UPDATED! Getto gun mounting

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

UPDATED! Getto gun mounting

Post by Panzercat »

Now that I have a kid, I can't simply prop the boom stick up behind the bedroom door, yet being in a new house gives me a few more options as well. Hanging the rifle seemed to be the ticket. I could have hit up some outlet and a bought fancy pair of padded brackets for $15-40 dollars...

...Or I could take the couple of no-frills screw in L-shaped wall hooks I had floating around, wrap them in duct tape to pad them, find a couple of wall studs and screw them in above the closet. Which is exactly what I did. Behold, my ghetto lever gun closet hanger project :)

Easily assessable yet out of the reach of small, curious toddlers who put everything in their mouths :D
Last edited by Panzercat on Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Getto gun mounting

Post by Alan Wood »

Looks like a good inexpensive solution there! At least until the toddler can climb.
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

Well, it works for me! 8)
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Alan Wood wrote:Looks like a good inexpensive solution there! At least until the toddler can climb.
They can climb VERY HIGH at a VERY YOUNG age, so you'd best be working on Phase-II already...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Yep, before my daughter could walk completely across the room, she would pull out kitchen drawers and climb them like a ladder to get on the countertop!
NRA Life Member
Bob Hatfield
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bob Hatfield »

Put a board of some sort over it to where it is also hidden from sight would give some extra insurance. A goblin (burglar) roaming around looking for something of value at least the rifle wouldnt catch his eye. He'd have to work for his prize. Plus the toddler wouldnt be staring at the lever action on Awe after watching the Rifleman all morning and then wanting to climb.

Bob
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

Bob Hatfield wrote:Put a board of some sort over it to where it is also hidden from sight would give some extra insurance. A goblin (burglar) roaming around looking for something of value at least the rifle wouldnt catch his eye. He'd have to work for his prize. Plus the toddler wouldnt be staring at the lever action on Awe after watching the Rifleman all morning and then wanting to climb.

Bob
Now you got me thinking of some sliding board setup on a wheeled track just to keep it easily accessible, yet somewhat invisible. Last thing I would want to do is fumble with some free standing particle board balanced on a shelf at 2am in the morning
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

It won't be long until the child can get to that. In Texas there are all sorts of criminal penalties and civil liability if you have a child in the house it it get ahold of a firearm.

Time to invest in some kind of locked storage. There are some cheap metal gun lockers for sale that will be kids out, but not determined thieves. This is the way to go until you can invest in a good gun safe.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Quickest way to kid proof it would be a trigger lock. My Marlin came with one you almost need an engineering degree to use. :roll: Seriously, as soon as the little one is old enough teach them not to touch. Even with two boys, I never had to worry about either touching something they weren't supposed to. The eldest did once, he recieved the punishment, and his younger brother (sometime smarter brother) learn the lesson for free.

Of course today, I'd be hauled off for child abuse. Yea, I abused them so badly they turned out rotten.

Of course I don't think I could employ that punishment anymore. :wink:
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

AJMD429 wrote:
Alan Wood wrote:Looks like a good inexpensive solution there! At least until the toddler can climb.
They can climb VERY HIGH at a VERY YOUNG age, so you'd best be working on Phase-II already...
+1
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
K1500
Levergunner 2.0

Post by K1500 »

AJMD429 wrote:
The above is true. The wall bracket is a very short term solution at best. Look for some sort of a quick locking wall bracket. I believe they make one for a shotgun, but I am not sure about a rifle.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Toddlers: If they can see it, they will play with it.... :wink:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

TedH wrote:Yep, before my daughter could walk completely across the room, she would pull out kitchen drawers and climb them like a ladder to get on the countertop!
Mine did that and also used a chair to get to the shelves and then hung off the shelves while standing on the ones below to reach the candy which she slung over her shoulder to her brother...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

You did well, much fancier that I usually do. I just get a couple of 20 penny nails, cut the head off and slip some old rubber air hose over the nail.---------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

This is an idea I am considering. I need to find out if they lock. I found the website once but cannot find it again. I did find a pic, though.

sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

For easy access I like what you did, but I put them above the closet door.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Re: UPDATED! Getto gun mounting

Post by Panzercat »

So taking the advice from some of the peeps- The budget advice, that is - I went ahead and repositioned the brackets. There isn't any studs or sturdy support above the closet door, so the actual aluminum frame of the closet had to suffice. Drilled through it, screwed the brackets back in and voile. You can see the rifle still dips down, but I positioned the brackets so the remainder of the closet took up the slack visually. Barely visible unless you happen to look directly overhead.

I'm thinking any higher would make it a pain to recover easily.

Now I just have to find a solution for the pistol :)
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Blackhawk Serpa fastened upside down in same location.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

Was thinking kinda that. Got a spare, ultra generic holster I'm thinking of just velcroing to the inside wall. Not sure the adhesive backed vecro will support the weight, however.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Jnik - two fine lads to be proud of no doubt!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Panzercat wrote:Was thinking kinda that. Got a spare, ultra generic holster I'm thinking of just velcroing to the inside wall. Not sure the adhesive backed vecro will support the weight, however.
Theres always something to fasten into at the top of a wall, so even if you hung something from that using cord or strap it should work. I like the Serpa because it has a nice retention feature that would be much less prone to failure than other retention types when upside down. otherwise you could screw the velcro to the wall even if you had to use the sheet rock anchors.
11B30
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

Yep, velco supports the full weight. Can just reach around to the inside of the closet and pull some lead out :)
Can even pull the holster if need be for duty.

It's all nylon (somebody threw it in as a 'bonus' from the last time I purchased a pistol) but it does have a retention clip that straddles the backstrap. Probably should put it up higher as you suggest, but it works as proof of concept for now.
rogn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rogn »

One of my go to's is like SSs. Two hangers above the utility room door, snug against the wall. Nearly invisible, no shelves, nothing to climb(youngest is 32 and ex Ranger), quick to grab. Additional restraints could be put on door to gain time to give appropriate firearms training, I dont think you can start too young.