Wirehaired pointing griffon

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Wirehaired pointing griffon

Post by barbarossa »

I m thinking about buying a wirehaired pointing griffon for birds and rabbits anyone have any experience with one?
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Re: Wirehaired pointing griffon

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Buddy has one, Great Waterfowl and upland dog. Good pet too. Think wire haired pointer that hasn't been ruined by unscrupulous breeders.
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

There are definitely two "strains" one is more wire haired pointer, germanish, the other supposedly sticking to the "pure" genetics. Do your research, you will find what I am trying to say quickly.

Depending on what you are doing with it, there are better breeds out there.
Dewight
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dewight »

I own couple of them. Get one from a reputable breeder. Very smart, easy to train.
Member: Vast Right Wing Conspiracy
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

A Griffon is different than the German Wirehair(ed) Pointer. The Griffon has some strong pointing instinct in a few lines in the U.S. Within those lines there are some that have a strong natural retrieving instinct. Most have a close working pattern of ranging out and back. I'd want a ton of references from the breeder and a field demo of at least one parent and a prodigy. If you find one you like I would be prepared to force break to retrieve or pay to have it done. I put them in the general foot hunting continental category. This includes Spinone, Gordon setters, French Brittanies among others. Most are mediocre hunters but within each breed there are a few that are exceptional. There are a lot of personality quirks among them too. A pointing lab, dratthsar, GSP or GW, or American Brittany could do what you want and come with a much higher success rate as far as train ability and overall performance. However, there's nothing wrong with trying a breed you have interest in. If you require that it must hunt, be prepared to find it a new home if it doesn't do it right. I see a lot of chances taken on this type of dog and the owner ends up with a house pet and no hunter, or two dogs (they didn't anticipate the 2nd). I wish you luck and happiness with whatever dog you decide.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member