Marlin Camp 9 carbine

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Stan in SC
Levergunner 3.0

Marlin Camp 9 carbine

Post by Stan in SC »

I have been on the lookout for one of these for several years that wasn't priced exorbitantly high.
Saturday a week ago outside a gun show I saw a gent trying to sell a couple of guns.He had just arrived as I did and I was the first to speak with him.I bought a Marlin Model 9 carbine commonly known as a camp 9.It has a S&W model 59 magazine of 15 round capacity.
The condition of the rifle was as new and I got a really good deal on it.
I took it to the gun club last Wednesday and I had to drift the front sight a wee bit but then it was right on at 50 and 100 yards.A very good shooting rifle with no malfunctions.
I'd like to find an original Marlin 20 round magazine that was affordable.

Stan in SC
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45-70,it's almost a religion
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Marlin Camp 9 carbine

Post by AJMD429 »

I have one in 45 ACP, and it is nice. More-than-seven-shot magazines kind of protrude strangely, but the gun has been reliable.

Check the 'buffer' plastic insert in the rear of the receiver - I understand they crack but aftermarket ones are available for a few bucks and work better than the originals. Also when you assemble the gun, the feed-ramp can actually slip under the barrel instead of behind the chamber; doesn't work too well when you put it together wrong... :oops:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I looked around for a 45 for a while when they first came out. Couldn't find one so I settled on a 9mm. It shot ok, but had a horrible trigger. Turned out it really wasn't my cup of tea, and got traded off for something else. Still would like to have one in 45, but I still haven't come across one since then!
NRA Life Member
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Suppressing fire is GOOD 8) Those Hi-Point .45 Carbines seem to be real popular....If you could find one...
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

I bought both when the came out. I sold the 45 and doubled My money (wish I hadn't), still have the 9mm, It's one of My combo Guns.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

I like pie.

But perhaps more to the point I can't help you with finding that magazine (I tried a few of my better places on the web and found nothing). They ARE available on Gun Broker, but you will pay whatever freight the national stupidity drives. :?

Sorry, wish I could be of more help.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Stan in SC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Stan in SC »

After quite a bit of on-line research I have concluded that the S&W model 59 magazines which hold 15 rounds are to be had relatively cheap.It is not worth the other 5 rounds to attempt to obtain a Marlin 20 round magazine.
MecGar makes a 15 round magazine for the S&W 59 which my local guy will sell to me for his cost since I do a lot of business with him.I picked up one today which he ordered for me last week.
All of the comments are greatly appreciated.Your collective opinions mean a lot to me.Thanks.

Stan in SC

canonsix
Levergunner 2.0

Post by canonsix »

MecGar also builds a 20 rounder for the S&W 59.I use them in my Kel Tec S2K.Never have known therm to be a problem.Doug
a armed man is his own master
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

canonsix wrote:MecGar also builds a 20 rounder for the S&W 59.I use them in my Kel Tec S2K.Never have known therm to be a problem.Doug
I thought surely someone makes an extended high-capacity magazine for the 59... I guess they do...!
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

TedH wrote:I looked around for a 45 for a while when they first came out. Couldn't find one so I settled on a 9mm. It shot ok, but had a horrible trigger. Turned out it really wasn't my cup of tea, and got traded off for something else. Still would like to have one in 45, but I still haven't come across one since then!
How much improvement would a Marlin 45 ACP camp carbine with a lousy triger be over a 9mm with a lousy trigger? Mine is a 9mm. I accept it for what it is. Fun and a handy house gun for my wife. Lousy trigger or not it will still shoot minute of bandito across a bedroom.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

BAGTIC wrote:How much improvement would a Marlin 45 ACP camp carbine with a lousy triger be over a 9mm with a lousy trigger? Mine is a 9mm. I accept it for what it is. Fun and a handy house gun for my wife. Lousy trigger or not it will still shoot minute of bandito across a bedroom.
By my calculation it would be about 2.4mm of "improvement"...

:wink:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I have the .45 ACP model.
That one will be taken from my deatrh bed.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Mescalero wrote:I have the .45 ACP model.
That one will be taken from my deatrh bed.
"But they're so UGLY...!!!" :roll:

Kind of like my Ruger 96 levergun(s); practical, definitely not 'classics' or 'works of art', but I'm sure that the naysayers said the same thing in 1911 about Colt's new pistol.

TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

BAGTIC wrote:
TedH wrote:I looked around for a 45 for a while when they first came out. Couldn't find one so I settled on a 9mm. It shot ok, but had a horrible trigger. Turned out it really wasn't my cup of tea, and got traded off for something else. Still would like to have one in 45, but I still haven't come across one since then!
How much improvement would a Marlin 45 ACP camp carbine with a lousy triger be over a 9mm with a lousy trigger? Mine is a 9mm. I accept it for what it is. Fun and a handy house gun for my wife. Lousy trigger or not it will still shoot minute of bandito across a bedroom.

I like 45's, what can I say?
NRA Life Member
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Thats a good snag Ted, and a smart one too. The Marlin C.C is a very underrated gun. They are reliable and indestructable. I have no idea why they did not take off, but checking the prices lately, I expect a resurrection.

Yea, I blew it...could have had a .45 for $399 last summer and let it float by.---------------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

:P
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Sixgun wrote:Thats a good snag Ted, and a smart one too. The Marlin C.C is a very underrated gun. They are reliable and indestructable. I have no idea why they did not take off...
Are they heavy? Many mass delayed blowback carbines fail on that level. You get to looking at them, realize how much heavier than an M1 carbine or a lever gun they are, and suddenly it all seems kind of silly. I got rid of my Ruger PC40 carbine for that reason and replaced it with a Just Right Carbine in .40 S&W.
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

No, they are not heavy, I equate mine to shooting my Ruger 10-22, as far as I can tell no recoil.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I once had an urge to own a Thompson M1 to compliment my GI model 1911. So I bought one.

It was big and heavy. Somewhat fun to shoot, but other than that, I didn't like it.

But I still wanted a .45ACP carbine.

I came across the Camp .45. It weighs maybe half (maybe less than half) of what the Thompson does and also throws .45ACP like nobody's business. I didn't think twice. I sold the Thompson and bought the Camp .45.

The Camp .45 can't hold a 30 round magazine, but it's easy to handle and I enjoy using it.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

FWiedner wrote:I once had an urge to own a Thompson M1 to compliment my GI model 1911. So I bought one.

It was big and heavy. Somewhat fun to shoot, but other than that, I didn't like it.

But I still wanted a .45ACP carbine.

I came across the Camp .45. It weighs maybe half (maybe less than half) of what the Thompson does and also throws .45ACP like nobody's business. I didn't think twice. I sold the Thompson and bought the Camp .45.

The Camp .45 can't hold a 30 round magazine, but it's easy to handle and I enjoy using it.

I had the same experience, and was looking also at an Uzi semiauto, but the cost was pretty high.

I wound up getting a Marlin Camp-45 and a Calico 9mm instead of a Thompson-45 and Uzi 9mm, and had enough left over (this was before having four kids to feed and educate) to get a second Calico 9mm rifle in addition to the 'pistol' version. Someday I'd like to get the Calico barrel(s) threaded for a .357 Mystic suppressor, but I may have to sell one of the Calicos to fund the project to the other. The Thompson and Uzi would have had a huge 'cool' factor, but were heavier and bulkier, and really less practical.
Last edited by AJMD429 on Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I have some 11 round mags for mine.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Mescalero wrote:No, they are not heavy, I equate mine to shooting my Ruger 10-22, as far as I can tell no recoil.
Interesting. I need to keep an eye out for one.
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
Arminius
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Arminius »

I have one; the 9 mm variant.

It´s the better choice.

As much as I like the .45, in the longer barreled Camp the 9 is just fine.

Whereas the 45 doesn´t gain speed, even may lose a little with some loads, the 9 mm gets speedier.

Around the Energy of a .357 form 4 to 6" barrel, according to my Chrony results.

The flat fitting mag is 12 rds.

S & W SS 15 rounders work fine.

I use several MecGar´s 20´s. PURE JOY!

( but don´t ever hold the gun by the mag!!! Instant jams, even with FMJ´s are possible )

Try to get the chromed MecGars:

Less chance of rust, and somehow they feel more "substantial", like "thicker" material. Well worth the + $ 3.

Get the buffer and any spare part you think you want!! NOW!

Hermann
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

W-W 45ACP 230gr white box only picks up about 75fps in a 18" barrel. CCI Blazer was about the same but had a louder muzzle blast. R-P 9mm 115gr HP's clocked 1350fps out off a 16" barrel. W-W 147gr "clean primer ammo" picked up 100fps. Both loads from 16" barrel seemed louder than a 357 Mag from a handgun.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

It's well known that .45ACP reaches max velocity at 10"-12" inches of barrel. The rest of the legally required 16" barrel is just in the way. Military Thompsons have 10" barrels.

Still, the .45 is a much better defense round than the 9mm if for no other reason that that bigger holes bleed more.

:wink:

Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I bought one in .45 for my wife several years ago and she hated it so I got rid of it. One thing that comes to mind IIRC is that it's a straight blowback, thus it's not the gun you want to use to work up hot handloads with.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

One sold the other day on Gunbroker for over $1400 dollars :o
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

:shock: 8)
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

$300and change for mine new in box, many winters ago.
crushtheogre
Levergunner

Post by crushtheogre »

LG Outdoors has them for $21. great deal, great company.

http://www.lg-outdoors.com/
Glenn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Glenn »

Anyone need a stock for a camp carbine? I have one laying around in good condition.
Glenn
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

No, but that was one of the most under-appreciated firearms of its time.

I have one in 45 ACP, and I keep thinking what fun it would be to get a 'drum magazine' for it... :twisted:

Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I agree with Doc.
Under appreciated indeed, glad I have one.
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Do find yourself a replacement buffer, even if yours is not broken. They break, and I think it is more related to aging of the plastic they used than wear.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I've wanted a .45 version for years, but the price is just ridiculous.

Last year I came across a Just Right Carbine in 9mm (uses any 9mm Glock magazine) and LOVE it. Surprisingly accurate. And I just happen to have a few :lol: Glock 9mm mags....

I'm tempted to buy a JRC in .45 acp but am torn between the Glock or 1911 magazine well.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

What is a just right carbine?
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Well, Google is my friend.
I looked up Just Right Carbine.
I thought it was a little pricey, but considering how much I like my .45 Camp Carbine; and what I think it does for me.
I would buy one of those, if I did not have the Marlin.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Made in New York. I think MSRP is about $800, but you can get them cheaper (now) . During the panic I saw people asking $1500 and actually getting $1200 for them.

http://www.justrightcarbines.com/

My biggest gripe about it is there is no last-shot hold open on the bolt.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Oh look... another Armalite knock-off... :lol:

I guess it's a very popular architecture. I wonder if it's just what folks are familiar with, or if it's a case of not fixing what ain't broke.

I've got a Camp 45, but I could be convinced to buy another carbine. In .45ACP of course.

I know that I'd like to handle one, just to 'see' it.

Having a 'back-up' is SOP in my business (Information Technology).

vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

FWiedner wrote:Oh look... another Armalite knock-off... :lol:

I guess it's a very popular architecture. I wonder if it's just what folks are familiar with, or if it's a case of not fixing what ain't broke.

I've got a Camp 45, but I could be convinced to buy another carbine. In .45ACP of course.

I know that I'd like to handle one, just to 'see' it.

Having a 'back-up' is SOP in my business (Information Technology).

It's Armalite in shape, maybe. About the only parts in common are the pistol grip and stock. Maybe the safety. And I've seen an Armalite that used Glock magazine, which was my #1 priority in a 9mm carbine. (I passed on a Kel Tec sub 2000...too rickety)
At the prices Marlin Camp rifles are bring now, I was happy with the price I paid for the JRC.

Back when the Camp rifles were readily available, I never got a 9mm version because I never was a big fan of the S&W semi-autos at the time.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Don't get me wrong, Vance.

I like the AR form. Grew up with it. Used it in the service. Own several to this day. I'm just musing that everything these days seems to look like an AR. I'd guess it's the utility of being able to use one lower for several uppers.

It aint a bad thing, but it's like trying to tell one dog from another in a litter of lab pups in a dark room.

I looked for a .45ACP carbine for a long time before I snagged the Marlin., so I know that the ones worth having and keeping are few and far between. As I mentioned, I like the idea of having two of everything, but I don't want to spend $800 or more just to discover that I want something else. BTDT. :oops: :lol:

If you've taken one in, maybe they're not just mutts.

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Interesting discussion.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

FWiedner wrote:Don't get me wrong, Vance.

I like the AR form. Grew up with it. Used it in the service. Own several to this day. I'm just musing that everything these days seems to look like an AR. I'd guess it's the utility of being able to use one lower for several uppers.
I wasn't upset or arguing with you Fred...It "looks" like an AR but that's about it. There is no upper/lower. It would be great it there was and then you could swap the uppers to go to .40 or .45. I think the stock, grip, and buffer tube are about the only true AR parts. Unless you could the flash hider. To change calibers on these you have to change the barrel, the bolt, and maybe the mag well.

I wouldn't have cared what it looked like, as long as it used Glock magazines.

The neat thing about them is the bolt handle and ejection can be swapped from side to side, depending on your preference.
You can pick them up on GB for under $700 nowadays. I've seen .40 version go for under $600.

A lot of people will say the pistol caliber carbine is old news and ARs (5.56 or 7.62 or other) are the way to go, but I say it depends on what you want. I have an AR and love it, but I also love this little carbine that uses my Glock magazines...and I have more than a few of those. It will use any mag from 10 to 33 round capacity.

I'll let you shoot it someday. we're not too far apart.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Cool----- I like the concept, i had a Ruger PC-9 that i sold in a fit of stupidity ---- it was the same concept as the Marlin, but uglier

Handy little carbine for sure
----- Doug
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Streetstar,
Thanks,
could not remember the name of the Ruger to save my posterior
Police Carbine.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Pisgah wrote:Do find yourself a replacement buffer, even if yours is not broken. They break, and I think it is more related to aging of the plastic they used than wear.
Yep.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/692206 ... rbine-9-45

I also like the Choate stocks.

http://www.yankeegunnuts.com/2011/02/06 ... on-part-2/

Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Thanks for the heads up on the buffer.
Stan in SC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Stan in SC »

I was not overly impressed with the carbine which started this thread. I bought two Hi Point 9mm carbines also last year.
They shoot just as good as the Marlin. Fella came along and offered me double what I paid for the Marlin. It's gone.
I like a lever gun much better.

Stan in SC

Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I was not impressed with the 9mm either.
The .45 is another story.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

There's also a company that makes a kit to turn a 1911 frame into a carbine.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.