Black Hills Ammo

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Black Hills Ammo

Post by RustyJr »

Does anyone have any experience with the Black Hills re-manufactured ammunition? I have seen some of it loaded with a 60grain V-Max and if it is good stuff figured I might pick some up. I know they make good stuff just wasn't sure about the "re-manufactured" ammunition. I'm guessing its as good as the rest.

Thanks,
RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Black Hills Ammo

Post by DPris »

Yes, quite a bit with new & re-man over the years.
Consistently good either way.
Denis
Eye-Bite!
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Eye-Bite! »

Excellent product.
rogn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rogn »

GOOD STUFF!
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

It's good.
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

I used Mk262Mod0 in combat as a sniping cartridge. Halfway through a deployment I dialed the scope down to 2.5x andshot a paper-target qualification that I failed because I shot multiple rounds so cleanly through the same holes they would not count them. Went back and shot each corner of each target so they could count the hits.

I have shot a ton of 55gr remanufactured .223 in courses in in filming some training videos, and for general practice. This is in probably 7 or 8 different rifles of varying quality.

Same with Black Hills remanufactured 9mm for the same purposes in 5 or 6 different pistols, two with tight-chambered conversion barrels that won't feed some other brands of 9mm reliably (and lock up solid if you try to chamber Russian-made steel case). In a .357 SIG XD with a conversion barrel and original spring, the BH ammo will lock the slide back, which most brands of FMJ 9mm ammo will not do.

I have fired about 400 rounds of the Black Hills 139 gr. Lapua Scenar Match .260 Rem through my .260 AR. It drops all of the brass in a neat pile about three feet away if prone - each case hits the same spot on the ground. It is extremely accurate and consistent.

The 69 gr. SMK OTM ammo works really well as a long-range cartridge in rifles with a 1/9 twist.

I have a hundreds of rounds of Black Hills 9mm 115 gr. hollow point (a really fast, hot load) that is all seconds (rejects) due to cosmetic imperfections. A handful of cartridges have noticeable flaws (crushed edges of the bullet tips), but even these shoot accurately and probably would expand just fine. The majority, probably 95%, when compared to hollow point loads from other manufactures look at least as good and usually better. I often hand one of the BH seconds and a similar cartridge from another manufacture to someone and ask which looks better, and invariably the reply is that the BH second looks better. I spoke with the guys at Black Hills who manufactured the 9mm seconds and the .260 Remington about my experience with them, and they are pretty passionate about their quality control.

I have had no ammo related issues while shooting Black Hills ammo, ever, other than purposely loading empty cases to induce malfunctions in training. Everything I have shot has been accurate and very consistent.

Edit for grammer, 'cause she done tole me to.
Last edited by 7.62 Precision on Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

Don't believe you'll be at all unhappy with it. I try to snatch it up when ever I run across some.
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.