough to plunk in the head with a solid pill. The thought "go centerfire or stay home" applies even more in this case than SD IMO.

As for the MKIII, their fine guns bordering on great. Couldn't pay me to trade mine on ANY .22lr revolver. Cept maybe a S&W masterpiece.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

I've got an excess of .22 caliber handguns and the best ones I own are Colt Diamondbacks. I wish they still made them because used versions are too expensive on the auction sites.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.