How do YOU pick a puppy...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

How do YOU pick a puppy...

Post by AJMD429 »

44MagHunter has 9 german shepherd puppies and I've heard various philosophies as to how to pick THE one when there is a choice. Interested in what you all have found works, or doesn't...

They are ALL cute.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Re: How do YOU pick a puppy...

Post by 3leggedturtle »

3 times I have picked the RUNT of the litter, and was amazed by the loyalty and smarts they had. Other 2 times I picked the one that watched the others play, and would only join in when the mother was there to keep an eye on the litter. Haven't been disappointed by any of them.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Big feet. Don't know why, but that's what dad did, and we never had a bad dog.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

The ONE I got to pick was my first time. I wanted a female Black Lab. We found a breeder about an hour away
and went to look at her dogs. Her place was a mess but the dogs were clean, shiny and perfect.
The litter she had was four black, one chocolate and one yellow. There were three black females and I picked up all three, lined them up on the floor sat down and watched. The biggest one got up and walked straight to me.
I named her Tasha on the spot and paid the lady my $400. Best money I've ever spent! That dog was my best friend for almost 16 years and hardly a day goes by that I don't think about her. This weekend will be three years without her.

Gotta go now, can't see my keyboard.

j
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I picked up the calm and quiet one at the back of the cage that wasn't raising hades like his brothers and sisters.....He has not been quiet and calm since that day :lol: :lol: Thor is my best little buddy in the world. I'd be lost and lonesome without him....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

2ndovc wrote:The ONE I got to pick was my first time. I wanted a female Black Lab. We found a breeder about an hour away
and went to look at her dogs. Her place was a mess but the dogs were clean, shiny and perfect.
The litter she had was four black, one chocolate and one yellow. There were three black females and I picked up all three, lined them up on the floor sat down and watched. The biggest one got up and walked straight to me.
I named her Tasha on the spot and paid the lady my $400. Best money I've ever spent! That dog was my best friend for almost 16 years and hardly a day goes by that I don't think about her. This weekend will be three years without her.

j
You BOUGHT a dog. Never done such a thing. Too many good ones available free.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I have bought, picked and been picked by dogs. They have been smart, stupid, energetic, and lazy. Never had a bad one. Maybe I'm not critical enough.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

BlaineG wrote:I picked up the calm and quiet one at the back of the cage that wasn't raising hades like his brothers and sisters.....He has not been quiet and calm since that day :lol: :lol: Thor is my best little buddy in the world. I'd be lost and lonesome without him....
Yep. +1. The one that is watching ME. Twice the charm for me. I'll do it that way again.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

jeepnik wrote:
2ndovc wrote:The ONE I got to pick was my first time. I wanted a female Black Lab. We found a breeder about an hour away

j
You BOUGHT a dog. Never done such a thing. Too many good ones available free.

Well I'm up to eight since then and I've only paid for two of them. My Great Dane being only the second.
Funny thing is, the "free dogs" have cost me way more in other bills than the two I bought from breeders.
I wanted a Pure Blood Lab and Dane only to avoid any potential health problems. The investments were worth it.
Right now my last rescue is a 9 pound Rat Terrier named General Jackson and has become my best friend. I've had some great dogs but this little guy is just the best! Tasha would approve.

jb
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

All of the above, I've had a runt too - great dog. Definitely the best often are overlooked. Also had a 5 month old springer pick us...while his brother--I'll call him Spike after Snoopy's sibling, as it fit!--paid no attention to us, too busy running around the yard chasing butterflies! I'm sure he would have made a great dog too and truth be known we wanted to take him home too as he was a pistol, and in hind sight we should have 'cause the one we got was one of the best I've ever had. While Spike was causing his own little world of mahem, "ours" ran right over and practically lept into our arms and snuggled. Nothing like a pup.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:wink: It matters not if you paid or not.....A good person "saves" every animal he gives his love 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I've always been pretty decent at picking bird dogs (setters) as well as Border Terriers !

The setters are pretty much a c...r...a...p shoot and I think I've been pretty LUCKY !
I bought an English Pointer once on the advice of a now deceased Vetrenarian friend and that dog wasn't worth the gas to bring him home !
If I had followed the lead of all the old bird hunters around here I'da pulled him out of the kennel and shot him . But I didn't and he lived with us for about 10 years as an outside dog until he passed in his sleep !

With the Border Terriers I think our luck with them really isn't luck . Once they reach our home they're treated as almost human and I truely think that makes them want to be around you (figuratively) and do to suit you ! Of course the Borders also are inside dogs .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
44-40 Willy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 44-40 Willy »

I like to look at the litter of pups and see which one picks me out. So far, it's worked great.
44-40 Winchester. Whacking varmits and putting meat on the table since 1873.
TDF
Levergunner

Post by TDF »

Two dogs ago was picked by watching the litter feed on dry dog food. One of the little guys walked right into the middle and stood in the center of the pan to feed while all the others stood outside and reached in. Obviously a smart guy. And we weren't disapointed. Current dog had the best paint job of any of his siblings. He's a brindle boxer mix, while all the others were solid boxer tan. Granted not the best way to pick out a dog, but he's been easily the best dog I've ever had the privilege to call mine. Every dog I can remember having as a kid have all been great dogs as well. Guess i've mostly been lucky.

TDF
John in MS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by John in MS »

German Shepherd puppy -- I wanted a calm one, and one of the litter was isolating away from the others and
very quiet. Bad mistake: she had bad genetics (unbeknownst to me, obviously) and had all sorts of anxiety
problems, didn't bond with us like normal dogs, had poor impulse control and was animal-aggressive starting
at age 3 months. Others in the litter that were running around playing turned out to be pretty good dogs.

Be very careful to assess/have the puppy/parents assessed for hip dysplasia. It is heartbreaking to see one
suffer with this condition.

Another puppy I picked ran up to me and was very affectionate right from the start. Great dog, and
still loves to snuggle, 10 years later!

Hope this helps!
John
"Pistols do not win wars, but they save the lives of the men who do. The noble 1911 is a mechanical marvel, whose ruggedness, dependability & ferocious power have comforted four issues of GIs and which, unlike any other instrument you can name, is as much superior to its rivals today as it was in 1917."
-Col. Jeff Cooper, 1968
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

One of the best young dogs I've been acquainted with picked me about 6 months ago. I stood and looked at a gaggle of pups running everywhere with their noses to the ground like working bird dogs in miniature and didn't have a clue which one I should pick and besides, they were all moving so fast I couldn't tell them apart anyway.

For no reason I could tell, Jasper darted over and sat down in front of me and looked up like he was ready to go. I took him home and he's turning out to be a heck of a good friend and shows the makings of a great bird hunting buddy.

The pic was taken a few days after he came hom://i202.e with me. He's a bit bigger now. :wink:
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

Most of the above, plus a puppy's eyes and facial expression are very revealing to pick a happy dog!

Also, check out the Dog Whisperer Cesar Millan's advise: http://www.cesarsway.com

Since you are acquiring a German Shepherd I want to direct you to the New Skete Monks, and their wonderful books: http://www.newskete.org/newsketedogs.html

Good luck, and please post pics of your new puppy!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

44-40 Willy wrote:I like to look at the litter of pups and see which one picks me out. So far, it's worked great.

Let the dog pick you.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

we had 12 or so pups running around...english setters...
6 weeks, 8 weeks, and 10.... all in the same pen...
he pick my daughter....he stayed by here side the entire time......
was more interested in her than the rest of the puppies...
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
soon 2 retire
Levergunner 2.0

Post by soon 2 retire »

IIRC, Richard Wolters had a scientific way to choose a bird dog puppy in his book GUN DOG. I think he may have outlined in another book FAMILY DOG how to pick a puppy to be a companion only. That being said i never got to perform the tests when I bought my hunting dog because my wife chose the first pup that came to her. It turned out pretty good.

Bob in Friday Harbor
Don't look back something might be gaining on you.
-Leroy "Satchel" Paige
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Now-----------------------JMHO--------------------so???????????? :wink:

1) pick the male--------------------- :lol:
2) Pick one of the bigger ones------take note if there is one in particular that seems more interested in you!(stuff going on around him)not just chewing on each other etc. :D
Last edited by madman4570 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wes
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wes »

I let the bitch dog pick for me.

Pack the pups out of the nest and see who she picks first. That's my pup.

Scientific, huh?
:D
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

I went thru 20 or so hounds and curs over the years and IMO pickin out 1 puppy from a litter is a stuff shoot. I picked up one that was sleeping the whole time I was looking at the litter because I wanted a male and he was the only one. Great dog. Picked out a playful pup one time and I swear to God the dog curled up in the driveway, went to sleep and never woke up the 10 years we had her. Laziest dog I've ever seen. I've had pups that when 8 weeks old and we turned the litter lose on a critter it was in hot pursuit, yet it never hunted a worth a darn the rest of it's life. I've had the opposite happen. I've picked runts and big pups, males and females, dogs that wouldn't leave me alone and dogs that ignored me, wound up dogs and lazy dogs, pretty pups and ugly pups. None of the traits displayed in the hour or so I spent looking would be a great indicator to how they turn out.

I pick the parents and if I can their grandparents. Blood lines farther back are worthless though. If the parents have good traits your chances with any of the pups is as good as the others.
Chris83716
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Chris83716 »

Let the dog pick you, or better yet the WIFE. Seems to work much better that way.

Chris
Last edited by Chris83716 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

I liked the "biggest feet" answer. :)
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Sit down in the middle of the litter.

Wrestle with the pups, let them wrestle with you.

Pick the one that is the last to leave you for nap/dinner.

(though the "bitch's first pick" isn't a bad method either...)
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

We have a Boxer/Shepherd mix that was a rescue dog. 14 years ago, we took our son to the animal shelter and looked at the puppies. There was one in particular that kept looking at him. It was a female Boxer/Shepherd mix. We got permission to get her out and go to the play yard with her. She came up to my son, 4 years old at the time, and wouldn't leave his side. She is still here, still loves the family, and is a great guard dog. She hates strangers in the yard, but will sniff and lick their hand if she is out of the yard. Sadly, she is getting old, has cataracts, and is starting to have arthritis. When it is obvious that she would be better off being put to sleep, I will do her the kindness of stopping any suffering. Until then, she is doing her duty as she sees it and protecting her family.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
longarm4146
Levergunner 2.0

Post by longarm4146 »

I don't pay a lot of attention to looks as they change so much with age. What I looked for in working bloodhounds and labs was attitude and determination. I wanted an attentive dog that wanted attention and didn't mind rooting out the other pups to get it. I looked for the type of response the pup would give me and how curious he/she was. Often i'd just walk away and watch to see which pup noticed first and would follow. These are the kind of things I looked for in pups and pointed out when departments showed up wanting pups. Now I never wanted an ugly dog, but if I had to choose between a good dog and pretty dog then the personality always won over looks. A good breeder will give you plenty of both, personality and conformation.
SASS 4146
BOLD 199
vonfatman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by vonfatman »

Never had a bad runt. They live longer too...bigger dogs tend to have shorter lives.

Bob
"Onward thru the Fog"
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I never get the chance, the boss always picks 'em.....so.......I ask the boss and as she is the farmer's daughter, she says, "its simple, pick the one that has the most energy and looks the healthiest".------------------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Sixgun wrote:I never get the chance, the boss always picks 'em.....so.......I ask the boss and as she is the farmer's daughter, she says, "its simple, pick the one that has the most energy and looks the healthiest".------------------6
Not exactly a "dog"... but...

A friend of mine is (legally) hand raising a Bobcat. They were trying to raise 4 Kittens, but ONLY THE RUNT LIVED PAST THE FIRST 4 WEEKS.

Pistol is a great Kitten... with all the attributes of a puppy and the mentality of a cat. And she is acceptant of appropriately introduced strangers. (I am no longer a stranger, but a Recognised Guest that can be Played With...)

I'm enjoying watching her grow, and looking forward to her hitting maturity at 30 or so lbs...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
rogn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rogn »

We've had pretty good luck over the years and the conclusion Ive come to is that the critters do abetter job of picking than we do. The first Chessie we had out of 6, 3month old puppies chased us for a1/4 mile when we left to review finances,etc. Needless to say we went back and got him; one of the best dogs we ever had. Never had to worry if wife or daughter were safe. Almost all the other puppies followed the same trend. The ones we picked for whatever reason, were not always as desireable.The funniest one in this trend was a cat, yes, c at. He appeared as a 8-10 week old foundling at the place I worked and was kept caged in a traffic area. He worked on anyone who came by, but he quickly ID'd my wife as a sucker. My wife finally decided to take him home, unfortunately he'd been adopted out earlier in the day. Well, he raised so much a ruckus, that they returned him in 4 hours because he was too mean. He went home with her, my wife, immediately and has been here for the last 5 years. He says he'd rather be a dog, but all he can do is try the best he can. And he is the best he can.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

If I get to the litter early I like to chose the pup that stands its ground when the little ones group up fearful to me, the stranger. A little growl will seal the deal. I also look for a standing tail. That advice was from my grandpa and applies to farm dogs. A male is fun as a personal dog but a female is a wonderful family member.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

rogn wrote:We've had pretty good luck over the years and the conclusion Ive come to is that the critters do abetter job of picking than we do. The first Chessie we had out of 6, 3month old puppies chased us for a1/4 mile when we left to review finances,etc. Needless to say we went back and got him; one of the best dogs we ever had. Never had to worry if wife or daughter were safe. Almost all the other puppies followed the same trend. The ones we picked for whatever reason, were not always as desireable.The funniest one in this trend was a cat, yes, c at. He appeared as a 8-10 week old foundling at the place I worked and was kept caged in a traffic area. He worked on anyone who came by, but he quickly ID'd my wife as a sucker. My wife finally decided to take him home, unfortunately he'd been adopted out earlier in the day. Well, he raised so much a ruckus, that they returned him in 4 hours because he was too mean. He went home with her, my wife, immediately and has been here for the last 5 years. He says he'd rather be a dog, but all he can do is try the best he can. And he is the best he can.
We got our Caog similarly.

When we lived in IN this "teenage" orange tom moved out of the woods behind our place and started hanging out in My back yard. When I would go out there he would act like a cow dog, nipping & swatting my heeles/ankles. Never mean, but with intent. However, as we had 2 cats already, i didn't want to stress our 12y/o by bringing in a street cat.

One morning when I was at the window under the deck putting out some food (he was sheltering under there so I built him a cave out of an old styrofoam cooler) he zipped past me into the basement, went straight to thel litterbox and "claimed" it.... and was not about to leave.

Except for walls on a leash - which he demands by knocking the leash off its hook (untaught) he has been an indoor Coag/Doat ever since.

Oh... and he plays Frisbee (with a cottage cheese container lid...) like a dog too...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

OI: Any pics of the Coag and Bobcat? Would be interesting to hear from any one that has raised an Ocelot too. :)

Interesting reads and others perspective on Runts. :mrgreen:
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

3leggedturtle wrote:OI: Any pics of the Coag and Bobcat? Would be interesting to hear from any one that has raised an Ocelot too. :)

Interesting reads and others perspective on Runts. :mrgreen:
I WISH I had a bobcat. But the are "illegal" in Wyoming. I have to be satisfied with a bi-weekly "fix" when I deliver to a couple in NE who are hand raising/socializing a kit right now... (she's about 9 weeks old... both a Lover & a Fighter... and she wants out of her enclosure IMMEDIATELY when I show up. She likes to walk on my shoulders. :mrgreen:

No, Tom is your typical "buff" (orange) Domestic Shorthair. Looks like "Morris" only not as fat. In fact, WinDo$e 7 comes with a "desktop" image sequence that includes a cat that looks kist like him.

Still... since "duh law" has declared that I may not voluntairly undertake the inherent "risk" in keeping (and bearing?) a "dangerous/non-domestic" Cat, as soon as I'm flush enough, i may spring for a Serval... which IS "legal" with the right paperwork... :roll:
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!