How many guys can truly handle a rifle 30-06 or bigger?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bridger
Levergunner 3.0

How many guys can truly handle a rifle 30-06 or bigger?

Post by Bridger »

I always hear guys talking about their 30-06, 7 mags, etc. and I can't help but wonder if they can really shoot it? I have a 30-06, but if you were gonna put me in front of a charging grizzly bear, I'll take my Winchester 30-30 any day of the week. The recoil from it doesn't bother me at all, but I ain't ashamed to admit the 30-06 is at my upper limit of tolerance. I'd rather put a 30-30 bullet where it belongs than a whizzbang magnum bullet where it don't because I can't control it. How many of yall think your average hunter can really handle a 30-06 and up? I guess the reason I am asking is I got called a sissy earlier today because I don't care for recoil. What say you?
"The best argument against democracy
is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

- Winston Churchill
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Re: How many guys can truly handle a rifle 30-06 or bigger?

Post by sore shoulder »

Well as a matter of fact I just confirmed zero on my .50 BMG not an hour ago. :lol:

Also, I have my name for a reason. I've hunted elk with a .300winmag for over 15 years, and I spend a lot of time shooting it in between seasons, I also spend a lot of time shooting the 45-70 guide gun with pretty stiff rounds.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

Guess its what you like to shoot, I'm on my 3rd barrel in my M70 300 win mag. Shoot it alot, sometimes 700 rounds a year.
But I do have a 500 Smith encore, I load 700 gr bullets in and it will slap the snot right out of ya.
Last edited by harry on Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Kind of depends on how much you shoot. Once thought 30-06 recoil was insane but came through much practice to sub inch groups and 150 rds in some sessions - technique at the bench and standing.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

What I say? Your right. Most people, whether they admit it or not, consider the 30-06 the upper limits and I'd go as far to say most people can only handle 30-30 limits..........decently, and in quantity.

Anything can be shot well for a dozen rounds, except maybe the 378 Weatherby. They are worse than the 460 Whby..

The 06 don't bother me but in reality, I'm not comfortable shooting it all day, unless its out of my NM Garand. A 30-30, 40-65, 38-55 etc I can enjoy shooting all day with a t-shirt on.......with cast loads in the 1400-1800 range.

Last month, I burned up 50 rounds of 300 Win. Mag out of a Sako Finnbear and I was glad when they were gone. The ammo was old (12 years or so) and I wanted to get rid of it, and rid myself of it I did, blasting all 50 rds at the 500 meter ram in about 45 minutes.

Gonna hit the gunclub tomorrow with 100 38-55's, 125 .348's (cast at 16), 50 40-65's, and 100 44 Spls out of a Colt Shooting Master-------don't expect any sore shoulder----------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

I had a 300 Win Mag once upon a time. I could shoot it...about 10 rounds before I was ready to pack up and go home. I don't mind shooting my 45-70 at the bench, but that 300 Win Mag beat me to death. I had no problem hunting with it. I never even noticed the recoil when I pulled the trigger in the field. I even scoped myself pretty bad a couple times because of an awkward shooting position, but never knew it until well after the shot. In reality, a 30-06 is not only the upper limit for most people as far as recoil, but it's really all (or more) than you really need in North America. I prefer to stick with .308 and its derivatives in bolt guns because of the recoil, range, and short actions available. If I need more than a .243, 7mm-08, or .308 I will go with the big bore 45-70 shooting heavy and relatively slow rather than throw a 150-180 gr. projectile at a million fps.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
n2t
Levergunner 2.0

Post by n2t »

My rifle battery, 35rem, 243win, 300 savage, my gf shoots a 357mag carbine and a 7mm-08, I'm NOT a recoil fan, lol.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

c'mon man..06 aint that bad.. love mine Win. Model 70 XTR...78 vintage
dont shoot it very much though...except before hunting...
just not as fun to shoot....its too darn accurate... sub 1" at 100 yards

anything larger down here is really not needed.

except for a 38-55 :D
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Walker »

Didn't bother me as much in my younger days. I had a model 1952 mannlicher carbine in 30-06 that was very accurate but slapped the snot out of me from the bench. Terrible stock design for that cartridge. My model 71 would leave with smiling and a little punch drunk after more than 20 rounds. Now I enjoy my 257 rbts, 6.5x54ms, and 30-40 krag src.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I am of the opinion that there are several factors at work and I prioritize them for myself in this way. #1 is attitude. You have to be convinced that you can learn to manage the recoil, most often you can learn, sometimes you don't want to. #2 is stock design. For me the Ruger pattern works so that I can shoot the .338 Win Mag from the bench but the Remington 700s I've shot make a .30-06 painful. #3 is sound. Lots of guns are easier to handle when the noise isn't painful. #4 is position. Learning to position the gun and your body correctly can do a lot to manage recoil. If you do it wrong you'll feel it. Basics of position count as well. One can take more standing than prone.

As with all shooting the ability to concentrate on the basics for each individual shot can help block out one's impressions of recoil. Then again, some people simply don't have the musculature or perhaps have joint problems that make shooting painful. There might be other medical problems that are limiting in some way.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

"Learning to position the gun and your body correctly can do a lot to manage recoil. If you do it wrong you'll feel it." - Hobie !!!!
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Having gone through a few Winchester Model 70 .458 Mags, from 1974 to 1979 at the W.R.Weaver Co.
I can tell you that stock design is a BIG factor in how you percieve recoil.
Some are shooter friendly, many are not so.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

And it was watching an older fellow maybe 5'8" shoot his Win 458 that confirmed the clue. Now you survived all that - what would you say?

Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

I am happy to say that I have become pretty much inured to recoil. Not saying I want to bench-shoot 100 rounds of .458 Win Mag, but after decades I think the message is embedded in my nervous system -- "It ain't gonna hurt you."
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

OS, are you asking me?
If so, what is it you are asking me?
Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Alan Wood »

Not to put too fine a point on it but the shooters weight figures into this as well. At least in offhand! The lighter you are the more you can absorb the recoil by being pushed back as opposed to being bruised. At least in my opinion. Man I have really gotta loose some weight!
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

:lol:
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

The biggest thing I've learned shooting off hand is to roll with the recoil, not fight it. Completely the opposite of shooting a tactical carbine. From the bench I've learned, add more padding lol. A muzzle brake does wonders also. Add a heavier barrel into the mix and you can tame a lot of recoil right there. My next barrel for the 300 is going to be 28" bull profile. This barrel is long and heavy enough that it should not require a brake. The magnum profile has served me well and with a slip on buttpad has been just fine, but I'm looking to extend the range a bit using the 210gr Berger VLD and some really slow powder. If the 28" ends up being too long I'll just cut it down, but I don't think it's going to be a problem.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I think there is a technique that allows you to move with it and not absorb it so much and wondered if you having more experience with the 458 (which is certainly at the edge of toleration) thought the same and what you had to say. My personal opinion - you do it wrong and it is going to hurt you - right and you can handle it.

Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Recoil is a function of physics.
Yes, you have to learn how to roll with it, the smaller, lighter guys, (me) may have an advantage as they offer less resistance to the rifle.
I found that the straighter american classic stocks are better than others, Monte Carlo, the Europeon
designs all transfer recoil down and in, the classics just push back.
I think most shooters( barring physical limitations ) could comfortably go beyond .30-.06 if properly stocked.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Agreed and they learned the right technique I think they would find a Ruger 338 or a 375 H&H comfortable to shoot.

Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I agree, easily mastered.
Hayseed
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Hayseed »

To me a 7 mag kicks worse than a 338 mag ! The snap of a 7 compared to push of the 338 with 250 grainers !

I shoot '06 and 30-338 mag pretty good and have never considered them heavy recoil.
Now my 45-110 with 535 grainers is recoil ! But knowing it is there and being prepared for it is key and is quite managable.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

What you are feeling is the more rapid rise to the peak of the pressure curve.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

.30-06 is about as far as I go.

I got nothin' to prove, and I don't hunt anything fierce enough to require a gun that kills on both ends.

:lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

With shotguns, and 45-70s in my background, I can shoot my 30-06 Ruger bolt action with complete comfort.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Over the years I suppose I have tried and or worked up loads for a good many of the bruiser Beasties (well not the double rifle beasties) .

The "normal" mags IE 264 WIN MAG , 270 Weatherby , 300 Weatherby , 300 WIN MAG , 7mm REM MAG , 7mm STW , 7mm Ultra Mag , 338 Win Mag , 338 Ultra mag and the 8mm REM MAG never bothered me .

I've owned a pair of 375 H&H MAG's one a Ruger #1H that I have now and the other an Interarms Mark X Whitworth and neither of those I thought recoiled that bad . Also shot a friends CZ550 375 and that one wasn't bad either .

I've also owned a pair of 416 REM MAG's and in the same cinfigurations as the 375's . The 416 is bad at all with the 350 grainers . I thought when I went to the Hornady 400 grain RN or the Nosler 400 PT that it could get a bit noticable after 5 or 6 shots . My same buddy has a CZ550 n a 416 Rigby , and when I worked his load using the Nosler 400 I didn't think his was that bad .

Same friend has a CZ550 in a 505 Gibbs and again I worked up the loads . With the Barnes 525 TSX you gotta know this thing is gonna move you . But if you realize and are prepared it's not an abruot recoil like say a 300 Ultra or the like the 505 is a BIG push . And once you understand it , it isn't bad .

My 444's and the 45-70's aren't bad either . And my loads are usually at the upper end .

I will however say I HAD a Ruger #1H in 458 WIN MAG . With my handloads and iron sights I could keep three in an inch at 50 yards from the bench . But after a three shot group I needed to get up and walk around . But on the other hand my buddy in Wyoming formerly of Doylestwon PA had a 458 WIN MAG on a 98 action with a kinda large laminated stock and that 458 wasn't bad .

Now this may sound absurd but about the worst I've been thumped at the bench was with three different 308 WIN's I HAD . Two of them were Remington Model 7 stainless synthetics and the other was a Ruger 77RSI tang safety gun . All three were loaded woth 150 grain handloads and all three from the bench would wop me pretty good . Now maybe I didn't hold them tight enough or whatever . But they thumped me pretty well . Now I have a Mannlicher Schoenauer 308 that is uhm more fullsize and that ones non existant recoil .

On another note my trials and tribulations with the REM and WIN short mags .Of the two Remington short Ultra Mags and the WSM in 270 , 300 and 325 of which I owned rifles in all at one time or another . the only one that was noticable was the 270 WSM and that wasn't the recoil but rather the muzzle jump . That thing in the bags if you didn't use both hands would get up in your face PDQ .

Anyway I can honestly say the only ones that bothered me so far were a trio of lightweight 308's and a Ruger #1H in 458 WIN MAG .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

.30-06 in my M-1, no prriblem, even off the bench. My 7mmRM in the Rem 700 is ok for any position, but after about 3 5-shot groups off the bench, I gotta get off the gun. I can't even do that with the B-I-L's Ruger M77 with the same loads. The 1886 in 45-70 or the Sharps in .40-90SBN are both fine off the bench, but prone? Kills my shoulder after about 50 rounds. Sitting, I can shoot any of them all day.

Stock design, fit, gun weight, bullet weight, velocity & shooting position are all factors in felt recoil. Individual sensitivity varies according to conditioning, physical conformation, ability to get correct hold, and pain threshold. Anyone making assumprions based on size, etc is using irrelavent data.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Shatterhand
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Old Shatterhand »

It depends a lot on the fit of the rifle which recoil one can handle. Personally, I have had four rifles in .30-06 or the equivalent 8x60 Mauser. They have been soft to shoulder, except a Husqvarna 1640, which kicked like a wild donkey. That rifle had a very low comb and a high mounted scope. I changed the stock to a new one with high comb and had a rifle that didn't kick at all. The 9,3x62 is popular here, and is easy to shoot well, as it rather pushes than kicks.

Most magnums don't push as standard calibers, but slap hardly, regardless of stock design. An exception is the .375 Holland, which is a pleasure to shoot.

Pete
Winchester model 88 .308 WCF
Winchester model 71 .348 WCF
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Yep, the .30-06 in the M1 Rifle feels like a comfortably stocked .30-30 partly because of stock form and mostly because of firearm weight.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

I've shot a .30-06 once in my life. A few rounds prone with sporter weight rifle, can't say I enjoyed that at all. Also can't say I enjoy sighting in my 12ga from a bench either. But sighting in at a range is 180 degrees from shooting in the field. I have never noticed my 12ga recoil in the field, not even once. It's a ***** cat. If it came to a charging bear I don't think I'd be noticing the recoil of any gun, no matter how bad the kick, either.

I did find my limit for range work though. Fired a 3" slug through my lightweight 1300, once. Did it standing and it literally knocked me off balance. Had to take a full 2 steps back to regain it and POI was a foot higher than the 2 3/4" slugs.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Hobie's points were about spot on. I'm not ashamed to say that I don't enjoy pounding recoil in any quantity. I've spent most of my life shooting old rifles with soft recoil and low noise. I've never owned a belted magnum and probably never will. I can do what I need with a 30-06 or 308 and hit what I want where I need to hit it.
I've never been a fan of really light rifles and find them difficult to shoot well in real world conditions. Stock fit is important also and I believe most are a little long. That is why so many people shoot so well with M-1's and M-1A's, a little weight and proper stock length. I recently built myself a general purpose, do-all rifle and chose an 03A3 as the platform. An 8-9 pound 30-06.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Stock design, and position you shoot from both have large bearing on felt recoil. Shooting from a bench is about the most uncomfortable way to shoot, especially the way most people do it. Leaning in and down into the gun is the best way to feel the most possible recoil. Prone isn't far behind. The Brits used to use a standing rest for sighting in their larger African caliber guns. That allowed the shooter to move with the gun when the shot went off.

I started shooting a cut down 1917 30-06 when I was about 12, and thought it was great fun. Have shot various guns over the years, and shooting offhand or field positions is vastly more comfortable than from a bench. When bench shooting, if you get your rest high enough that you can keep your back straight up really helps in dealing with recoil. It lets your body move with the recoil, rather than bracing you into it (dumb from the felt recoil perspective).

Stock design and fit play a large part. I worked up loads for a freinds 300 mag in a Winchester model 70 with Boss brake. I thought it was very uncomfortable to shoot, I didnt like it at all. The Ruger 77 in 338 never bothered me, nor have the 375 Whitworths I've shot and/or owned. A decent recoil pad helps a lot, but isn't the real answer if the stock doesnt fit you, or is simly poorly designed. I think the military stocks are generaly too short, but are functional. Having a stock fit you well, for length as well as drop etc, and stocked for the sights you're using help a lot. Using a stock designed for scope use with irons can make the felt recoil seem more if you're bearing down hard on the comb with your cheek to be able to see the sights, instead of having them fall comfortably in line without bearing down so hard.

Some poo-poo scopes, and call them slow etc, but much of that is the scope being mounted poorly (like too high/low of rings, or the high see thru rings), having the eye relief wrong, or the stock not fitting them right. When the gun is done correctly, the image should magically appear where you were looking before throwing the gun up. Hitting moving small critters isn't that tough when the gun is scoped and stocked correctly for the shooter (one guys gun doesnt neccesarily fit anyone else quite right, but there seems to be a lot of overlap with a good design). If one spends time getting their gun/sights right, heavier calibers aren't that much of an issue.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
donw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by donw »

my 870 rem pump shooting slugs...

i trained with the M1 Garand...hundreds of rounds in very short periods of time...my cheek got sore from cheek weld on the stock. but the recoil was manageable...

now days? my .308 win Savage 12 is the hardest kicking centerfire if have...and it's not too bad..
if you think you're influencial, try telling someone else's dog what to do---will rogers
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Sticks & stones, etc, etc.

The -06 is about as strong a cartridge as I care to shoot anymore (I'm 70), although when I was (much) younger I had NP shooting & hunting my .338 Win Mag, .375H&H, and a .458 Win Mag - but nobody's ever been juvenile enough to call me a sissy FTF.

If I didn't learn anything else over the years, I learned that even a .30-30 or a .44Mag can slap a shooter silly, if it has a poorly-designed stock.

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

.45/70 loaded to stop a big AK Brown is as "big" as I've gone without a trippd,but it's all relative.

My '99 in 308 boots me harder than I'd like, but my HK91 with the "eat you alive" paratrooper stock using the same ammo is an all-day shooter.

Of course the 91 weighs 4 lbs more (loaded) than the 99, so...

But AFAIC for one or two shots I don't care how big it is... Offhand anyway.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Hobie wrote:I am of the opinion that there are several factors at work and I prioritize them for myself in this way. #1 is attitude. You have to be convinced that you can learn to manage the recoil, most often you can learn, sometimes you don't want to. #2 is stock design. For me the Ruger pattern works so that I can shoot the .338 Win Mag from the bench but the Remington 700s I've shot make a .30-06 painful. #3 is sound. Lots of guns are easier to handle when the noise isn't painful. #4 is position. Learning to position the gun and your body correctly can do a lot to manage recoil. If you do it wrong you'll feel it. Basics of position count as well. One can take more standing than prone.
Plus I'd add #5, the weight of the gun; many guys don't want the "pain" of carrying a nine pound rifle if they can find a seven pound one in the same chambering. If it is a 'carried lots, shot seldom' one, like a CCW handgun, I can see the logic, but there IS a trade-off.

My 338 Lapua is my most powerful rifle, but recoil is 'nil' since the durned thing weighs about 14 pounds (and I think that may be before you add the scope; I forget). Would I want to haul it up the side of a mountain all day long...? No - but I'd rather shoot it than my 44 Mag Marlin 1894, when it comes to 'recoil'. Same thing with the Ruger 375 - it is more pleasant to shoot than the 308 Bolt action I have (98 Mauser rebuild on a lightweight synthetic stock); but it is considerably heavier, plus has a Pachmayr stock.

It is kinda like handgun recoil - I'd much rather shoot my Bisley Hunter in 44 Magnum than a S&W lightweight snubbie in 38 special...! It weighs more, is more ergonomically able to redirect recoil in better directions, and the recoil is more of a 'push' than 'whack'.

Rifle-wise, some of the most flinch-inducing guns I've shot, aside from 12 gauge shotguns using slugs, have been light-weight ones in 'mid-power' cartridges.

Specifically to the 30-06, I do NOT enjoy shooting the typical 'sporter' bolt-action ones, but my 1903 Springfield is pretty enjoyable, and a Garand is downright FUN. Again, I think it is the gun, not necessarily the chambering.

As far as 'recoil sensitivity' - it is sad that our 'macho' nature makes us all tend to want to prove ourselves by shooting just a bit more than we can handle well; in the employment they call this the Peter Principle I think (you get promoted until one step above your best competency). We should be focusing on the terminal ballistics and accuracy of delivered rounds, not the cartridge with which we obtain those results.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
n2t
Levergunner 2.0

Post by n2t »

I put a limbsaver recoil pad on my .243win, lol.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I think most of the guys that don't like recoil won't answer, but the "Manly Men" will tell about their experiences with shooting hundreds of rounds through their .500 Nitro Express... 8) :lol:
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

The 45-70 with stiff loads seem much more robust than the '06. I don't have any numbers to back it up, it's just my impression, and since "felt" recoil is very subjective (as opposed to actual recoil energy that can be calculated) I'll go with that.

Most 45-70 loads are pretty easy to handle, but get into stuff from Buffalo Bore or Garrett, it moves to a whole new level. I like it. I know I'm a bit weird, but I like it when the GS lets me know I've pulled the trigger.

Frankly, I think the heavy 45-70 loads recoil more than the Barrett in .416. But, the Barrett is a semi auto, and that likely soaks up some recoil.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

I don't particularly "like" recoil but as some might guess by my signature line, I REALLY like the 30-06. I currently only have three, two bolts and a Garand but I honestly don't think that the recoil is bad. I like 30 caliber and load for .303Brit, 7.65 Argentine, and the little .30 Carbine. I also load for and shoot .375 Winchester, .444 Marlin and .45-70. In my opinion, my Mossberg 835 shooting 3 1/2" magnums recoils harder than any other gun I own. I guess some are more sensitive to recoil than others, could be body size, weight, strength and lifestyle. I am 6' 200# and am very active. Might make a difference to someone who leads a more sedentary lifestyle or is of slight stature.

ETA: I also load and shoot .30-30, .32WS, .35Rem, .38-55 but few would find any of those heavy recoilers.
Last edited by damienph on Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

My first centerfire was/ is a Springfield 03A3 and also have my Grandfather's '03 Sporter that's very light along with several other .30-06s. I've never found it to be an uncomfortable round to shoot but I've been shooting them for many, many years.

One of my favorite fun guns is my .450 Marlin but it will get ya if your not paying attention. :oops:

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

There was nothing " manly " about it.
It was my job for 5 years, I got paid (well) to do it.
I suppose that gives me "professional" status?
At least according to my dictionary :?
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Bridger wrote:I always hear guys talking about their 30-06, 7 mags, etc. and I can't help but wonder if they can really shoot it? I have a 30-06, but if you were gonna put me in front of a charging grizzly bear, I'll take my Winchester 30-30 any day of the week. The recoil from it doesn't bother me at all, but I ain't ashamed to admit the 30-06 is at my upper limit of tolerance. I'd rather put a 30-30 bullet where it belongs than a whizzbang magnum bullet where it don't because I can't control it. How many of yall think your average hunter can really handle a 30-06 and up? I guess the reason I am asking is I got called a sissy earlier today because I don't care for recoil. What say you?

Gotta believe you have not shot many 7mm Rem Mags???????
Specically the 7mm Rem Mag (not the other ones)---------------------------------And with normal factory 154gr rds.
Honest to God-----not trying to be a smart a## but if you can't handle that---------need to man up some! :wink:
Why do I say that-----my 5'8" 120lb daughter can shoot (a box/on the bench)and do wonderfully.
The M1 also.The other lighter bolts like the synthetic stocked 22" Rem LSS 700 Mountain Gun in 30-06(she don't like it for more than 3 or 4 rds)on bench.
Put it this way-------I won't even let her try(on the bench)my 300 Win Mag.
The difference is monumental!
I find the recoil (of that rd,the 7mm Rem Mag-----and in a 7-8lb bolt gun-----------no worse than a SB light 30-30 carbine.(just a louder boom)
Honestly-----I think the 30-06 kicks more.

Now------what you have to understand------is what are you wanting of the gun????
When after specific game(needing proper gun)----you gotta suck it up and get used to it(or don't hunt that game)
Fun target shooting------a lot of rds-----sure an 30-06 in say a M1--------pleasant.A 300 win Mag----not

Honestly---------I can handle the big stuff-----do I enjoy the wallop------with bunches and bunches------No
But if you can fire a mag full of whatever it may be----and not flinch to the sky------and hit stuff proper(you are handling it)just not enjoying the bump!
Last edited by madman4570 on Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Old Savage wrote:Kind of depends on how much you shoot. Once thought 30-06 recoil was insane but came through much practice to sub inch groups and 150 rds in some sessions - technique at the bench and standing.
Yep. I don't like recoil but one learns to deal with it.

Still, I have an unfired Weatherby .460 (got it from a distressed friend I was helping out) because I know my limits. Until I can load up some .45-70 power rounds for that baby it'll sit unmolested in the back of the safe. You could not pay me to shoot that rifle!
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Hobie wrote: #2 is stock design. For me the Ruger pattern works so that I can shoot the .338 Win Mag from the bench but the Remington 700s I've shot make a .30-06 painful.
That's interesting. Of course the Rem 700 comes in several stock designs! Are you talking standard wood Ruger stock vs. the standard 700 BDL stock? I'm curious to know why this may be the case for you (and likely me).

Weatherby always touted their "recoil away" forward sloped dropping comb as a smart stock design for their stout recoiling rifles. Seems to make sense!
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I have an 8 lb. Rem Mountain Rifle in 30-06 that seems to recoil less than a 9 1/2 lb. Win 70 even though the Remington has a faster barrel and gets higher velocity. That must be stock design.

Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

olyinaz,
If you do shoot it, do it standing.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I would rather shoot a box of .30-06 from a bolt gun than a box of .30-30 from a
94 carbine.
The little 94 .30-30 kicks me harder than even my Marlin .338 Express.
That said, I would chose the 94 .30-30 over the bolt 06 for hunting because of the fact
it is a light, handy to carry and very cool little rifle. :wink:
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:I would rather shoot a box of .30-06 from a bolt gun than a box of .30-30 from a 94 carbine.
I will admit that shooting 170gr JSP .30-30s through my 16" model 94 trapper does get my attention. Not painful by any means but recoil approaching my .375 Big Bore. However, I have never really noticed recoil when taking a shot while hunting.