Ideas for a scope on my '94 AE.......

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Ideas for a scope on my '94 AE.......

Post by hightime »

I don't like the idea much, but with my eyes what they are, I think I could sacrifice the '94 for this. Do I need to have it so high off the barrel? I'm not sure I've ever seen low mounted scopes. I wanted an old Malcolm style for the look, but I guess that won't be too good for hunting white tail. Two to three power is all I need. It doesn't need to be power adjustable. Any pictures?

Owen
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Re: Ideas for a scope on my '94 AE.......

Post by MrMurphy »

Only needs to be high mounted if you wish to use the irons without removing the scope.

I'd look at the Leupold fixed-power models, like the M8. A 3X or 4X is about right for what the rifle can do, having had a Marlin with an old Weaver K4 (4X) fixed.
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

I have a Burris Speeddot 135 on one of my rifles to help my aging eyes.
It has a wide field of view and is very quick to pick up.
It mounts very low on a weaver base.
There are a couple different models of this sight with larger and smaller dots so you would want to make sure to get the one that suits you.
I put the smaller dot on a rifle and the larger on a pistol.

Jack
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Here are two with 4x on them mounted in Leupold Medium rings and Kwik Sight on a Weaver base. Both shoot well set up like this.

In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Forget the thought of the see-thru rings, go with the lowest rings that will work.

I bought an older El'paso Weaver K3 for my AE when I had it. Vintage looks go acceptably well with a good lever gun.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I'd go to the eye Dr and get a new prescription with new glasses before I'd scope a 94 of any kind. New glasses would cost around the same as a new scope and you'd have better vision all around.

JMNSHO

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

My plan for a scoped 30wcf would be a Marlin 336....those 94s just don't look right with scopes....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Sounds like you need a Weaver 1-3x, it's smaller than the ones in the pics - no flared bell on the front. It's the lightest one out there. Leupold and Swift make similar models.

The smaller front objective means you can mount it lower. Your older eyes won't take advantage of the "light gathering" capability of a large objective. Very quick on target and natural viewing.

Going to the eye doctor won't help you here - the problem is presbyopia, not myopia, and that means your eyes will only work for one zone of focus at a time anymore. Your doctor can prescribe glasses that will be great for distance but that won't sharpen your front sight. He can also prescribe glasses that will zero in on your front sight but then your target will be blurry. There aren't any glasses that will do both at once - bifocals try but you have to look down to use the near zone.

A scope is your answer.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

El chivo, I do believe you have it right. I have enough iron sighted levers. I can handle one with a scope. After all isn't that why they made angle eject?

Owen
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Scope it and don't look back. Iron sights with bad eyes with any correction are/is (you pick) balderdash. :) if you are too weak to carry the extra weight, stay home and play tiddly winks :wink:
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

My version of tiddly winks is quite fun, but a guys needs to get out of the house now and then.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

A smaller front objective lens isnt going to get it any lower, the bases/rings and hammer clearance are the deciding issues. I like the clean looks of the smaller front end, but in the Leupold 1-4x, the lens is pretty far back in the scope, making it hard to clean off it it gets wet or dirty. I'd prefer to have a Leupold 2-7 compact in any event. At 2x, its plenty large in field of view, if seeing your barrel and front sight in the scope count, and in a little more power, can help ID antler points if thats an issue in your area. I have in fact had to pass on a shot because I couldnt count points to see if it was legal for that time and place. The 4x scope I had didn't have enough magnification to count them at 100 yards in the light available.

I have not the slightest hesitation to scope a good rifle of any type. The difference in what you can do with the rifle with good glass is the point to me. I dont mind the looks in the least either, but the increased usabilty is far more important.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

I cleanly missed a buck last season with my Legacy 30-30, that's hard for me to say. It was about a 100 yds. broadside and I say a small tree go down after the shot. The shot went 4 to 6'' over his back. After a lot of thought, I realized that tall front blade sight was too hard to see. I took a file and brightened up the top 1/16 of an inch. I did get my next shot, but I also found that the silver tip of the blade sight sometimes blended in too. I'm quite sure a bead front sight would help, scope better.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

i really like LEupold's 2-7x compact scope for a levergun scope, although i don't have one yet
----- Doug
Dave B
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Dave B »

I have see through mounts an a 94AE XTR 24" 7x30 Waters that I really like. It works well for me. I don't think I'll ever scope the 94AE 20" 45 Colt though.

Dave B
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

Yes, I wouldn't scope my 45 c rifle either , but this is a 30-30.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I have a scoped .22 and .357 but none on the 45 Colts or 3 30-30s.

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

The new Weaver 1-3x20 Classic V3 variable scope's the way to go.

When I bought two of them from http://www.swfa.com , they were less than $100, but are $170 now.

http://swfa.com/Weaver-1-3x20-Classic-V ... P2864.aspx

The folks from SWFA are good ones to do business with, and I can heartily recommend them, having bought several new scopes from them over the years.

3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Hightime,I put an Aimpoint 9000L on my Henry 22 mag. It is a tough, light sight. IMO there is nothing better for up to 150 yards. I have Leupold 1-4's and Weaver K3's. They are good for up to 200 yards, at least with my eyes. Mount what you need to shoot accurately. 3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Those AEs are pre-drilled and are great for scopes. The Redfield 2-7 is a good option and a good value:

http://www.opticsplanet.com/redfield-re ... ticle.html

The Weaver K-4 is no smaller (perhaps larger):

http://www.opticsplanet.com/weaver-rifl ... -4x38.html

Good luck!
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Old Savage wrote:Scope it and don't look back. Iron sights with bad eyes with any correction are/is (you pick) balderdash. :) if you are too weak to carry the extra weight, stay home and play tiddly winks :wink:
Oooooo, now play nice Mr. Moderator = Old Savage. Just cos you get your name in green and are part of the upper class clique don't mean you get to use sarcasm and bs on the eloi.

You are a scope fan. I am not. I do know of a number of posters on this and other shooting forums ( this isn't the only one you know ) that have fixed their shooting problems with better eye glasses.
It is NOT balderdash!

With the way all you old fanny burbs with the aging eyes are scoping up your lever guns I'm waiting for Hobie to put a scope on his 76 clone. Or perhaps Kirk D to scope his antiques.
So you miss a shot now and again, big deal. Read my sig line.

Well, I've had my say now so I'll depart this thread. My comments aren't welcome anyway.

Way too many moderators on this forum now. I think the green names have gone to some of their heads.
I won't mention any names though. :wink:

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

by the way, Joe makes and sells scope covers, several forum members have them.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

Are they invisibility cloaks?
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Joe - if somebody wants to know what scope - they are not looking for some knee jerk traditionalist response like go to your eye doctor. Now just because I agreed to do some of the mundane moderator chores - under their direction - doesn't mean I turned in my opinions or rights and privileges to participate in the discussion so don't try to pull that with me. :) Mr Emeritus :)

L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

I do know of a number of posters on this and other shooting forums ( this isn't the only one you know ) that have fixed their shooting problems with better eye glasses.
Joe, that's all fine and dandy for those that already wear glasses but the nature of aging eyes is not the same thing. 99% of people with aging eyes and close in focus issues do not need OR WANT full time prescription glasses. It would a PITA and a waste of time/money for they see fine for anything over 3 feet. That's one part of the balderdash, The other part is the somewhat religious stance that some take against scoping lever guns. Scopes, especially the right scope, is not the end of the world. Let's see....... scope a gun or start wearing glasses. I'll take the scopes everyday and twice on Sunday.

Heck, you don't even have to have aging eyes to experience the benefits of a scope.
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

Calm down. I already knew glasses wouldn't work for me. No matter what I do for my vision, focusing on near, far and in between, is tougher than when I was younger. Another opinion will roll right off. I have learned how to filter forum talk. That's why I asked about scopes. I like my levers without scopes, but am willing to put one on a newer meat getter that actually was made for one. If I didn't have a lot of levers, I wouldn't do it. I have asked about the straight tube 3/4'' Leatherman type scope before. I think they look good on a lever, but from what I was told the effectiveness isn't worth the effort for hunting. I'm not interested in the comparison for target shooting.

Owen
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Oh, no big deal we do the glasses/scopes dance every so often. :)

hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

There is a HUGE value in hearing different opinions. I appreciate your thoughts. I've used your tips many times.

Owen