Guns that mean the most to you?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bridger
Levergunner 3.0

Guns that mean the most to you?

Post by Bridger »

As I was looking at my gun rack this morning, I got to thinking about a few of the guns I have that will never be for sale at any price because the memories attached to them. The first is a single shot NEF .410 I got in the 7th grade after saving for a long time. I carried it on many squirrel hunts after school and I could never bear to part with it. The other two are a Browning BPS 20 ga and a BL22. My dad bought both of these for me (actually where he was working at the time had a sweet points system so he was able to save points and get them both for free) when I was really to young to even shoot them and because they came from him with love no amount of money will ever be able to get them from me.

What guns do yall have that are absolutely not for sale? I hope this turns into an interesting thread.
"The best argument against democracy
is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

- Winston Churchill
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Re: Guns that mean the most to you?

Post by KirkD »

The Crown Jewel of my collection is my high condition Winchester Model 1873 44-40. I ain't parting with that so far as I am able. Having said that, if things hit the fan, and I could only save one gun to survive with, it would be 'Old Savage', my 30-30 carbine. Here are photos of the two ...

My Winchester 1873 made in 1889 44-40 ...

'Old Savage' 30-30 ..

Last edited by KirkD on Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Hmmmm ,

I have a Remington 722 in 222 REM that my maternal grandfather bought new in 1958 . A W&C Scott 10 gauge my same grandafther acquired in 1950 or so . As well as a Winchester Model 1890 pump in 22 Short my grandfather and his brother bought new in 1920 or so .Also have a pair of M1 Carbines my father and grandfather got from the NRA in 1962 have the paperwork and everything .Also a Colt Scout 22 Buntline Special my grandfather ordered new when I was born in 1961 and finally recieved from the dealer in 1962 .

And finally I have a sporterized mannlicher stocked 98 Mauser my fathers had since the mid 50's .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Com'n guys, y'all know Image

My Shiloh Sharp's 1874 Long Range Express. A gift from my wife.

Then there's my custom built 94 rifle... a gift from me.

Then there's... ah, the list is just too lengthy.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

First and foremost is my dad's Parker. Collectors view it with horror due to the birdseye maple stock he made, but I'm very attached to it.

Aside from that I'm not sure I really prioritize them. I've sold some I didn't much like, but most I plan to keep as long as I can. I've not yet sold a gun that I regretted parting with, and count myself as fortunate there. Kind of a tossup are things like a Remington model 11 with no buttstock that I've been trying to trade lately. I have the feeling that if I fixed it up it would be a keeper, so if I ever trade it I think I may regret that.

If the market for scary looking battle rifles gets too tempting I may sell mine, but I would never do so absent an outside influence like a SA ban or a crazy stupid resale market fearing a gun ban. I figure we'll know the answer to that one pretty soon. I think I'd only part with them if I could get some really good Winchester levers to replace them. Market isn't there yet for what I have.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

There's a few, probably an 1886 in .33 that I killed a truckload of deer with. But on the other hand, they are just inanimate objects. So............come up with the bucks and the .33 is yours.--------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Removed
Last edited by cshold on Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

Pretty much all of the guns I own would be hard to part with. Maybe I have a "hoarder" mentality when it comes to my firearms, but I develop an emotional attachment to almost every one of them. Most of mine were either bought from a family member, given to me by a family member, or left to me upon a family member's passing. Of the several guns I've bought from a non family source, I have done so because I really liked the gun and wanted it to fulfill a specific purpose. Bottom line: I ain't giving any of them up if I can help it :D
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

I got a couple that will never leave under any circumstances.
My Trapdoor belonged to grandad and he bought it from a man who used it as a hunter providing meat for the army out west. It was also the first rifle I reloaded for (and whacked my first deer with).
The old Smith Model 58 has saved my bacon on a couple of occasions and is never going to leave my side, it is a trusted friend.
The last one is an old 94 in 25-35. That rifle is just plain fun! There is no sweeter rifle for just knocking about.

Eric
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 3855 »

A Remington 700 BDL I bought new in 1970 for $127.50. Hard earned cash from "kid" jobs at the rate of a buck or so an hour. It was first hunting rifle. I got my first deer with it a few months later. Both my sons took their first deer with it too. It has now taken over 50 head of big game.

A second is a Remington 722 in .257 Roberts I inherited from my Dad. He bought it new around 1949. It has taken a truck load of game too.

Third, my first real gun, a Winchester Model 131 bolt action .22. It has fired thousands upon thousands of rounds without a hitch.

As for the rest, many of the antiques collected over the years, they are pretty special too.

A Winchester Collector
Mossyoak1957
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mossyoak1957 »

My Dad's Sears Ranger 22 he got on his 16th. birthday...70 years ago...Wish he was still here.
Last edited by Mossyoak1957 on Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I'd hate to lose this old and worn 9422...

Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Bridger
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bridger »

Good to see I am not the only one who gets attached to certain guns...
"The best argument against democracy
is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

- Winston Churchill
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

My wife bought this nickle plated, pearl gripped, 1st generation Colt SAA years ago to my surprise. At that time I never figured I would own a 1st generation Colt SAA especially one like this with it's background. She had inherited a little money from a dear uncle and saw me admiring it. When I put it down she said "buy it" you've always wanted one like that and now is the time. :shock: It meant a lot and I'll never forget it. RR7

"That'll Be The Day"
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Nice 30-30 there Kirk :wink: - like to get up there some time to see you shoot it - after I get all recovered. :) :) :)

What in tarnation is on your feet?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

My Grandfather's '03 lightweight sporter is at the top of the list! I've taken a pile of whitetail and
various critters with this rifle and plan on many more.
Followed closely by his Colt Match Target, the Model 12/ 20 Gage my dad gave me and
the Marlin .450 that my wife and Mom bought me right after they came out. My Grandfather on my Mom's side
1894, .38-55 and Colt Official Police.

I have to add one more, the FN M1949 that my beautiful wife bought me for Christmas this year.
What a total surprise!!

There are others, like my Winchester 1895 Russian contract that I'll never part with but I bought that
myself and it just doesn't have the same sentimental feeling that the others do.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

I did the final fit and finish on the wood. It was my first real effort, at doing it the right way. It shoots as nice as it looks.

I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

No pics but its a tie for me.
When I was 7, I got to go rabbit hunting with "the men", my DAD, my Grandfather and my Great Grandfather. Yup four generations of us at one hunt!
Dad had a stevens double twenty with the plastic stocks.
Grandfather had a Winchester single shot, and Great Grandfather had a Montgomery Wards double 12. I have all three of them now that "the men" have all passed. I have a few more valuable guns monetarily,but if you want to take any of those three from me....YOU BETTER BRING FRIENDS CAUSE THERE'S GONNA BE A HELL OF A FIGHT.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
44-40 Willy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 44-40 Willy »

In my younger years I traded guns around like changing socks. These days, I know what I like and won't part with them when I get one. Usually an exposed hammer and an octagon barrel in a caliber I like is all it takes to get the juices flowing on one.
44-40 Winchester. Whacking varmits and putting meat on the table since 1873.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Old Savage wrote:Nice 30-30 there Kirk :wink: - like to get up there some time to see you shoot it - after I get all recovered. :) :) :)

What in tarnation is on your feet?
Some sort of canvas street shoes made by Aushe that I use as house slippers. They got good grips so I can move around inside the house (mostly hardwood floors) without slipping and sliding. Looking forward to your visit. We can blow the dust out of some bores for sure!
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Nice footwear Kirk! :wink:

Heaven forbid, but if it was down to one, it would be my Dad's service revolver - A S&W Model 19. Don't think I could ever part with it...
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Hey Kird D,
Nice looking 30-30 and has anyone ever told you that you resemble Teddy Roosevelt in the second picture of you holding it?
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

UncleBuck wrote:Hey Kird D,
Nice looking 30-30 and has anyone ever told you that you resemble Teddy Roosevelt in the second picture of you holding it?
No, but when I saw the photo after I posted it, I was reminded of him. I think it is the round glasses and the moustache.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Heres my top 5 that mean the most to me
gift from my lovely wife
25-35 flat band ( purchaced from some one here called Sixgun :wink:)
Henry 357 & 22 mag. 2 fine guns & a real joy to shoot (some times I let the wife shoot them)

My uncle gave me a fine 88 in 308 fired 6 times, from 1965 till 2011
My Dad gave me his 94 BB in 375 he bought new in 1981 when his Mom died

ollogger
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

pretty basic post '64 Winchester Ranger 30-30 left to me by my dad --- that means the most. In that respect, my story sounds similar to a lot of others on here --

Another one that means a bit to me is a Colt Lawman .357 -- my first real handgun. I had it parkerized in the days before anything with a prancing pony meant dollar bills prancing out of wallets, -- so i like the fact that i re-finished it the way i wanted it with no regard for resale value, just function ---- It doesnt shoot the best with all loads because it is a picky, fixed sight gun, but full house 158 gr SP's shoot close enough to POA ------- It left my hands once when my brother bought it from me, then i bought it back from him a few years later , but it likely wont leave my safe now except when its time to be used.
----- Doug
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Any gun associated with my dear dad is priceless to me. These include the type 99 Arisaka Rifle he brought back from the war, and his 1903 Springfield the first rifle I ever fired. Also includes the first guns he gifted me my 1976 vintage Ruger 10/22, my 1976 vintage Marlin 1894 44 magnum, and my little Sterling 302 stainless 22 mini-auto.
I almost forgot the model 70 Winchester in 30-06 my father-in-law gave me back in 1982, a real tack-driver that accounted for my first deer, and sheep. It was his but he didn't use it so he offered it to me his then new son-in-law. I thought that was a great gesture of acceptance. :D
Last edited by Ji in Hawaii on Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

My Grandpa's Remington Targetmaster .22LR, the first .22 my folks bought me (Ithaca single shot falling block lever action), the first .22 I bought me (about a year later - Remington Speedmaster BDL), the first shotgun I bought when I was about 14 (Franchi Mod 500), and the Mini 14 that my folks bought me for my first Christmas away in the Army. That's about it - everything else I'd sell if the $$ were enough, but I have no plans to sell any of them.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

These two mean the most to me. Both were from my Dad.

He bought this one when he was about 16 years old at an auction for $1.50 or so.

He bought this model 12 when he was about 40. He had wanted a Model 12 16 gauge since he was a boy, but couldn't afford to buy one. He paid about $130 new for this one.
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

My grandfathers 32 long Smith & Wesson that he killed his hogs and beef with and my father told stories about 'sneaking' it out when he was a teenager running the hills.

Dad's 1951 production marlin in 35 Remington.
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm16 ... IM0075.jpg

My Winchester 70 Custom African Express in .470 Capstick that I had built in the Custom Shop. Paid for it with my year end Bonus ($5000. in 2000), waited 10 months for it to be finished and shipped.
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm16 ... les007.jpg
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Well I got started late in life and have no guns with family or other sentimental ties. I have carried certain guns more than others, and got game with one. I've also shot a lot of silhouette with some. I would say I value the most accurate, least fussy guns the most. That would be my Winchester Legacy in .357 magnum - it's ded nutz. Shot a 37 in pistol cartridge silhouette with it. A close competitor is my new Savage 22lr bolt gun - it's a nice target model with bull barrel. I have less reverence for guns that spray a little even though they basically do the job.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

I have a few....
1871 rolling block my Grandfather bought...38 rimfire
a 1926 model 94 30-30 my Grandfathers brother owned...
Still have a giant rack that scores somewhere around 170 he took with it...
A couple of 22s I got as Christmas gifts from my Dad and Uncle...when i was 15
My Dads Beretta AL2 12 ga...use that all the time at the skeet range...
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I'm still looking for a gun I wouldn't part with. Closest candidate is my late Father's old sportered Springfield. It's ugly, but he killed deer, elk and antelope with it.
jdt
Levergunner

Post by jdt »

Have to saythe Belgian made Browning auto 5 my father gave me when I was 16. Spent a LOT of time alone with her in the woods. Didn't kill much, but I will never part with that gun.

Next would be my Ruger Blackhawk (45 colt). Great gun and it was the first gun that I bought for myself. I had to scrape together for a long time to be able to afford that one.

My father still has some nice guns I'd love to get my hands on (Colt Trooper, Weatherby 22 semi auto, nice Beretta over under) but he's not parting with them. Smart man.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Deleted
Last edited by COSteve on Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I have three guns that my Dad gave me that I would never part with. Other than that, my Purdey is the only one that is priceless to me. I'd sorely miss many others but under the right circumstances they all have a price.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

Ten years ago, which I realized I would be retiring in five and there would not be much money to accumulate guns I made my bucket list, of guns I once owned but regret selling. I sold and traded some of my guns to fill out the bucket list. I also gave some to my kids. What is left, are pretty much here for the duration.
Newtmaker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Newtmaker »

My four lever guns... Two Henry's, a Rossi 92, and a Win 94. The others are prized but I could be talked into getting rid of one or two to make room in my cabinet for another lever gun :lol:

Walt
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

86er wrote:I have three guns that my Dad gave me that I would never part with.
What are they??? Dying to know. :mrgreen:
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

I'm really enjoying reading these posts. I have already posted my choice but thought I would add my two cents on having my dad's or granddad's guns handed down to me. One of my grandads was an avid hunter. I went with him and my uncles many times. His oldest son got the guns then they were handed down to his son. Later on I went out and bought or traded for all five models of guns that he owned and still have them. They included a Winchester 1894 30-30 carbine, a Browning 20 gauge over and under, a model 42 Winchester pump 410, a model 61 Winchester 22, and a model 12, 12 gauge Winchester pump. My dad's dad didn't have any guns that I know of but he did take a 12 gauge double barrel shotgun away from a man that held it on him. He was trying to collect a bill from after the depression. He grab it by the barrels and busted it in half against a tree in the mans front yard then knocked him back through his front door and told my dad to get in their model T Ford. On the way home he told my dad he wasn't going to try and collect anymore debts owned him, money is not worth a man's life his or theirs. My dad love to hunt but didn't like to spend money on guns. He would just use my uncles. I got a Stephens 410 bolt action when I was 13. I learned to get three shots off at a flock of doves or covey of quail. My dad finally bought his on shotgun in the 60s. It was a single shot 20 gauge made in France. It kick like a mule. When I got married I bought him a nice 12 gauge Remington 1100. He loved it. My son now has it along with a Ithaca single shot lever 22 that I also let my dad have. I own a lot of guns but none from my relatives but my grand kids will. :D
Last edited by rangerider7 on Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"That'll Be The Day"
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

Once upon a time there werev 2 guns that I said I would never part with. A Winchester model 67 single shot 22 and a Remington 870 20 ga that belonged to my Dad. My son is not into firearms but my nephew just started. When he got his firearms permit this year, I gave him the model 67. At first he didn't want to take it from me but I told him that Papa (his grandpa) would want him to have it. I will keep the 870 for a while yet in case my son decides he wants it, if not my nephew will get it too.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

It is a sad thing, I have many guns and no one to leave them to.
I have a niece, but my brother sent me back the Husquvarna .243 I sent him, because of problems with her ( boyfriends )
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Hopefully that works out eventually with your niece or maybe her kids Mescalero. You never know how it will shake out. For me....my Dad's Security Six, my Grandfathers single shot h and R and my Uncles Flat Top 44...each for different reasons. My Winchester 94 Big Bore In 356 Win. was there when I met and dated my future wife while working in the Sierra Nevada's, and I've had many adventures with it. The flat Top: Image
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

That is sexy!
Old model, with the real trigger,
my brother has it in .45ACP/.45Colt.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Great picture there C.Cash. Well Mesc, I'm here - you can leave them to me :) now if you wish - you don't even have to depart.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

OS,
You are such a helpful & caring soul :lol:
By the way, the road is being cut as we speak, you need to get Heather to tell you what length chain she wears.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Mescalero wrote:That is sexy!
Old model, with the real trigger,
my brother has it in .45ACP/.45Colt.
Thanks guys! The girl definitely has all the right curves. I think, the best SA ever designed.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

C.Cash, nice Ruger, trapper and Crockett spurs. RR7
Last edited by rangerider7 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"That'll Be The Day"
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

The gun that means the most to me is also the least expensive gun I own, Grandpa's old H&R 949. Now callin it Grandpa's isn't strickly correct. It was his only brother's yet one that was by all accounts (even Grandpa's) no good. I don't know if Grandpa even shot the gun. But HE gave it to me, it could of been a bottle cap and I'd cherish it.
Elker
Levergunner

Post by Elker »

The guns that mean the most to me is my entire collection of
Winchesters....73s, 86, 90s, 92s, 06s, 61s and 63s.
I would have a terrible time parting with any of them and my kids will love me when I die cause they will inherit the whole thing.
Pics of the collection:
IMG_3335.JPG
IMG_3340.JPG
IMG_3336.JPG
IMG_3343.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." James Madison
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Wowsers :shock: :mrgreen:
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot