Best target for iron sights?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Best target for iron sights?

Post by TedH »

What is the best type of target you use for shooting an iron sight rifle at 100 yards trying to find your most accurate load? Not a peep sight, just regular irons.
NRA Life Member
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Best target for iron sights?

Post by Tycer »

Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Whenever possible, if I'm testing a 'load' or 'gun', rather than setting up a proven load/gun to see what works best afield for me, I find a way to add my 36x BSA scope (cheap and adjustments don't work right, but high-magnification and lack of adjustments doesn't stop me from shooting a 'group'), even if it has to be a temporary mount like the B-Square one. That way I know for sure that the only reason for a miss is a bad load or inaccurate gun. No matter how accurate the gun and load, since my old eyes cannot see a baseball at 100 yards, or other 4" target, how can I expect to shoot groups under 4"...???)

However, once I get the 'load' issue settled, and am sure the gun is accurate, of course many times I go back to an iron or peep configuration if that's what I'll actually go afield with.

Anyway, as to your original question, if there is no option to temporarily affix a high-magnification scope, I find that the easiest target I actually CAN see will be something painted 'hazard orange' that is against a dark background. I'll just spray spots on old cardboard boxes, or sometimes re-fresh the paint on my 16" gong, and aim at the 'center'. The black spots where the paint chips off mark my hits well enough to see through a spotting scope (or another gun with a scope on it).

I have gongs at 100 yards that are 16", 12", 8", and 4", so once sighted in, I can aim at the fluorescent-orange gong appropriate for the gun/cartridge, and will quickly see/hear if I'm shooting at that level of accuracy. If I can hit the 4" gong most of the time and the 8" one nearly all the time, I know I've got a hunting setup that will be more than enough for my skill level.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Tycer wrote:the 100 yard black one http://postalcontest.com/index.php?c=targets
+1 that is the easiest one to see especialy when using buck horn or v notch sights.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

15" steel gong... or the 3' steel buffalo freshly painted brown. Lead smears are easily seen thru the spotting scope. I generally only use the "running bear" or the two buffalo @ 200yards or more.

Doc... "brown" because I've never encountered any "flourescent orange" wildlife afield! :o :P :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The ring of steel by lead is VERY satisfying!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Griff wrote:Doc... "brown" because I've never encountered any "flourescent orange" wildlife afield! :o :P :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Well, what if you live next door to a penitentary, and the inmates in their orange-jumpsuits escape... :o
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
blackhawk44
Levergunner 2.0

Post by blackhawk44 »

I've had good luck with a self-printed (or drawn with a wide marker and ruler) inverted " T ". I make the horizontal bar about 8" long by about 2" wide with the vertical bar at least 6" long, also 2" wide. This somewhat odd choice maintains positive definition of both elevation and windage. Also works well for low powered scopes and closer range open sighted handguns.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

I use a 12" gong at 100yards, works for me, best with a bead front sight though.
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

I fail to understand how anybody could sight in a rifle or fire a group shooting at a 12 inch gong, or a gong of any size. It you hit a 12" gong, you could still be 10 inches off point of aim, that is mega error in sight adjustment.

I have always used a regular round black bull paper target. The size depend on your eyes and needs. Use the smallest you can see will at the distance you choose.

I balance the bull on the top of the front sight, with the smallest possible sliver of white between the top of the front sight and the bottom of the bull. You can adjust the sights to hit anywhere on the bull you want. On a levergun with open sights, I like the group to be just over the top of the front sight.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

I battle with this issue also, if i`m only looking for hunting accuracy a steel 8 in gong is good enough.
But if i want to try and make a decent group what i`m looking at seems to make a big difference. Also the light conditions effect things alot, bright sunlight from behind me makes me shoot all over the place with the 76 for some reason.
I generally draw a black circle with a marker, size depends on the distance.
I`ve also had good luch with a T design as blackhawk44 said.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Deleted
Last edited by COSteve on Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Standard NRA SR-1 is about as good as any.
Steelplates are good, a ton of fun, but don't really show you group size, and don't give you anything to keep for record later on.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Charles wrote:I fail to understand how anybody could sight in a rifle or fire a group shooting at a 12 inch gong, or a gong of any size. It you hit a 12" gong, you could still be 10 inches off point of aim, that is mega error in sight adjustment.

I have always used a regular round black bull paper target. The size depend on your eyes and needs. Use the smallest you can see will at the distance you choose.

I balance the bull on the top of the front sight, with the smallest possible sliver of white between the top of the front sight and the bottom of the bull. You can adjust the sights to hit anywhere on the bull you want. On a levergun with open sights, I like the group to be just over the top of the front sight.
Hold the bead right in the middle of the gong, and check for group size, group cannot be more than 6" from POA. If it groups well adjust sights so shots hit centre of gong :D
As I said, it works for me :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I made up my own version of the inverted T target. Will try it out this weekend along with a black circle and see which works out better.
NRA Life Member
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

What Charles said +1. :wink:
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Paper plates :mrgreen:
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

The inverted T is excellent. Easy to make your own on the computer, just print a "T" and invert... Works ok for scope as well. I don't really like it for peep and post, black round bull works better for me.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

For testing accuracy at 100 yards--------------black 4" sq. on white paper with a flattop front sight........6 oclock hold

200 meters----same but 8" square-------------------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Borregos wrote:
Charles wrote:I fail to understand how anybody could sight in a rifle or fire a group shooting at a 12 inch gong, or a gong of any size. It you hit a 12" gong, you could still be 10 inches off point of aim, that is mega error in sight adjustment.

Hold the bead right in the middle of the gong, and check for group size, group cannot be more than 6" from POA. If it groups well adjust sights so shots hit centre of gong :D
As I said, it works for me :D
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Griff,
On the gong shooting.........yea it works....if you don't mind running down and repainting it every five shots.------------------------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Sixgun wrote:For testing accuracy at 100 yards--------------black 4" sq. on white paper with a flattop front sight........6 oclock hold

200 meters----same but 8" square-------------------6
That's exactly what I started off with last weekend. Going to try the inverted T and 4" circle this weekend. Interested to see if there is a difference in group size with the same load on the different targets.
NRA Life Member
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Sixgun wrote:Griff,
On the gong shooting.........yea it works....if you don't mind running down and repainting it every five shots.------------------------6
Sixgun, it is good exercise, unless I get the golf cart out :lol: :lol:
Pete
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

At one time I competed in a lot of "Hog Shoots" and "Turkey Shoots" with open sighted 22. I shot a couple of 74 Winchesters that I opened the rear sight to a U and a patridge front. You are allowed any type white cut-out marker on a black shingle. An X made with your pocket knife is the bullet target but you can make your own cut-out. I always used a square, sized to be the width of my front sight and pinned it to my shingle so the placement would let me at least try to cut the X.

The black shingle came from charring it in the fire back when. Range was 50 yards or so and almost everyone shot prone, rested on a log used to mark the firing line. The guy holding the shoot would bring a couple of hogs, kill, scald, scrape, gut and quarter them right there. Sometimes a goat and some turkeys or geese too. You paid your money and took your shot. Once I won 1 3/4 hogs. Had to make brine and soak my bacon and hams before smoking but I had my winters meat.

So I was actually aiming at a black square, sized (about 2 1/2 inches) to be the same width of my front sight at 50 yards. The flat topped front sight allows very accurate vertical alignment.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS