Movie - Appaloosa

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
bdhold

Movie - Appaloosa

Post by bdhold »

I got a movie for you, too. Last night, watched Appaloosa on AMC for the first time. Liked it enough I bought the dvd today.
I don't think I've ever seen a better representation of cowboys on film, especially the characters portrayed by Ed Harris and Viggo Mortensen. I was amazed at what a believable cowboy even Jeremy Irons made. Good story, great firearms, costuming - if you haven't seen it, worth hunting down.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Movie - Appaloosa

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I saw that too. Pretty good western and a great cast.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Yes, it was pretty good. There are clips of it on youtube in any haven't seen it and are curious.

Another decent one with Ed Harris was the film remake of the Zane Grey book, "Riders of the Purple Sage". It was pretty good overall, tho had a couple aspects that were weak. The language was in Greys pretty formal writing style, and the outlaw Oldring's hat was a bit too much. Otherwise it was fun. There's 2 clips of it on youtube.
Last edited by Malamute on Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

The one clip Riders looked good. The book is one of Mr. Grey's best.

Putting it on the NetFlix list.

Thanks!

:mrgreen:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Mich Hunter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mich Hunter »

Makes me really want an 8ga SXS really bad
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

The armorer built a pair of shotguns for the movie, on 12-gauge TTN copies of the 1878 Colt shotgun..
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

That shottie did look a little funny, but I want one too!
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I see the word "shottie" being used here sometmes and I sure would like to know what it means. I must be to old for this new talk.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

JerryB -- “Shottie”: a shotgun.

I never swung an 8 gauge SXS Black Powder shot gun, but I did manage a 10 gauge SXS BP scattergun with 32” or 34” barrels.

A Fellow Shooter had it for Black Powder bird hunting and trap shooting. It was heavy, cumbersome, and a handful. When swinging it side to side, I thought the weight and momentum would turn me in a complete circle. And I knew when it went off!
Never took him up on his offer let me to try out his deer buckshot loads.

Can only imagine what an 8 would be like.

Not only that but I wonder how many of those Black Powder shotguns are still around? Of course, you could always purchase one of those Spanish 10 gauge magnum SXS and load it with Black Powder….
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

My friend Mike had one of those Spanish 10 guage shotguns, cut the barrels to 19 inches;
it was a handfull.
I never! shot it where I felt like I had control of the beast.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

When it fell from the tree, was the Appaloosa?

I seem to remember that movie from the '70's - is this a direct remake?

I don't know about patchy horses, I like 'em all one color.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

I like the dapple grays that Clint Eastwood rides.
Shiner Ranch south of San Antonio is famous for their line of white quarter horses, but if they don't make it to white, they stay dapple gray, and I think they look better...

But The Appaloosa was a 1966 Brando film about a horse.
Appaloosa is a 2008 film about a town named Appaloosa
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Speaking of Appaloosa anyone here remember the 1966 classic "The Appaloosa" starring Marlon Brando? This was a great western I enjoyed as a kid, Brando at his prime. :wink:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4Vvrg8PR3s
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Appaloosa

Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Dewight
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dewight »

I only got to see bits and parts of the movie, but the story seemed interesting enough that I order the book on my kindle.

I like Clint's dapple grey too.
Member: Vast Right Wing Conspiracy
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

Ray Newman wrote:JerryB -- “Shottie”: a shotgun.

I never swung an 8 gauge SXS Black Powder shot gun, but I did manage a 10 gauge SXS BP scattergun with 32” or 34” barrels.

A Fellow Shooter had it for Black Powder bird hunting and trap shooting. It was heavy, cumbersome, and a handful. When swinging it side to side, I thought the weight and momentum would turn me in a complete circle. And I knew when it went off!
Never took him up on his offer let me to try out his deer buckshot loads.

Can only imagine what an 8 would be like.

Not only that but I wonder how many of those Black Powder shotguns are still around? Of course, you could always purchase one of those Spanish 10 gauge magnum SXS and load it with Black Powder….
You forgot sawing those 36 inch barrels off! mines 20 inches and it belches fire with 120 grains of black per shell!
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm16 ... bbl001.jpg
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

Just rented it from Amazon, had it put on my Kindle Fire and watched it in the reloading room while I loaded a few hundred 38-40 cartridges........Perfect evening!
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
Twodot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Twodot »

Ji,
I was thinking of the old Marlon Brando version also, but I may have to find a copy of this new one to watch. I hear there is a skinny dipping scene with Renee Zellweger. :wink: