9422 peep set up?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

9422 peep set up?

Post by Nath »

Being so thrilled with the 94 357 I would like to get `peeped` for the 9422(trapper) also.

Fancy a Williams set but not sure on front sight height!

Any pointers folks?

Thanks.

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Re: 9422 peep set up?

Post by Gobblerforge »

Personally I went the tang sight way. The drawback is that the tang needed to be drilled and tapped on one hole.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Looks neat, the drilling and tapping is not a problem for me.

Does it compromise the hands position whilst shooting?

Does it ever get knocked ?

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

I put a Williams that fits in the grooved receiver on a 9422 I had. I did change the front sight to a Marbles sour dough, but I can't remember if it was taller or if I changed it because of the style. It did shoot very well though. Should never have sold it but the fellow that bought it made a great offer. $625.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
smithrws
Levergunner

Post by smithrws »

I put a Williams 5D on mine, did not change front sight. It is about 2" high at 25 yards at it's lowest position.If I hunted more with it I would get a taller front sight.
Washita
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Washita »

I use Marbles tang sights on all my lever guns; a 1946 Marlin 39A that my dad bought right after the war, a first-year of production 94/22M and a run-of-the-mill Rossi 92. None have required replacing the front sight--the tang sight is much more forgiving of front sight height than a receiver sight. Every receiver sight I've ever had required a taller front sight. With the tang sight, I lay my thumb alongside the stock instead of wrapping it around. took a little while to get used to it, but it's now very natural. I think the increased sight radius of a tang sight could be especially advantageous with the Trapper's short barrel.

Unlike the others, the Marlin didn't have to be D&T'd for the tang sight--it came that way from the factory. Being of 1946 vintage, it took a different sight base than the later ones do. I think it's made for a Ballard.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Skinner Sights ( http://www.skinnersights.com ) has just come out with a clip-on peep sight for grooved receivers.

Any top-mount pep sight will require a front sight higher than issue, due to the new/higher line-of-sight - but Andy @ Skinner can fix you up with a Patridge sight of proper height for $15.

Please don't forget to remove the rear bbl iron/open sight & replace it with a slot filler blank, either commercial or made, so you have a clean sight picture.

A slot filler is easily filed up from the dovetail section of any old longleaf rear bbl sight.

Molasses
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Molasses »

I'm another one that used the Williams receiver sight that fastens onto the scope mounting grooves. It needed a taller front sight, I had the factory original off of one of my Browning B-92s laying around and that's that. Looks a bit odd on the front sight ramp, but it's a good height and provides a nice sight picture...
Molasses
SASS #925 Life
NRA Life
Peter M. Eick
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Peter M. Eick »

I just had mine drilled and tapped and kept the same front sight.
38-55 & 38/44 What a combination!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Dunno about Winchesters, but several of the Rossi 92's I've put Williams FP's on have NOT needed taller front sights. I think it somewhat depends on the individual gun; you could tape-up a temporary 'peep' where you want to install it, and find where your CURRENT line-of-sight hits that paper. If the point is high enough to match the lowest aperture-to-receiver-top distance an FP is capable of (someone here can measure that if you don't already have an FP), you're ok without a new front. If there is even more room than that, even better.

Front sights are so inexpensive it pays to have a few in your parts drawer of different heights and styles, anyway.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "