Any "EXTRA" Value here?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Any "EXTRA" Value here?

Post by TedH »

I've got two full boxes of these OLD, CCI primers. One box of LR and one box of LP. I had a bunch of these and have been using them up and they work fine. I was about to open up the box of large rifle primers and wondered if they might have some collector value to the right person? I don't know their exact age, but I'm guessing from the packaging they are from the '70's? What do you think?

NRA Life Member
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Any "EXTRA" Value here?

Post by Griff »

I would venture a guess that they're older than that. Ive been buying CCIs since the mid seventies, and only remember very little change from their current packaging.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I thought about contacting CCI with the Lot numbers and see if they had records that could tell us when they were made.
NRA Life Member
Gunnin'Wreck

Post by Gunnin'Wreck »

I have been reloading since 1970, and that is the first time I have seen that packaging.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Gunnin'Wreck wrote:I have been reloading since 1970, and that is the first time I have seen that packaging.
Same here.

As far as 'value' I think the nostalgic value of older packaging would be offset by doubts concerning reliability.

However I've taken note of all the warnings about "handle primers with utmost care and avoid all moisture and solvents", yet used forty-year-old primers which were stored in 'junk-drawers' along with oily rags and such, and never had a primer fail me yet.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
AkRay
Levergunner 2.0

Post by AkRay »

I seem to recall Lee Jurras posting that there was no certain, foolproof way of killing primers to dispose of them. You could get them wet but once they dried out again they would work as intended. He should know, he used to own the Super Vel ammo corporation.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

AkRay wrote:I seem to recall Lee Jurras posting that there was no certain, foolproof way of killing primers to dispose of them. You could get them wet but once they dried out again they would work as intended. He should know, he used to own the Super Vel ammo corporation.
Bunch of years ago he had a forum, I was a member there for a bit.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

At the current prices I would just use them. Fact is I have a box of a thousand just like the ones you pictured that I am using. Have a thousand Winchester LR that are much older and I am using them too and wish I had about 5K more.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS