Sinus's

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Sinus's

Post by 6pt-sika »

I usually have sinus cold etc twice a year !

Once in the spring and again in the fall .

And typically anytime I go overseas I get a touch of it and usually I take care of it over there and when I return home I'm fine .

This trip my sinus's started acting up maybe 4 or 5 days after arriving in Manila . And of course I had brought NyQuil and DayQuil Synex to put the juice to them . After about 5 days they seemed to go away so I quit the meds . After another 4 or 5 days it seemed as if they started again , I kinda think it took that long to get the meds outta my system .

So I started back with the meds a few days before I was scheduled to come back to the USA . I was getting worse before I left and being confined in an aircraft on and off for about 36 hours certainly did not help anything .

Since getting home it's progressed and I took meds again for a couple days . I thought to much of that stuff can't be good so I curtailed the meds and have been draining quite well for the last few days !

But without a doubt this has been the longest it EVER took me to rid myself of a sinus condition .

I suppose being 50+ doesn't help either .
Last edited by 6pt-sika on Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Re: Sinus's

Post by octagon »

6pt I use to get a sinus infection almost every time I got a cold, requiring antibiotics to get around it. When I got married my wife gave me nasal saline spray during a cold and have not had an infection since I started using the spray. Who ever thought getting married could STOP headaches. By the way congrats.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

octagon wrote:6pt I use to get a sinus infection almost every time I got a cold, requiring antibiotics to get around it. When I got married my wife gave me nasal saline spray during a cold and have not had an infection since I started using the spray. Who ever thought getting married could STOP headaches. By the way congrats.

Thank you sir !
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I used to get a sinus infection every winter after catching a cold for years. I went to the Doctor and was told I had nasal polyps. I had them removed about 7 years ago and haven't had an infection since. Plus I'm never congested like I used to be.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

About 4 years ago trying to be Mr. Macho was doing a lot of Mountain bike riding(in winter)didn't matter if it was 10 below.(and that year it was real cold)
Gave myself a sinus infection----then started having a reoccuring issue that would randomly come up when riding/hunting etc. in the real cold weather.

Found a cure(least for myself/wife--------------------1/3 cup apple cider vinegar(in a 16oz water bottle)drank in couple segments through out day.
Never have had a problem since! I drink it now daily(last time to dotor going on 6 years) :wink:
Last edited by madman4570 on Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

madman4570 wrote:About 4 years ago trying to be Mr. Macho was doing a lot of Mountain bike riding(in winter)didn't matter if it was 10 below.
Gave myself a sinus infection----then started having an ongoing issue when riding/hunting etc. in real cold weather.

Found a cure(least for myself/wife--------------------1/3 cup apple cider vinegar(in a 16oz water bottle)drank in couple segments through out day.
Never had problem since!
Strangely it "usually" never effects me during hunting season . Generally I get it when I go from drastically changing temps .

And getting this after going from freezing here in VA to tropical in PI stands to reason .

Also being confined in a pressurized vessel on and off for 36 hours with a bunch of other people probably worsened the issue .

I know on the way home I had a heck of a time popping my ears when we would land or takeoff .
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Your sinuses (which your middle-ear is one of, basically) are all closed chambers connected to your upper nasal passages with tear-duct type tubes (in fact, the tear duct and eyeball-socket are almost another 'sinus' just with the front end open and an eyeball stuck in it). Once you start clogging things up in the system, it all tends to snowball.

Ever time there is a low pressure front moving through (or airplane ride up), the air in the sinuses goes out through those little tubes (if it can, if it can't you get a HUGE sinus headache or earache) to equalize the pressure with 'outside'. Once the front passes or plane descends, the air will be pushed back IN to the sinuses, only this time, with whatever accompanying bacteria, mucus, dust, pollen, and garbage that there is in the nasal passages (which are usually cruddy because they serve as a filter for the air you breathe).

So - every time the weather changes bunches of people get sick.

If possible use a saline spray like Simply Saline VERY frequently when the air pressure starts going down, and if necessary even consider pseudoephedrine (gotta sign for it), if you tolerate it and doc says it's ok for you. Steamy showers help too. If it's real bad a 'decongestant' type spray may be needed, but they're not a good idea to use very often.

If it gets to the point antibiotics are needed, I have found best results with a 2,000 mg dose of Amoxil twice a day for five days. The short duration minimizes build-up of resistance, and any longer is a waste of time if it hasn't done the job in the first few days anyway, at that high a dose. There is a product Augmentin-XR that has the same dose plus another antibiotic with it, but the other antibiotic isn't usually needed, adds lots of stomach upset for some people, and ups the cost quite a bit.

As usual, "ask your personal physician before trying any medical advice, as what's helpful and safe for one person could be harmful or dangerous for another..." :wink:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I went to the doctors office today and a nurse practitioner hooked me up with anti biotics and steroids .

Was a little apprehensive of the steroids at first but the pharmacist told me not to worry they should be fine .
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Lots of classes and types and applications of 'steroids' so don't let the term put you off. Mostly you don't want 'systemic' ones for long periods of time, especially if they are 'synthetic'.

Examples of 'steroids' include cholesterol, estrogen, testosterone, progesterone, vitamin D (sort of), the water pill aldactone (sort of), cortisone, prednisone, dexamethasone, betamethasone, and blood pressure regulating hormone aldosterone. As you can tell, lots of possible effects they share, and some they do the opposite from one another.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

One thing the Doc didn't warn about is that at that dosage, you may have a chance of getting diarrhea. It is a good idea to take a probiotic supplement or eat yogurt with active cultures, but not at the same time as the amoxicillin or the amoxicillin will just kill the good bacteria and keep on going. The steroids, usually Medrol Dosepak or the generic, or prednisone, are ok for short term, but they can cause some unpleasant side effects. High blood sugar, insomnia, rage, agitation, nervousness, and irritability are all very common with steroids, and these aren't even the kind of steroids to give you the heart attack and big muscles.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Piller & me should just open up an on-line pharmacy and medical-advice website... :wink:

awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

piller wrote:The steroids, usually Medrol Dosepak or the generic, or prednisone, are ok for short term, but they can cause some unpleasant side effects. High blood sugar, insomnia, rage, agitation, nervousness, and irritability are all very common with steroids
Interesting. I finished up a round of prednisone late last week for a sinus/cold thing. I thought I was irritable from not feeling good. It might also explain the lingering headache I've had off and on since Thursday or Friday. Goes away for a couple of hours after naproxen sodium or ibuprofen but comes right back.
piller wrote:and these aren't even the kind of steroids to give you the heart attack and big muscles.
Dang. That looks like the final nail in the coffin of my dream to become a major league pitcher...
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

A shot of Penicillin spiked with B-12 along with a prescription of Penicillin pills never failed to work for me with sinus infections, most of the time the fever would be gone before I got home, almost like magic.

Once you have experienced that it's hard to except "take these XYZ pills get lots of rest and if you are not better in a week come back in "

---J
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

I used to have a horrible sinus infection at least once
per year. Just an awful mess, cured with the aforementioned
antibiotics.

Then I bought a neti pot to rinse my sinuses. Problem solved - for
like the last five years. Easy, cheap and very effective.

Keep the pot CLEAN! Add a wee bit of salt and use lukewarm
water. Apparently there's some brain-eating amoeba (a significant
improvement for some folks!) that can live in tap water and
cause death, but I've never had any problems. Or none that
I've noticed...... :lol:

-Stretch
samb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by samb »

6pt underside of my jaw feels like a gorilla took a swing at it thought it was a tooth, wife says its my sinus. Will see what the family doc says in am. Get well soon! It hurts to swallow and we have had a Blizzard roll through two of the last three days.
Sam
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Too bad I can't get AJMD to move to Texas, we could open up a clinic and really help a bunch of people. Or, I could move there, if PillHer would be willing to go.
J35nut wrote:A shot of Penicillin spiked with B-12 along with a prescription of Penicillin pills never failed to work for me with sinus infections, most of the time the fever would be gone before I got home, almost like magic.

Once you have experienced that it's hard to except "take these XYZ pills get lots of rest and if you are not better in a week come back in "

---J
The reason it takes a week and does not work well is that the Doctor is giving you too low of a dose. Read the post where AJMD tells the dose he gives. That is a lot higher than ordinary, it is effective, it avoids bacterial resistance, and stays within the safe range. Not many Doctors or Pharmacists will tell you that. I also see Doctors giving a very low dose of antibiotic for a long time to try to keep infections from coming back in those who have chronic infections. Try killing rats with less than lethal doses of poison for a long time. In a relatively short while, you have rats that can eat the poison for food. Same thing happens with bacteria. They can adapt.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

J35nut wrote:A shot of Penicillin spiked with B-12 along with a prescription of Penicillin pills never failed to work for me with sinus infections, most of the time the fever would be gone before I got home, almost like magic.

I'm allergic to penicillan , tetracycline and all the micen drugs . So they gave me some other stuff and the roids !

Amazingly it seems to be working slowly !

But yesterday we got 12 inches of snow dumped on us and I needed to get the driveway cleaned out so my 76 year old father could get out and ramble as he so seems to like doing . And in the process I got soaked !

When I finished I was all prepared for a nice hot shower and come to find out we lost power !

About 30 minutes after that we got it back and I cooked breakfast . And fiddled around a bit until noon and we lost it again right as I was about to turn the shower on the power went off again . That was noon on wednesday and now it's past noon on thursday and we are still without electricity !

The good thing however is it's about 45 degrees outside and I have one of the fireplaces going for my pop !
roundup
Levergunner 1.0

Post by roundup »

I don't have sinus trouble anymore since I moved to a drier climate than the Willamette Valley. Years ago an old gent I worked with pulling greenchain in a sawmill gave me some good advise at the time. Get a pint of cheap 100 proof whiskey, drink the whole bottle in a short period of time. It wont cure the sinus trouble but you wont give a darn if you have it or not!
Happy Trails!
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

roundup wrote:Years ago an old gent I worked with pulling greenchain in a sawmill gave me some good advise at the time. Get a pint of cheap 100 proof whiskey, drink the whole bottle in a short period of time. It wont cure the sinus trouble but you wont give a darn if you have it or not!
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Presidente Tequila with a liberal dash of pepper, and a shot of desert bee honey.