Old Cabinet photo of frontiersman with 1886 Winchester.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Old Cabinet photo of frontiersman with 1886 Winchester.

Post by rangerider7 »

This is a great cabinet photo to me. What do you think. He is not identified. RR7
"That'll Be The Day"
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Re: Old Cabinet photo of frontiersman with 1886 Winchester.

Post by Terry Murbach »

WONDERFUL, THE REAL McCOY !
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

I don`t know what to think about these stage prop photos, they make me wonder if the person is really like the impression they are presenting or someone dressing up to make it look that way.
Kinda reminds me of the wave of want a be people that bought Harleys , leathers and got tats and claimed to be bikers.
Without a name and proof of what that person did in his life i`m not convinced that he isn`t a banker, sorry.
Dern nice picture though RR as usual. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

GREAT photo!
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

I think he's related to Pitchy. Haven't we seen him in that jacket?
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Pitchy wrote:I don`t know what to think about these stage prop photos, they make me wonder if the person is really like the impression they are presenting or someone dressing up to make it look that way.
Kinda reminds me of the wave of want a be people that bought Harleys , leathers and got tats and claimed to be bikers.
Without a name and proof of what that person did in his life i`m not convinced that he isn`t a banker, sorry.
That's the way I always feel, too. Even if I knew enough to go over them with a fine-tooth comb, I'd always be left wondering if the photographer and costumer were simply smarter-than-average and still fooled me.

Cool and thought-provoking photos, though. Even if they are 'staged', it still reflects an accurate part of history to the extent that that is the image they wanted to portray.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Yes great photo. What finish is that? Worn blue or nickel?
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Considering the age of that photo, that 1886 was heavily used by the looks of the lack of blueing on the barrel and mag tube. I would tend to say it is the real McCoy simply because of the age of the fellow in the photo. I can see some young whipper snapper getting a dressed up to look like a frontiersman, but fellows that old are not usually much interested in getting all dressed up to look like a frontiersman. I'm thinking that this fellow had some real history homesteading somewhere and one of his sons or daughters or grandchildren persuaded him to get dressed up in his old buckskin coat and take his well-used '86 down to the photographer and get a picture taken for posterity. The look on his face is one of quietly obliging his 50 year-old daughter or, more likely, a few of his 20 year-old grandchildren.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

IMO, he's been there, done that, and lived to a ripe old age to prove how tough he is. I'll bet that rifle saved his hair more than once.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

He very well could be the real deal, i am just saying one really doesn`t know without some kind of documentation about the life of that person.

PS, that is a relative of mine i`m sure. :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

KirkD wrote:Considering the age of that photo, that 1886 was heavily used by the looks of the lack of blueing on the barrel and mag tube. I would tend to say it is the real McCoy simply because of the age of the fellow in the photo. I can see some young whipper snapper getting a dressed up to look like a frontiersman, but fellows that old are not usually much interested in getting all dressed up to look like a frontiersman. I'm thinking that this fellow had some real history homesteading somewhere and one of his sons or daughters or grandchildren persuaded him to get dressed up in his old buckskin coat and take his well-used '86 down to the photographer and get a picture taken for posterity. The look on his face is one of quietly obliging his 50 year-old daughter or, more likely, a few of his 20 year-old grandchildren.
I agree completely with this. Check out the well-worn old boots, hardly the thing you would expect to see provided as a "prop" by the studio. I think this old feller is all duded up in what to him is his "Sunday Best", the photo is studio but the man and his outfit are the real deal.
pshort
Levergunner 3.0

Post by pshort »

RR7,
Thanks again for another great old picture........

Paul
"Pain plants the flag of reality in the
fortress of a rebel soul"
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Greetings
Part that interests me is that the finish on the Winchester is already worn off. That takes some usage or a good rubdown with some mild acid which I do not think people were inclined to do.
Mike in Peru
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
Eye-Bite!
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Eye-Bite! »

Generally speaking, on the backside of the photo "Should" be a stamping of the Photo Studio.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Is that his hat and jacket at his feet?

What is he standing on?

Great photo.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

I like the photo its neat, who knows bout the guy?
my wife has talked me into a few of those photos
the gun im thinking shows silver cus of the flash? look at the end cap its silver also

ollogger
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I'm a'thinkin' that ain't just some old city dude playin' "dressup". That ensemble seems to fit him to well to be "borrowed"! So, what can you tell us RR?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I wonder if he is still alive because if he ain't I'm gonna hunt down his relatives to see if I can snag the rifle.

He looks to be the real thing. Too grubby to be a regular working stiff.----------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

http://historical.ha.com/c/search-resul ... 4294951585

Go to this site and see some of the best photos and documents around. Including this one. I may go to the auction just to see what they go for. WOW! RR7
"That'll Be The Day"
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Looks like a wolf skin behind him on the ground.

I like his rifle, it's a round barrel, likely a 45-70 from the leaf rear sight. It also has a tang sight. Definately has some wear.

I'd guess he's been around the back country a bit, if not a lot. His outfit may well have been from some earlier time in his life, but I'm thinking he's a pretty genuine frontier type.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Malamute wrote: I like his rifle, it's a round barrel, likely a 45-70 from the leaf rear sight. It also has a tang sight. Definately has some wear.
Good eye on that tang sight. I missed that. That adds to the possible authenticity of the man and his rifle. It takes a lot of use to wear the blue off a rifle that fast, and a tang sight is exactly what an older fellow needs to still make those longer shots. (don't ask me how I know).
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I'm in the "real deal" group. His facial features look like he's got some Indian or Eskimo in his DNA.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Eye-Bite!
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Eye-Bite! »

Do Eye see a ROLEX? :lol:
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Looks like the old gent might have got a little broader in the mid-section since the last time he had his buckskin on.

Got a couple buttons open to 'make room.'

:wink:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

For sure Indian blood.
Now I need some help Guys. I am not an 86 person so tell Me from just the picture what distinguishes it from a 94. I'm not being picky just want to know from a glance how to tell the difference.
I did notice the tang sight or lack thereof, seems like it hangs too far back. It actually looks like a fold in his pants or boot or something lying on the ground behind Him. RR, U have the Picture, is it any more clear ?
@ RR7, even with the naysayers Please don't stop posting these Pictures. I Myself find them fascinating, kinda takes Me back to a time I "think" I would rather be. When I go into a Antique store that has old pics I pour thru them looking for some with Guns in them.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

pwl44m wrote:For sure Indian blood.
Now I need some help Guys. I am not an 86 person so tell Me from just the picture what distinguishes it from a 94.
Two things. First, the underside of the receiver is solid and round-bottomed. A '94 has a section that drops out of the bottom of the receiver when it is being levered. Second, the loading gate on an '86 has a unique rear hinge section to it, and the front of the loading gate is square. Not easy to get that kind of detail in the photo, but once you've seen an '86 like that, it sticks out like a sore thumb.
Regarding the tang sight, I'm not sure that is the proper one. I have an original '86 with the proper tang sight, and the hinge part is more than half way back from the receiver to the end of the grip, so that the bolt can come all the way back without hitting the tang sight. When the tang sight is folded back, it overlaps the top of the front of the comb. Here is a photo that shows both the tang sight and the unique loading gate and hinge plate I was talking about ...

pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Thx Kirk, I thought I could see that raised outline but like U say it is hard to see in the Pic. I am still a little skeptical on the Tang Sight.
Perry
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Yeah, the tang sight in the photo does look kind of odd upon a careful look. It seems too far forward and the bolt would hit it when levered back.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

KirkD wrote:Yeah, the tang sight in the photo does look kind of odd upon a careful look. It seems too far forward and the bolt would hit it when levered back.
could it be that he has a long tang gun? yours seems to be a short tang, but maybe it's just the angle.

the peeper on my 86 gets almost kissed by the bolt and it fits into the slot when the bolt is all the way aft.

just wondering
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Also the '86 has a lever shaped like the 1892. The rear of the trigger guard on a 94 has a flat area to engage the trigger-block safety... the '86 and '92, lacking this feature, don't need that flat area.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Thx Griff, that helps also. I like to be able to identify a Gun hanging on a wall or sittin in a rack. Yours and Kirks tips are the best and I thought I knew a little bit about Levers. Now I know more, Thank You.
Perry
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

jnyork wrote:
KirkD wrote:Considering the age of that photo, that 1886 was heavily used by the looks of the lack of blueing on the barrel and mag tube. I would tend to say it is the real McCoy simply because of the age of the fellow in the photo. I can see some young whipper snapper getting a dressed up to look like a frontiersman, but fellows that old are not usually much interested in getting all dressed up to look like a frontiersman. I'm thinking that this fellow had some real history homesteading somewhere and one of his sons or daughters or grandchildren persuaded him to get dressed up in his old buckskin coat and take his well-used '86 down to the photographer and get a picture taken for posterity. The look on his face is one of quietly obliging his 50 year-old daughter or, more likely, a few of his 20 year-old grandchildren.
I agree completely with this. Check out the well-worn old boots, hardly the thing you would expect to see provided as a "prop" by the studio. I think this old feller is all duded up in what to him is his "Sunday Best", the photo is studio but the man and his outfit are the real deal.
I think you might be right. I see an honesty in his eyes and clothes, and the rifle that spells real deal to me.
NRA Life Member, Patron
jackruff
Levergunner 1.0

Post by jackruff »

Assuming the Winchester 1886 was first made in 1886, since this rifle clearly has seen a lot of use, I'd say the photo was taken well after 1886. Was there really any frontier left in the continental United States by then?
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

He doesn't look like he spent his life in an office and looks pretty comfortable with the rifle. People weren't routinely carrying cameras in those days, so most pictures like that would be made in a studio. I say he's the real deal.
Thanks for the picture, RR7! :)
Have you hugged your rifle today?
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Grizz wrote:could it be that he has a long tang gun? yours seems to be a short tang, but maybe it's just the angle.
As far as I know, all the 1886's had the same tang. The Model 71's didn't but the 86's did. I'll check it in Madl's book in my office, but I don't recall seeing any upper tang variations. My '86 was made in 1890.
Jackruff wrote:Assuming the Winchester 1886 was first made in 1886, since this rifle clearly has seen a lot of use, I'd say the photo was taken well after 1886. Was there really any frontier left in the continental United States by then?
I'd estimate the photo was taken no later than 1910. If the fellow is 70 years old, he was born in 1820. By the time he was 20 years old and rarin' to go, it would have been 1840. The 86 didn't come along until 1886, but the fellow was around at the time of the Old West, Comanche raids, etc.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Thanks Kirk

I have no idea why I thought there was a long and short tang variation. Glad to know the reality.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

jackruff wrote:Assuming the Winchester 1886 was first made in 1886, since this rifle clearly has seen a lot of use, I'd say the photo was taken well after 1886. Was there really any frontier left in the continental United States by then?
Depends on how you define it, but in a practical sense, yes. We don't know if it was in the lower 48 either, (or even the US for that matter, could be Canadian).

I'm not in too much of a hurry to set a definate date on him. There are still backwoods types in the far flung places today, up to the 50's wouldn't be too out of the question for the lifestyle he seems to represent, tho the photography style was different by then. If he's Native, the beaded buckskin (or elk moose or carbou skin) shirt/jacket isnt too far fetched into the mid 1900's.

A photography historian may be better at setting a date than any indications in the picture.

As to the nuances of spotting an 86, there's several other things that catch the eye. The boss at the bottom of the receiver where the locking bolts come down are very different than a 94 receiver, thats one thing that 92's share with 86's, its very distinctive when you know what to look for (tho in many south american made imported guns they didnt get the lines right in that regard). The overall look is quite different also, proportionally, both to other things and in its own proprotions. The loading gate is very distinctive, often identifiable even in poor pictures. The location of the screws on both sibes of the receiver is different than other models.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Jackruff wrote:Assuming the Winchester 1886 was first made in 1886, since this rifle clearly has seen a lot of use, I'd say the photo was taken well after 1886. Was there really any frontier left in the continental United States by then?
As Kirk sez, easily lots of wilderness left, if not actual frontier. That might be a hard differentiation to make.
KirkD wrote:I'd estimate the photo was taken no later than 1910. If the fellow is 70 years old, he was born in 1840. By the time he was 20 years old and rarin' to go, it would have been 1860. The 86 didn't come along until 1886, but the fellow was around at the time of the Old West, Comanche raids, etc.
And unless he was living in Canada or someplace way up in the mountains, a Civil War veteran.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Oops! I better go back to school for math!
jackruff
Levergunner 1.0

Post by jackruff »

KirkD wrote:Oops! I better go back to school for math!
Nah! That's the kind of mistake mathematicians are prone to make. (Ask me how I know.)
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Mebbe I look at things differently. I like to look at that photo and see a "real honest to God" frontiersman. I'd rather be "fooled" and think I saw a pioneer standing next to a wolf pelt holding a classic firearm in a pic taken waaaay back when. If there is glaring differences (like the feller was holding a Daisy Red Rider or wearing Converse shoes) then OK I would admit to fakery, but look for the positive, and if proven wrong, admit the negative, not the other way around (thinking it's fake and try to prove it's real).

Jes the thinkin' of an old God fearin', life lovin', retired mechanic...

Thanks Range Rider!
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
1894c

Post by 1894c »

i think the old guy in the photo is still alive...those tough old guys don't die, they usually move up north and drive slow...if that guy turns out to be a banker I would definitely trust him with my cash....just saying... :)