"Old West Guns" in Kearney, NE

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

"Old West Guns" in Kearney, NE

Post by guido4198 »

I'm out here on the prairie for a family wedding, in a small town in Nebraska..Kearney...to be specific. This morning after we had breakfast...me and Candy went for a drive through town. Along the way, we literally stumbled upon "Old West Guns".
Fellas...this guy has every variety of levergun...(and a LOT more)...ever created. I didn't have NEARLY enough time to go through the place...rack by rack, shelf, by shelf. M-71 Winchesters...he has a BUNCH. Priced for collectors..not for guys that want to throw'em in the truck. Decent folks to chat with...the owner gave me a bbl. for a Rem. M-11 project I'm working on that he got (literally) from a metal drum out back. It will take a lot of work to make it useable, but hey...the price ( as in FREE) was certainly right.
Who else knows about this place...????
It was a real treat for me. Wish I had more time to spend.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Re: "Old West Guns" in Kearney, NE

Post by 3leggedturtle »

I have been there. Parked semi right next to building so I could get in as soon as they opened up. Enjoyed talking and the coffee and donuts they gave me. Spent about 45 minutes just looking at the toys after I got done BS'ing with'em
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

uh, Kearney is not a small town.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Marlin32 wrote:uh, Kearney is not a small town.
It is if you're from NEW YORK CITY!!!
guido4198 wrote:Who else knows about this place...????
Did you go thru the "Great Platte River Road" monument?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

That's right Griff, never been to NYC but I had the same thot. Folks that come down from Mountain View think Batesville is a big town.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

If ever in Fairbury, NE stop in at Bedlan's. They specialize in Winchesters and have an impressive collection.

http://www.bedlans.com/
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

Griff wrote:
Marlin32 wrote:uh, Kearney is not a small town.
It is if you're from NEW YORK CITY!!!
guido4198 wrote:Who else knows about this place...????
Did you go thru the "Great Platte River Road" monument?
Marlin32...yes it is. :) and we're sure as heck NOT from New York city..or anything like it. Kearney is a very nice small farm town out here on the prairie. The kind of place you go to a local Cafe for breakfast...and notice that everyone in the place seems to know everyone else.
Griff: We've been through the arch monument...very interesting story of the various trails that all run through this area taking folks West, mostly to Oregon and Utah. Up in the hills of Western Nebraska... It's still possible to see wagon tracks cut into the native sod from those days.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Collage town, rode in there on my chopper in 1980 with some guys from North Platt and had a good time. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Isn't the Museum of the Fur Trade there? Well, near there.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

Kearney is 5th largest city in Nebraska (4th if you don't count Bellevue which is just a sub of Omaha Metro)
In Nebraska standards, its a big city. School is Class A, same as Omaha and Lincoln Schools.
Most towns in Nebraska just like what you described, only city that doesn't fit is Omaha.
We had perfect opportunity during the flood in 2011 to route the Missouri river west around Omaha and give it to Iowa, missed our chance.
Good gun store, has some pretty quality pieces from time to time, both rifle and shotgun.

Bedlans is good store, if you remember I relayed a story about a gun going off in a gun store a year or so back, well, not to name stores but....

IF you stop at Bedlans, the really nice pieces are in back room. And you would have to ask, and be a serious buyer or known to them, you are not going back there just to peruse.
Cast Bullet Hunter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cast Bullet Hunter »

M. M. Wright wrote:Isn't the Museum of the Fur Trade there? Well, near there.
Harold Warp's "Pioneer Village" is near Kearney, 16 mi. SSE in Minden.

The "Museum of the Fur Trade" used to be in Kearney County, possibly also in Minden, but that was 35-40 years ago. It is now E of Chadron, NE, which is in Dawes County, about 250 miles NW of Kearney.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Kearney has 30,787 (2010) and is about 3 miles by 4 miles. A veritable metropolis :)
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Dang, they probably have skyscrapers (that would be anything over about 3 or 4 stories).
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

NOW ya tell me! I was in Kearney about 3 weeks ago. Would have liked to have seen that. If I get back over that way, I'll sure check it out!
Have you hugged your rifle today?