The Ultimate 30-30

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

The Ultimate 30-30

Post by Old Savage »

That is what I am looking to put together and I have parts. But until I can, I want hear your view.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: The Ultimate 30-30

Post by Blaine »

Older 336, or 94. Already a proven, and accurate rifle. Scoped with quality glass. Reamed to 30wcf AI. Loaded with two premium 130 ish pointy bullets fired very, very fast.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I like the 125 Gr.hollow point flat points, they really do open up!
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

I have some 94s in 30-30 but maybe for the ultimate 30-30 I would be thinking bout a 99
in a AI with a 4x leupold scope & 22 in. bbl

ollogger
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

Old Savage, why don't you ask a harder question? :wink: I don't even know where to begin on the perfect 30-30, and what I think is perfect you may absolutely hate. I like both Marlins and Winchesters. If being scoped I'd definitely go Marlin because of the side eject. I like the slimmer look and the balance of the 94. If sticking with iron sights I'd probably go with a 94. With either I'd go with the shortest possible barrel length because, well, I just like short rifles. I don't shoot out past 200 yards or so, so a 24" barrel does me no real good. I would also consider having the gun chambered to .30-30 AI.

Scoped rifle - Marlin 336 with an XS lever rail and ghost ring sight, and quick detach rings for the scope. That way you have the best of both worlds. Scope or irons whenever you choose. 16"-18" barrel, Ackley Improved chamber. I would go with stainless steel also, but that's not a significant factor.

Iron sighted rifle - Winchester 94, 20" inch barrel or trapper length (I prefer Trapper length). Ackley Improved chamber, and aperture sight of your choice (XS, Skinner, Lyman, Williams, etc.).

Those are my configurations for a gun that I would carry pretty often. For a range toy or occasional woods bumming gun I could accept a longer barrel, and even an octagonal one at that. Purely for aesthetics. I've been searching for the perfect gun all my life. If I ever found it, I might not have so many
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

The ultimate 30-30? They were making them back when we were kids, OS: Winchester 64 (if your a Winchester person) and the Marlin 336A (if you're a Marlin man). 24" bbl, 3/4 magazine. With a nice receiver site and maybe a small ivory bead front. Standard chambering 'cause it's the ultimate cast bullet platform and if you need extra jacketed bullet performance Hodgdon's LVR powder will give you velocities awful close to what you'd get from an AI.

They don't come better than that, IMHO.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I agree with shooter. Marlin in a sort of practical 'scout' configuration sight-wise, with maybe a single-point sling or 'saddle-ring'.

However, one other take on it would be something like the Marlin XLR, all finely tuned-up and accurized. I've heard folks claim to get half-inch groups at 100 yards with them once they developed a load (but of course I know a few guys who claim that with 70-year-old leverguns, as well).

It is sort of hard to improve on any of the major brands of .30-30 levergun, though; kind of like 'improving' a 1911 Government Model. The only improvement I think was cool was the double-stack magazine and frame to fit that. I suppose shaping a 'rail' into the front of the frame would be cool for those who want a light there (lasers are too easy to put in the grip or recoil-rod for me to want to bulk the gun up there).
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

To be clear - we are talking 30-30 not AI or any other wildcat.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Old Savage wrote:To be clear - we are talking 30-30 not AI or any other wildcat.
Then besides whatever sights you like, there is not much to improve on. I will always shoot 170 grain Cheap Ones...they work on everything, and are very cheap and accurate. The 336 and the '94 both love them.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

win model 55 or 64 in 30wcf, for cast bullets with a bolt peep nice handling hunters gun. danny
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

Old Savage wrote:To be clear - we are talking 30-30 not AI or any other wildcat.
In that case, I retract the AI part of my scenario.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

My idea of the perfect .30-30 is a Winchester 1894 Sporting Rifle about a hundred years old, 24" octagon barrel, full length magazine, semi-pistol grip buttstock with a crescent buttplate. :mrgreen: Tang peep sight would be nice, but not necessary.
Have you hugged your rifle today?
arjunky
Levergunner 3.0

Post by arjunky »

The one I haven't found yet. That's why there is a dozen others. :lol:

Byron
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Model 94 with pistol grip and a 26" half octagonal barrel and short magazine, plus a receiver sight, but one of the vintage models that will take a nice blue and look good. Have the lever and hammer case colored.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Nice one Ji - what is the story?

1894c

Post by 1894c »

my simple answeris as follows---the ultimate 30-30 is the one i'm hunting with... :)
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Go back to the old "saddle ring carbine" configuration. And rechamber it fot the .356WCF. 8)
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Ji has pretty much got the traditional 30-30 covered.

Check out the link if your looking more in the self defense mode- http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2010/1 ... lin-1895g/
I know, that one is the 1895 guide gun in a 45-70 but I am sure it could be done in 30-30 as well.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I like the 2/3 mag, shotgun but stock, ladder rear sights, thin blade front sight, metal plate on butt stock, fluted stock. 1920's vintage. All in the model 94 winchester style with nice wood. I have been fondling mine every night since it arrived from victor. Once out of the gun cabinet and fondling is over, a wipe down and then I take it to bed, resting it near the head of the bead between nightstand and bed, mag loaded. In the morning it goes back in the cabinet. Oh did I mention my 30-30 is a 32 special? :lol: :wink:
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

For me the 336 XLR hits it pretty much right on the head.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

ollogger wrote:I have some 94s in 30-30 but maybe for the ultimate 30-30 I would be thinking bout a 99
in a AI with a 4x leupold scope & 22 in. bbl

ollogger
+1 on the Savage 99 in regards to using pointed bullets. I did have at one point a 1899 CD (not 99) that came with a rare 26" barrel. I was pushing Hornadys 110 grain spire pointed bullet with ease well over 3000 f.p.s. I think the powders I used was IMR 3031 or H335 can't remember but I know one day with that same load I was easily hitting targets out to 500 yards and accuracy at 100 yards was less than an 1".

Mainehunter :wink:
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Friends Call Me Ji wrote:Image
Looks pretty much like what you want to me :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Rusty Wrote;"For me the 336 XLR hits it pretty much right on the head." I agree totally,the XLR is setup the same as the Winchester model 64 with the bonus of ease of mounting a scope.
TomF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TomF »

There are 2 ultimate 30-30s. The Marlin 336CB and a Winchester top eject trapper.

TomF
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Just a plain vanilla 94 or 336, 20 in bbl. with sling swivels and a quality receiver sight. Come to think of it, I have a 94 like that. If you'd let me I'd AI it too.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Then it becomes a 30-35 or something like that - how much will BP will an AI hold?

w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

OS,
The standard .30-30 case holds 43 grs of black to a level of 1/2 way up the neck which allows the bullet to be seated, compressing the powder. The AI would probably hold a few grains more.

I think that your 1894-1994 Centennial Rifle is just about the ultimate 30-30 :D

w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

w30wcf - thanks for the clarification and I agree with you. It is a wonderful rifle.

I have a lot of affection for this one too.

I shot it without the scope until astigmatism started giving me 10" "groups".

This was the first one I bought - 3/14/90

Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

My idea of the perfect 30-30 is a Winchester 94, high grade wood, checkered, shotgun butt, straight grip, 20 or 22" round barrel rifle, rifle fore end cap and magazine ring, full magazine, small front ramp like the early extra light rifles with a sourdough blade, Lyman No 56 receiver sight, color case hardened hammer and lever. I wouldnt mind at all having it in an angle eject with no crossbolt, standard half cock lock, with a Leupold 1-4x scope and folding barrel sight. If not, then an earlier action, pre-64 or pre war with the Lyman rear. I'd consider an earlier action if some very small scope bases could be made (not a rail or weaver type base) for something like Ruger rings for a forward mounted scope. The small bases being cleaner looking and more discrete when the scope is off.

May be nice to start with a high grade custom barrel, of hand lapped quality, profiled and marked with original type early markings by Mike Hunter, and perhaps tang markings if it didnt have them.
Last edited by Malamute on Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Probably the question should be the ultimate four 30-30s.

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

1979 Winchester mdl 94, 26" Numrich bull barrel, .850 across the flats from muzzle to receiver, custom tang sight, custom front sight, CCH'd receiver, & lower tang, extra fancy french walnut stock, .30-30 chambering. Best group? ¾" @ 100 yards with Sierra 150 grain bullets in Federal cases, 27.5 grains of Reloder 7, powered by WLR Winchester primers.

Longest kill, 8 pt whitetail buck @ 238 yards in south Texas. Longest group? 6" @ 400 yards. I've won several SASS long range matches with it; even qualified with it during sniper school with the Sheriff's Office, little over 1" @ 200 yards. For me, the ultimate .30-30.

What do I win?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Old Savage wrote:w30wcf - thanks for the clarification and I agree with you. It is a wonderful rifle.

By golly, go back to my recommendation and you just about have it there! Loose the cross bolt safety (I bear it no grudge other than aesthetics), color case some parts, add a shotgun butt plate and you'd have my idea of a perfect .30-30 rifle. But it's VERY nice as is.

Now here's the sacrilege: I LIKE the AE modification! I like the way it adds nice scope mounting points and I like the fact that it throws brass to the right. I don't like tang safeties because I think that's where some nice script or a tang sight should go, but I'll take an AE just fine, thank you.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

There are several in the safe. The perfect one is a 1951 standard 94 30-30 that I bought in a pawn shop in San Francisco on my way to Fort Ord for advanced AIT in 1958. Sent it home to my dad who had a Marbles Tang sight mounted on it. He killed a nice buck with it that fall. I got it back when he died at 53 in 1962. It still kills deer quite well.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Griff - you win ...... drum roll please ..... a free dinner with me :D :D :D here.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

may be a 25-35 :D AE with tang safety.

olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Very nice.
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
pshort
Levergunner 3.0

Post by pshort »

Howdy,
my .02..........
Not claiming perfection, but I recently picked up a MiniSharps and a somewhat larger Rolling Block, both .30-30 and new...
I've fired them both, but it's too cold around here for now to wring them out.....
Both seem like nice rifles.....

Paul
"Pain plants the flag of reality in the
fortress of a rebel soul"
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Old Savage wrote:Griff - you win ...... drum roll please ..... a free dinner with me :D :D :D here.
Can't... CA outlawed my truck. Maybe we can meet in Vegas?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Meeteetse
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Meeteetse »

Griff wrote:
Old Savage wrote:Griff - you win ...... drum roll please ..... a free dinner with me :D :D :D here.
Can't... CA outlawed my truck. Maybe we can meet in Vegas?

You probably can't do that either. I think CA outlawed Nevada. . . . . . . :lol:
All it takes for tyranny to succeed is for good men to do nothing.

Previous member of Mr. Kelly's forum.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Mainehunter wrote: I did have at one point a 1899 CD (not 99) that came with a rare 26" barrel. I was pushing Hornadys 110 grain spire pointed bullet with ease well over 3000 f.p.s. ... I was easily hitting targets out to 500 yards and accuracy at 100 yards was less than an 1".Mainehunter
Your description is not of a rifle that I would talk about in the past tense. There is no way that I could let one like that get away.
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Too me the perfect .30-30 has nothing to do with fit or finish. The gun may be beat up, or painted or parkerized. Don't need or maybe even want pretty. It's 100% feel.

I keep tellin myself I don't need or want a scope, that a Williams is fine. But when it comes to being honest with myself I have trouble using long guns without scopes in the field. I could blame my eyes but that's not it.

The closest I've had was a Mid 70's Trapper with a Williams on it. Never should of let it go but the rotten receiver got to me. I should of just covered it. Been lookin to replace it lately and the closest to perfect would be a Marauder with a Win 94 forend, drilled for sidemount Williams. If I could build one outta an old square bolt it would make me feel better about it being a Marlin instead of a Winchester.

16", receiver sight, straight stock, scope added as needed.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

My ultimate 30-30 is going to be a 336/Glenfield/whatever half mag pistol grip with a 3x9. I'm still waiting to find one for $200 (with or without scope) with a good bore. Load it up with some Hornady gummy tipped bullets and magic powder.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30