Two very different "Bump in the Night" Guns...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Two very different "Bump in the Night" Guns...

Post by AJMD429 »

So far, I've not been able to detect a 'difference' between these two firearms when it comes to real-world 'farm' issues like what you do when you hear coyotes in the pasture and you've just had a half-dozen baby goats born, or when you hear the chickens squawking at 3 am due to a possum or raccoon eating one of their siblings. I've fortunately NOT had to compare the two against a two-leg predator, but I suspect the results would be similar.

One is a stock Marlin 1894 chambered in a 19th-century cartridge (.45 Colt), with a sweated-on steel scope-mount onto the magazine-tube (you could do the same less expensively with a screw-on mount to the forearm), and a basic scope-base with Burris Fastfire-II and LaserMax pistol laser, topped off with a non-milspec "Coast" high-intensity flashlight on 1" scope-rings. I can deal with a feral cat, raccoon, or possum at 75 yards in pitch-black conditions with that setup.

The other is a Saiga chambered in the modern 'military' 7.62x39 cartridge, with an infrared Digital night-vision scope, built-in infrared illuminator, extra high-power illuminator, laser 'designator', and visible-spectrum flashlight.

Both guns hold ten rounds, although the Saiga can accept a reloaded magazine more quickly, whereas the Marlin can accept single-loaded 'replacement' rounds withoud disengaging.

The first gun cost maybe $600 for the levergun, and added another $500 for the sights, mount, and light...$1,100 total. The second cost only $400 for the gun (which IS more accurate than the Marlin - 2 MOA vs. 5 MOA), but the night-vision scope and infrared illuminator, extra illuminator, and mount and flashlight added another $1,600 to the setup.

So $1,100 vs. $2,000 - AND the Marlin shoots subsonic .45 Colt loads vs. supersonic 7.62x39's. Plus - which one looks the most 'handy' in terms of carrying and actually using...?

One MORE reason to like 'leverguns'... 8)
Last edited by AJMD429 on Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Re: Two very different "Bump in the Night" Guns...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Ok...

So can you tell me a good truss maker to help me deal with the hernia from #1?

Why do you even have #1? :?: To me an MBR needs to be able to withstand a close proximity nuke... and the plastic/gizmos on that there chinese critter won't...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

The only reason I have #1 is because "the authorities" (not the guvment ones - the 'gun experts') tell me that an EBR with a bonafide Gen-II+ night-vision scope is the 'only' way to go, whether for coyotes in the goat-pen, raccoons in the chicken-house, or two-legs out to terrorize the family. I also happened to have a Saiga just because they were cheaper than the politically-incorrect 'AK' semiautos. Add in the digital night-vision because I had the funds and wanted to play with new technology.

Granted, if there were evil two-legs trying to shoot-back, I'd rather have the subtle infrared setup, but the two-legs likeliest to harm U.S. civilians these days will likely have enough technology that anything more advanced than a rubber-band spitball-gun will have a 'signature' they will zero-in upon, so if the 'authorities' are the two-legs, I figure the only choice for the legitimate civilian is where they want the grease-spot to be after they are vaporized. (too bad the 'Republicans' are feeding into all this with their
'pro-marriage' and 'drug-war' garbage, but that's a "political" thread so I won't go there).

Anyway, although I think in a stable, safe, society the civilians will have anonymous access to the night-vision stuff and 'military-style' semiautos, in order to keep the proper balance-of-power between citizen and government, for "practical farm use", the good-old levergun (1894 design, no less) coupled with the modern high-tech laser and optical sights, is as good as, or even better (more compact, less fragile) than the 'traditional' EBR night setup.

By the way, I refer to the Saiga as my "comically over-accesorized EBR", although it IS actually fairly effective and I hope to nail a coyote with it sometime. Still, the contrast in size and smoothness is obvious. Don't discount the old leverguns... :mrgreen:
Last edited by AJMD429 on Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I guess I'm old school.

I can make NVG destroying Flares a lot cheaper than the FRNs needed to buy a decent NVG...

Works for the Ragheads...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Guess that's why although I have my Saiga Digital DFWM toy, most nights if there's squawking in the chicken-coop, I'll be dealing with it using a 120-year-old gun with the latest visible-spectrum sights... :twisted:

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Nothing wrong with toys. I just try not to confuse Toys with Tools... :wink: :mrgreen:
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

My version of a bump in the night gun.

Unless there is civl unrest then.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I got one of the Brazillan Navy 1917 in bad shape, a lot of heavy pitting from salt water corrosion.
I put a 6 inch heavy bull barrel on it and a Bo-Mar rib on it, feed it full moon clips, one of my bump in the night devices.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

For me, a "bump in the night" gun MUST be able to allow me to hit a target at 50-75 yards in total darkness. Otherwise, it is useless in real-world conditions, regardless of the chambering, nostalgia factor, or whatever.

If a "bump in the night" gun can't shoot a 50-yard group like THIS in total darkness, it's worthless.

Both the above guns are able to do the job, but the Marlin is far easier to use, less fragile, and my overall choice of preference.

I don't see the average tricked-out AR-15, or handgun with 'night sights' as even remotely able to compare to the humble century-old levergun with the simple holosight/laser/flashlight setup.

Plus, if I have to wear 'hearing protectors' to use the darned thing (non-suppressed AR's, centerfire handguns), that adds another layer of gadgetry I don't care to deal with - it may be worth damaging my hearing to survive a zombie-attack, but for the real-world scenario of raccoons in the henhouse or coyotes eating the goats, I'd rather just shoot them and go back to sleep...

Granted, I enjoy, and have, several nice handguns, and an AR-15 I could use as "bump in the night" guns, but NONE of mine can shoot a 50-yard target in total darkness like my NightScout levergun(s) - can any of your 'bump in the night' guns do that...???

Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

My bump in the night scenario does not match yours, mine is much closer; I have no livestock to defend.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Mescalero wrote:My bump in the night scenario does not match yours, mine is much closer; I have no livestock to defend.
Good point - my setup is for "outside the house" events, vs. "inside the house" ones. My NightScout levergun would work fine indoors, but really 'shines' (pun intended) outdoors. Inside I'd probably choose a handgun or short shotgun with a light/laser on it, if I didn't already have the levergun setup.

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

AJMD429 wrote:
Mescalero wrote:My bump in the night scenario does not match yours, mine is much closer; I have no livestock to defend.
Good point - my setup is for "outside the house" events, vs. "inside the house" ones. My NightScout levergun would work fine indoors, but really 'shines' (pun intended) outdoors. Inside I'd probably choose a handgun or short shotgun with a light/laser on it, if I didn't already have the levergun setup.
I REALLY like the lever set-up. I'm about to set up my 870 Tactical with a similar-type light. My nagging doubt is that the light is a fairly good aiming point for BG to fire back on. Someone needs to invent a switch built into the trigger...the first spring loaded half inch could be the switch....only on when you need to shoot, then off as you move and reload. :idea:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

AJMD429 wrote:
Real World, real Differences. My Flat is smaller than a Double Wide.

My Property is 50ft x 1/2 block.

I don't need an EBR, I need properly placed Claymores on analog solenoid circuits...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Old Ironsights wrote:Real World, real Differences. My Flat is smaller than a Double Wide.

My Property is 50ft x 1/2 block.

I don't need an EBR, I need properly placed Claymores on analog solenoid circuits...
I like the way you think... :twisted:

El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

you have probably broken about a dozen California laws.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

El Chivo wrote:you have probably broken about a dozen California laws.
:twisted:

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

pretty simple

http://www.americanspecialtyammo.com/Gadgets.html

I'm thinking of rigging a superbright light inside the house that covers the entryway and leaves me hidden shadow.

that'll get 'em blinking hard.

I let the dog go out to check the perimeter when he alerts. no one can get past his nose.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

(too bad the 'Republicans' are feeding into all this with their
'pro-marriage'
yeah, those dirty rotten republicans who believe that marriage is an institution created by God to bring honor to His Name. what were those crazy republicans thinking?

it's so much better for society to besmirch the Holy Name of the Sovereign Creator God and impugn His honor and get Him REALLY PIZZED OFF so that He has no choice but to bring judgement against the pagans that the republicans oppose. Yeah, that's it, let's get the Creator of the universe REALLY TICKED OFF AT AMERICA. That'll show Him what's up...

Right?

sheeeeeeesh
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Motion sensor lights outside.

Blink and move inside.

It's not a lighthouse. Blink and move, if you see the target, light on, stay on, and dominate the situation.

Having been on both ends of modern white lights doing entries, they won't blind you, but they can definitely disorient you.

I'll still take an M4 first. Training supercedes anything else, and I've got maybe five years on levers, 20 on bolt-actions and 20 on the M16/M4.

AJDM, I hope that NVG isn't from ATN. Their QC is horrible, and in a few cases, the Russian/Chinese tubes they're using have none of the multiple filters they're supposed to have, and are beaming radiation right into your eye.

As to flares...... any Gen III or better NVG is autogated. You can stare right into a car headlight, it won't bother it in the least.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Grizz wrote:yeah, those dirty rotten republicans who believe that marriage is an institution created by God to bring honor to His Name. what were those crazy republicans thinking?
Yes - created by God, NOT by elected politicians and bureaucrats. Also to be enforced by God. Perhaps some don't really have faith that there is a God or any repercussions in the next life, and want Man to take over the role, but in our imperfection we cannot replace God, no matter how righteous it makes us feel. Sin is not wrong merely because we legislate and deem it so - it is wrong regardless. Failure to pass some redundant legislative rule defining it would make it no less a sin.

As long as we keep making this mistake, we will keep getting Democrats in office - they don't leave morality up to God - they specifically legislate laws requiring immorality be subsidized, which is far worse. The Republicans have to get the Democrats out of office if there is to be any progress at all.

We've already beat this horse to death in the 'politics' forum...

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

We've already beat this horse to death in the 'politics' forum...
YOU'RE the one who can't stop bringing it up. I am not going to let your attacks go unremarked.

Those republicans you love to scorn are REPRESENTING THE VIEWS AND NEEDS OF THEIR CONSTITUENTS.

there are MILLIONS AND MILLIONS of folks in this country who want their needs represented in the government.

your views appear to be represented by the godless, thoughtless, crass and craven democrats whose god is their bellies.
they are the party of godless immorality, they even removed God from their platform in response to your wishes.

The fact there is Godly opposition to your position is the last glimmer of Light in the land, before the current tyranny snuffs it out.

if you think society is lovely now, just wait until ALL the representatives vote your views.

you know, sow the wind, reap the whirlwind?

when the last elected official gives up, or perhaps before than that even, God will have His say in the matter.

But, as I noted, YOU are the one who cannot refrain from blaming the republicans for their attempt to stand up to satan.

scorn them whenever you wish, but if you don't want to hear the Godly perspective, stop asking for it. some of us will not be silenced by the vain philosophy of men.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I do apologize for my snide 'aside' remark earlier in the thread, that did not belong outside the 'political' forum. No need to reiterate our views and spoil this thread just due to my bad. We've discussed it to death elsewhere, and we'll have to see how a hundred million or so folks play it out politically over the next election cycle. We will both no doubt be praying for it to somehow come out for the better society. Unfortunately, we will likely both be disappointed. God help us all.

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

well, shucks; I appreciate that Doc. Let's shake hands and keep the coffee on.

Grizz
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Grizz wrote:well, shucks; I appreciate that Doc. Let's shake hands and keep the coffee on.
In the dark and degenerate times we're in now, with a socialist police-state already in place destroying that which we both hold dear, it's understandable that team-mates might argue - we're both allies, grasping at straws in order to 'save' that which is most likely already lost to the Devil/Democrats (unsure there is a meaningful difference :( ).

. . . anyway, back to our regularly-scheduled programming on "Bump in the Night" guns . . . :wink:

There's always THIS setup, if all you need is a .22 LR. It is 'funny looking' but has accounted for lots of egg-eating possums and chicken-eating raccoons over the past few years...

It's just a Ruger 10/22 with a EoTech Holosight, 290-lumen hardware-store flashlight, LaserMax pistol laser, Eagle flash-suppressor/muzzle-protector, and Tapco stock. Does the job quite well and not all that expensive. The EoTech was actually my compound-bow sight from years ago, and the used sale value was too low for me to want to part with it, so I just used it on this setup. No fancy, expensive, bulky, and fragile 'night-vision' stuff needed with it, and no need to juggle carrying a firearm and flashlight separately when out trying to do chores or close up the livestock.

Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Thanks for the reminder, I think my XMas present to myself will be some Hi Cap mags for my Remington 597.
Have plenty for the two 10-22's.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I like Doc's setup. Very practical and handy.

I must have the world's only unreliable 10-22. It cannot feed thru one magazine without jamming. I've cleaned it. I've cleaned the mags. I can't get it to run. My 39 feeds anything and knocks down 100M rams. I wish I could say the same for the ruger. They have such a great rep. Mine's junk.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Wow,
That is wierd.
That really is the first 10-22 I have heard about doing that.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

"Inside bump-in-the-night" tool:

Old "outside bum-in-the-night" tool:

New "outside bum-in-the-night" tool:

I'm slowly getting over the feelings associated with just owning this:

Small handheld, high-intensity flashlight is very comfortable for me, I've learned to use it independently of my gun... and in some circumstances, reholstering is desired, but if still needing the light source, it's nice to have that option available... to me. Not suggesting that anyone else adopt my method, or is, in some fashion, better. Just how I was trained, and I tend to stick with that which has worked for me in the past.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Do you hold it out, away from your body?
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Grizz wrote:I must have the world's only unreliable 10-22. It cannot feed thru one magazine without jamming. I've cleaned it. I've cleaned the mags. I can't get it to run.
MidwayUSA sells 'sharper' extractors from various manufacturers and often they seem to do the job. If not, consider swapping out the barrel in case the chamber's rough (takes about 10 minutes and no tools but an allen-wrench). Extra barrels are inexpensive, easy to re-sell if you don't need, or you could just ask someone local if they'd do a swap just for diagnostic purposes. If you are around these parts before you get another barrel to try I have one you could try.

L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

My outside bump in the night tool:

For anything else my Winchester 1300 with 22" barrel does the trick. Have thought about a light on it though but accessories are limited and haven't gotten creative yet.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I too have an extra barrel, it would be a quick easy way to test the barrel theory.
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Interesting contrast between the two Doc. I noticed the, um, efficiency I guess you'd call it of your levers when you first posted their pics.

I would hate to try to pack around that Sagia. What do the two rifles weigh?

Cat
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

thanks for the info and barrel offers. the gun is in alaska and I am in wa most of the time. I didn't think to bring it back this summer.

maybe the ejector is it, 'cause it mostly stovepipes. I'll put that on the list to take back there. going to scope it too. with the itty bitty bullet I have to get a finer bead than with the real bullets. :)

Grizz
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Grizz wrote:thanks for the info and barrel offers. the gun is in alaska and I am in wa most of the time. I didn't think to bring it back this summer.

maybe the ejector is it, 'cause it mostly stovepipes. I'll put that on the list to take back there. going to scope it too. with the itty bitty bullet I have to get a finer bead than with the real bullets. :)

Grizz
My early 60ish 39 Mountie won't run quite right (failure to eject) if I don't hold it just about vertically....not sure why that is. Tho, if I had to guess, it's the ejector.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

@ AJMD429
What do you have holding that flashlight in place, if you don't mind me asking?

Bump in the Niiiiiiigh!
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

BlaineG wrote:
Grizz wrote:thanks for the info and barrel offers. the gun is in alaska and I am in wa most of the time. I didn't think to bring it back this summer.

Grizz
My early 60ish 39 Mountie won't run quite right (failure to eject) if I don't hold it just about vertically....not sure why that is. Tho, if I had to guess, it's the ejector.
is the take-down bolt loosening? is the lever screw loosening? the lever always loosens up on mine. so far no failures with it.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Panzercat wrote:What do you have holding that flashlight in place, if you don't mind me asking?
Night Scout - Version One (Marlin, 357 Mag) - http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=23531

Night Scout - Version Two (Rossi, 45 Colt) - http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=31062

Night Scout - Version Three (Marlin 44 Mag) - http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=40663

The 'Version Three' one was the best so far - steel scope base sweated onto the magazine tube (JB-Welded aluminum to steel tube worked ok on the 45 Colt), and the pvc mount for the 357 Mag worked well but was bulky.

The 44 Magnum one is actually now a 45 Colt - I just liked the idea of a 45 Colt Marlin, and couldn't find a reasonably-priced one (but found a new factory barrel at Numrich for a hundred bucks or so, and did the swap using my AR-15 barrel-vice and a 'wrench' made of old floorboards and bolts).

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

did the swap using my AR-15 barrel-vice and a 'wrench' made of old floorboards and bolts).
I'll bet you're a lot of fun in day surgery... :P ".....Here...you're just going to feel a little pinch..... :shock: )

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
trapper45
Levergunner 1.0

Post by trapper45 »

Grizz wrote:I must have the world's only unreliable 10-22. It cannot feed thru one magazine without jamming. I've cleaned it. I've cleaned the mags. I can't get it to run. My 39 feeds anything and knocks down 100M rams. I wish I could say the same for the ruger. They have such a great rep. Mine's junk.
Same thing for me. Bought a new 10-22 for $42 (list price was $60--it was a little while back). Nice gun--walnut stock, metal buttplate--but it never would function 100% reliably. Not what I like in an automatic. Later on it was replaced by a 39M which has never failed to cycle or work properly, no matter what it was fed (short, long, long rifle, Colibris, you name it). Gave the 10-22 to my brother, who seldom shoots it.
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

trapper45 wrote:
Grizz wrote:I must have the world's only unreliable 10-22. It cannot feed thru one magazine without jamming. I've cleaned it. I've cleaned the mags. I can't get it to run. My 39 feeds anything and knocks down 100M rams. I wish I could say the same for the ruger. They have such a great rep. Mine's junk.
Same thing for me. Bought a new 10-22 for $42 (list price was $60--it was a little while back). Nice gun--walnut stock, metal buttplate--but it never would function 100% reliably. Not what I like in an automatic. Later on it was replaced by a 39M which has never failed to cycle or work properly, no matter what it was fed (short, long, long rifle, Colibris, you name it). Gave the 10-22 to my brother, who seldom shoots it.
Thought I was the only evil Ruger 10/22 dissenter here :lol:
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Panzercat wrote:
trapper45 wrote:
this is beyond funny. three 10-22 owners outed in the same thread. who'da thunk it ?

if we band together can we influence.... nah.

Grizz
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Grizz wrote:
Panzercat wrote:
trapper45 wrote:
this is beyond funny. three 10-22 owners outed in the same thread. who'da thunk it ?

Grizz
Band together for influence? How about band together for a therapy group? :D
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Panzercat,

What in the world is that levergun in your pic!?! Tell us a story here, very interesting.

Cat
trapper45
Levergunner 1.0

Post by trapper45 »

Grizz wrote:
Panzercat wrote:
trapper45 wrote:

Grizz
Got the 39M in '85. Never gave the 10-22 another thought--till now. Still happier with the Marlin.
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

My collection of bump in the night responses all have light sources some IR some visible.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It is not the critic who counts
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Paladin wrote:My collection of bump in the night responses all have light sources some IR some visible.
What's the 1911'ish one...? The can on it looks like a .22 LR can, but is it a .22 LR gun...???

Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

AJMD429 wrote:
Paladin wrote:My collection of bump in the night responses all have light sources some IR some visible.
What's the 1911'ish one...? The can on it looks like a .22 LR can, but is it a .22 LR gun...???
A .22 kit on a Colt Delta Elite
It is not the critic who counts
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

Catshooter wrote:Panzercat, What in the world is that levergun in your pic!?! Tell us a story here, very interesting. Cat
I think everyone here is tired of seeing it, but it's a Mossberg 464 Davidson's edition, marinecote. 30-30 5+1 16in barrel. Was a little snarky with me at first, but I think it just needed some good break-in time. That 16in barrel is pretty obnoxious when sending rounds down range :)
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

Bump in the night :shock:
Start with a double barrel sawed off 10ga loaded with 2 rounds of OO buckshot.
Thats 36 pellets--- same as 4 shots with a 12 ga.
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm16 ... bbl001.jpg

After that follow up with either a 3 inch SW 44 magnum or a colt 1911--- or both!

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm16 ... ins007.jpg