Shot my first BPCR Silhouette match today.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Shot my first BPCR Silhouette match today.

Post by TedH »

Fog, rain and drizzle all day didn't help me any today, but I did manage this in my first match.

Of course I was the only unclassified shooter so they put me in the master class for my first match, and there were no other master class competitors. So I won a one man contest. :lol:

Had a great time though. Met a bunch of great guys and learned a lot. It was a very humbling experience, but at the same time I was impressed at just what these old black powder cartridges can do. Toppling a 12"x32" ram at 546 yards with iron sights and a rainbow trajectory is very satisfying, even if it did only happen about half the time. The pigs weren't too bad. I managed a string of 5 in a row there. The Turkeys proved challenging and 7 of them survived. The offhand chickens at 200 meters, well we don't even need to go there. :oops:

I ended up with 16/40. Not what I had hoped for, but now I have a lot better idea of what works and what doesn't, so next time hopefully the weather will be better too.
As Arnold says....I'll be back! :D
NRA Life Member
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Shot my first BPCR Silhouette match today.

Post by JReed »

Cool deal. Sounds like you had a lot of fun :mrgreen:
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

A five pin your first time out is nothing to sneeze at!
Congrats.
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mac in Mo »

Nice.

Kevin
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I bet you never thunk a steel chicken could run aound, duckin' boolits, like that - huh, Ted ? . :mrgreen: . :mrgreen:

I'm glad you tried it, though, and that alpha/omega came together at the same time for ya & resulted in that 5 medal - CONGRATS !

Kin you load up yer double rifle with BP, and shoot in BPCR ?

Marc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marc »

Good first outing! It is a tough game. I always tell people that if they really think they know how to shoot, they should shoot silhouette. Humble pie is the special order of the day. If you want the full helping shoot High Power Rifle Silhouette-same course, shot off hand.

The weather is a big factor. You will do better next time if the weather cooperates.
My "HB" (Hunting Buddy) She's a good cook too!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Ok, you went, you saw, and the Chicks Triumphed! A FIVE pin on your 1st outing is great! Would that all would be that good. And yes, the Turkeys are tough! The only reason you usually get more Turkeys than Chicks is they're bigger and heavier... just must move that much slower!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

The first Chicken flew off that rail like I hit it with a sledghammer. I thought, Ha, these arent so tough! Then proceeded to miss the next 7, hit #9 and missed the last one. My spotter called four of my misses as hitting the rail, so at least I missed consistently! :lol:
NRA Life Member
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Never used a spotter, listened to ( Sympathy for the devil by the rolling stones ) knew right where 2 1/2 minutes was.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Congrats TEd. Well done. I have yet to do that.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Ted, I think we are all thrilled for you. I have had the rifles to play this game off and on over the years, but never got out and tried it when I did. Those chickens are the devil's own, and many a national-class shooter has been severely chagrined by their stubbornness. Bet you shoot in the 20s next time out!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

TedH wrote:Had a great time though. Met a bunch of great guys and learned a lot. It was a very humbling experience, but at the same time I was impressed at just what these old black powder cartridges can do. Toppling a 12"x32" ram at 546 yards with iron sights and a rainbow trajectory is very satisfying, even if it did only happen about half the time. The pigs weren't too bad. I managed a string of 5 in a row there. The Turkeys proved challenging and 7 of them survived. The offhand chickens at 200 meters, well we don't even need to go there...
All in all, sounds like a PERFECT time - humbling, educational, and FUN - all rolled into one, and done with firearms no less....! 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

AJMD429 wrote:
TedH wrote:Had a great time though. Met a bunch of great guys and learned a lot. It was a very humbling experience, but at the same time I was impressed at just what these old black powder cartridges can do. Toppling a 12"x32" ram at 546 yards with iron sights and a rainbow trajectory is very satisfying, even if it did only happen about half the time. The pigs weren't too bad. I managed a string of 5 in a row there. The Turkeys proved challenging and 7 of them survived. The offhand chickens at 200 meters, well we don't even need to go there...
All in all, sounds like a PERFECT time - humbling, educational, and FUN - all rolled into one, and done with firearms no less....! 8)
Could have done without the fog and haze, but other than that, yeah it was great.
NRA Life Member
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

You admit too much Ted! :wink:

Congrats though! 8)
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Excellent Ted, pleased for yer'.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!