Barrel question with a win 94

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
bigtheno
Levergunner

Barrel question with a win 94

Post by bigtheno »

photo.JPG
I recently purchased a Winchester 94 receiver with amazing case harding but it's missing a barrel. I need to decide which caliber to get this rifle barreled in. I have two brand new 94 barrels in 32 win special and 44-40, each are carbine length round barrels; here is my questions, which of these calibers should I choose? Should I use one of these barrels or should I sell them and purchase the rifle length octagon barrel? I am very much open to suggestion. Let me know your thoughts
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Barrel question with a win 94

Post by earlmck »

Just from the fact that you asked the question of this group of enablers -- I can tell that you need to get the rifle-length octagon barrel, probably in 38/55. Put a tang sight on there and you're off to the cowboy silhouette shoots. That should make a really fine looking rifle.

And by the way -- Welcome to the stump!
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

here ya go, take your pick. :wink:

this may not have been a good place to ask such a question. :D

welcome home.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/1369690.htm

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/882400.htm
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Hi.

Out the two choices and their lengths the 44/40.

But it's not my call! Only you can decide afraid.

Nice looking reciever.

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

What happened to the original barrel? Things like that always make me a little nervous. If somebody blew it up, there might be damage to the action not easily seen by the eye.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Welcome.
The "guts" of the reciever have an impact on the cartridge you can use I would think.
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
bigtheno
Levergunner

Post by bigtheno »

The receiver is brand new never been used so it has never had an original barrel to blow up. I appreciate the info, I already have a 94 in 30-30 so I'm trying to finish this one in a different caliber, if I need to modify the guts to accommodate the caliber I will. I'm strongly considering the 32 special with a full rifle octagon barrel. Just trying to find one might prove difficult. I have a guy who will head space it, etc., just trying to piece the rest together. I'm still open to suggestions so please bring them on. THANK YOU!!
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Welcome!

It's gotta be 38-55, 24" octagon and I'd put a full length magazine on it. I second (or third) the tang sight along with a Marbles folding rear sight on the barrel. Two quick zeros available that way.

Check out Green Mountain barrels. They are very accurate.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Image and Welcome to the Forum.

I think I'm pretty consistent in how I answer this question... the Winchester action was designed by John Moses Browning for Winchester as a RIFLE, utilizing a new cartridge Winchester was developing to use the new smoke"LESS" powder, known as the .30WCF, or as commonly called today, the .30-30. However, the barrels weren't ready by the time Winchester was ready to indroduce it to the market place, so it was produced for the first year in .32-40 and .38-55, two older cartridges based off the .38-55 Ballard cartridge, same as the 30WCF was. The 30WCF was finally offered as a chambering in 1895.

The .44-40 was not offered in the mdl 94 (originally known as the mdl 1894) Winchester until sometime in the 1990s in the Angle Eject version of the 94 as produced by USRAC. Unlike the .357 or .45Colt, with their straight walls, the .44-40 is an excellent black powder rifle cartridge. But... seems to me to be somewhat sacrilegious, wasting a perfect rifle cartridge length action by using a pistol length cartridge. :twisted: :P FWIW, the straight-walled pistol length cartridges don't fare well in the un-needed extra length of the mdl 94. The mdl 1892 Winchester or the 1894 Marlin are pistol length actions and are much better suited platforms.

The choice of barrel length is mainly personal. Whether you choose the Trapper 16", carbine in a 20" or rifle in 22", 24" or 26" lengths is really amatter of personal choice. All are "correct" to some period of production, and factory specials are known in longer lengths also. I have rebarreled one of mine with a 26" full octagon barrel, one that has no taper (as do the factory barrels), very heavy, but quite accurate. I also have 2 Trappers, .30-30s in 16" length, a few 26" factory octagon barrels and several 20 Carbine versions.

Some folks claim the "bark" of the 16" length is excessive... but with ear plugs in, I haven't found it to be excessive. It is certainly "handy" and makes for an excellent "truck" or saddlegun. The Carbine in a 20" is also quite handy, and IS the quintessential Winchester 94. I find the 26" rifle configuration to be the most accurate of them all, and is the preferred hunting arm if I'm not having to lug it around by hand all day. However, that extra weight seems to help steady my aim for off-hand shots, and the extra length between sights (especially with a tang mounted peep sight) makes for much more accrate long range shots.

Again, those are MY thoughts on the subject. Others will probably vary, either slightly, or wildly... but none will be quite as accurate for you as the ones you develop for yourself. :P :lol: :D :D
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

First of all - WELCOME, bigtheno !

JMO, but I never advise putting (or buying) a pistol-length cartridge (like the .44-40) together with a rifle-length receiver (like the Model 1894/94 ), even though Winchester obviously did with modern pistol-length magnum cartridges ( .357, .44RemMag).

If you want another carbine, why then - you're all set.

If you want "not a carbine" ;), then a longer bbl's in order, like a .38-55 (although there's a very strong attraction within me for a 24" .32 Special, like a Model 64 Deer Rifle) .

I'm further partial to a partial-length magazine, even unto a "button" mag, myself.

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Oh yes, the full length mag under a 26" rifle configuration mdl 94 is the best LOOKING mdl 94 also. However, one of the most popular configurations is a half-mag under a 26" half round/half octagon. This configuration has a bit of added weight for steady holding, yet isn't quite as fatiguing as the full octagon. It was used as the configuration for 1994's "Centennial" version, with USRAC even using the original form of a top eject receiver for the commemorative. It is also a VERY good looking rifle, as several members here have examples. I'm building one myself, using a non-crossbolt safety receiver I picked up as a project. Still waiting on the custom wood before I send it off for metal finishing. A very popular configuration known as the "Hunter's Rifle" is the mdl 64 or re-issued in the 1970s as the mdl 64A uses a semi-pistol grip stock, curved lever, round 24" or 26" barrel and half mag. Also a good looking configuration.

My Custom heavy barreled 94, .30-30:

My mdl 64A:

16" Trapper:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

If you are a cast bullet shooter the 32 WS has the 30-30 beat hand down due to the slower barrel twist. If you don't shoot cast bullets, there is nothing to be gained over the 30-30.
Doc.Holliday
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Doc.Holliday »

I agree on the 38-55 octagon rifle barrel first; failing that a my second choice would be 32 spec.
“Doc was a dentist whom necessity had made a gambler; a philosopher whom life had made a caustic wit; a long, lean, ash-blond fellow nearly dead from consumption, at the same time the most skilful gambler and the nerviest, speediest, deadliest man with a six-gun I ever knew.”
Wyatt Earp: San Francisco Examiner-August 2,1896

damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

bigtheno wrote: I have two brand new 94 barrels in 32 win special and 44-40, each are carbine length round barrels; here is my questions, which of these calibers should I choose? Should I use one of these barrels or should I sell them and purchase the rifle length octagon barrel? I am very much open to suggestion.
Choosing from your two barrels, I would choose the 32 WS. Since you are open to suggestions, I would sell them and get a 26" octagonal barrel chambered in 38-55 with a full length magazine tube.

As Griff said;
Griff wrote: the full length mag under a 26" rifle configuration mdl 94 is the best LOOKING mdl 94 also.
I really like the pattern of the CCH, my old H&R Model 157 has a very similar pattern. What sort of stock/buttplate does it have, rifle, shotgun or carbine?
bigtheno
Levergunner

Post by bigtheno »

I believe the curved butt plate means rifle. Based on what you all are saying it looks like I'm getting the 38-55 with a full octagon and full mag tube. Can anyone direct me on where I can find a mag tube for it? I like the barrels on gunpartscorp so I might grab one of those unless someone here has a better suggestion. I'll sell my previous two barrels and use the money to fund the new barrel and parts. Thanks you all your suggestions. Everyone her has been most helpful.

Erick
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

.32 WS, no question about it. IME, the best cartridges for which to chamber this action are the family, i.e. .219 Zipper, .25-35, .30 WCF, .32 WS, or .38-55 Win. The action has to be changed a bit to accommodate the shorter cartridges like the .357 Mag, .44 Mag or .45 Colt. Those can be fun in a factory gun, but not for building a really nice 94.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Welcome, I actually really like that pattern of case hardening. Reminds of a blued tiger-striped camo. If you get a different barrel, I'd go for a 38/55, or if you wanna really be different get an octagon 25/35 or 1 of its improved versions. 3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
bigtheno
Levergunner

Post by bigtheno »

Where is a good place to purchase a barrel in 38-55?
cab32
Levergunner

Post by cab32 »

what needs to be changed in the action besides the barrel to go with the 38/55 ?
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Welcome & you have a mighty fine start on your new 38-55
of course there is nothing wrong with a 25-35 or 32 WS

ollogger
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Homestead has magazine tubes, up to 26" long: http://www.homesteadparts.com/shopcart/ ... r_1894.htm

Midwest has magazine springs: http://www.midwestgunworks.com/mm5/merc ... w_perpage=

Numrich/gunparts has the .38-55 octagon bbl: http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/882400.htm

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

bigtheno wrote:Where is a good place to purchase a barrel in 38-55?
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/882400.htm, it's .835" ACF (across the flats) full octagon. If it is like mine in .30-30, it has not taper... and makes it quite muzzle-heavy. Which I like, but not everyone does.
cab32 wrote:what needs to be changed in the action besides the barrel to go with the 38/55 ?
You need a new mag spring, tube hanger forend tenon, forend cap and screws. Your magazine cap and screw "might" work.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
bigtheno
Levergunner

Post by bigtheno »

I guess my next question is, does anyone want to purchase a carbine round barrel in 32 special (top eject) or 44-40 (angle eject), blued and brand new for a winchester 94? I even have a used barrel for a Remington Rolling Block in 30-40 krag if anyone is interested. Not sure what they are worth so let me know your thoughts.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

You should probably post them in the classified section.

pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

now you did it.

Griff wrote:My Custom heavy barreled 94, .30-30:

My mdl 64A:

16" Trapper:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

16"
trapper1.JPG
20"
3-94s.JPG
22"
favorite94.JPG
24"
specialollie1.JPG
26"
192894.JPG
don't ask which is my favorite.
changes day to day. :wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
bigtheno
Levergunner

Post by bigtheno »

very nice pokey!

If I was to get the Numrich 38-55 octagon rifle barrel, which forend wood should I get? What length? There are so many choices and I don't want to purchase the wrong one. Thanks
bigtheno
Levergunner

Post by bigtheno »

I've been working on acquiring parts for my 94 but one question stand out in my mind; Do I need post or pre 64 parts? I purchased the barrel from Numrich in 38-55 26" octagon barrel but as for the tube mount that goes under the barrel and the tenon screw that secures the forend nose cap, which do I need? Thank you for any information you all can give.
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

these should be ok, as always, they will need some fitting. :wink:

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/882930B.htm

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/1335430.htm

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/283830.htm

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/1048340.htm

and some of the rest.
Pete44ru wrote:Homestead has magazine tubes, up to 26" long: http://www.homesteadparts.com/shopcart/ ... r_1894.htm

Midwest has magazine springs: http://www.midwestgunworks.com/mm5/merc ... w_perpage=

Numrich/gunparts has the .38-55 octagon bbl: http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/882400.htm

you will still need a mag plug and screw, front site, barrel tennon and screws.
it's quite a project, something to be proud of when completed. 8)

"BECAUSE I CAN"
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

bigtheno wrote: Do I need post or pre 64 parts?.
post. :wink:

"BECAUSE I CAN"
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I build a 94 with the Numrich 38-55 barrel . I used the pre 64 forend cap and wood. It is a little slimmer than the post 64 stuff.

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

bigtheno wrote:If I was to get the Numrich 38-55 octagon rifle barrel, which forend wood should I get? What length? There are so many choices and I don't want to purchase the wrong one. Thanks
Call Numrich. They generally have the parts needed for a conversion set aside or at least identified. I started my conversion in the late 1980's and they used the "commemorative" type forend cap. It just has a hole in the barrel with a single screw to attach it. Numrich had the correct length forend so only minimal fitting needed to be done. At one time, they sold the barrels, forend, cap, mag tube and associated parts as a kit. As I said, call 'em.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!