1st Edition Laser-Cast Load Manual?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

1st Edition Laser-Cast Load Manual?

Post by JohndeFresno »

I found only 1 review of this manual, on Amazon, and it was not worth anything. Does anybody have this manual? If so:
1) How many pages, at least approximately?
2) Does it just have Min and Max loads? If so, that is on LoadData.com
3) Or does it show a range of loads, so that you can approximate what velocities to expect?
4) Do the testers make any comments as to which powders they liked in a particular caliber, or which bullet seems to be the best for various uses, as with Barnes, Hornday, Speer and other manuals?

With the bullet shortage, I'm starting to load some lead rounds (for practice) that were heretofore jacketed ones. In the caliber and configuration I'm using, Oregon Trail might be the best choice, but more info is needed.

Thanks in advance!
JHarold
Levergunner 2.0

Re: 1st Edition Laser-Cast Load Manual?

Post by JHarold »

The Laser-cast 1st. edition contains 179 pages

loading info lists Test gun
usually lists 8 diff. powders for each bullet

powder type-start grains-velocity FPC- never exceed grains- velocity FPC- OAL

I loaded some 158 gr. semi wad cutter round nose flat point.

Bullseye 5.0 grains (start was 3.5 never exceed 5.5)

I have used Laser-cast for 4 years, and have had no leading.
shoot them in a Rossi 92 Silhouette matches pistol cal.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Thanks, JHarold,

I appreciate the quick info!

John
Eye-Bite!
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Eye-Bite! »

I use Laser Cast almost exclusively. Sticking to the Lyman or Suggested powder loads of the powder manufacturers, the bullets them selves are excellent. As far as the manual?
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Yes, they make a good bullet, as do several others. In some respects, from what I understand, they are unique; thus my interest. I plan on using the Laser Cast rounds for a couple of high velocity loads, instead of purchasing the more expensive jacketed bullets, given this economy.

But from what JHarold describes, it appears that the manual is quite anemic in size, gives only the minimum and maximum loads with the COAL, and so on. In other words, no comparison to the Speer, Hornady, Sierra, Lee Modern Reloading, Lyman or other load manuals, with their wealth of technical and anecdotal information, that are available. Perhaps their next printing will be a little better; most first edition reloading manuals started out quite modestly.

The data he described, along with tons of other loads from verified sources, is apparently already available on Load Data (http://www.LoadData.com) for a reasonable annual subscription price. I'm already paying for that; so I'll save the $29.95 for the Laser-Cast paperback book.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

I changed my other mind after I received a full 2 pages from Oregon Trail on their 9mm loads. I had sent an e-mail requesting some load info for one particular one of their bullets that I ordered. As aside, I was concerned about major discrepancies in some load data (specifically, COAL) attributed as Laser-Cast data at one particular site:

WARNING TO HANDLOADERS:
1.130, 1.045" for the same round!
I don't recall which load had the more compressed round shown above; but I went back to LoadData and found the COAL of 1.050" for the 124 gr. Oregon Trail RN in this listing:
"9mm Luger Lead Bullets (Accurate Data Edition 3.5 - 2012) Reloading Data"
I pulled down the PDF version of that manual from the Accurate website, and sure enough it shows the 124 grain LaserCast bullet seated much more deeply than appears to be safe (per QuickLoad) and more deeply than Oregon Trail says it should be seated.
ANOTHER REASON NEVER TO ACCEPT JUST ONE SOURCE - EVEN A POWDER COMPANY!

I suspect that my load using 1.045" would be a dangerously compressed load, as apparently verified by QuickLoad ballistic prediction software.

Less than an hour after the e-mail was sent, Mary Jo replied with full info on the 9mm loads from their manual.

Service and customer support are a huge item with this ol' boy, so I purchased their load manual online. Besides, I think I'll need to see what the bullet manufacturer recommends for their bullet.

By the way, what Mary Jo sent to me showed that the booklet does in fact have some introductory notes about each caliber covered in the book.