Thoughts on the BLR please.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Thoughts on the BLR please.

Post by Blackhawk »

Concerning the BLR w/a 20'' barrel in either 243 or 7/08? Accuracy?

Johnny

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Hobie

Re: Thoughts on the BLR please.

Post by Hobie »

Yes.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

1/4" group with 243 81 BLR.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Yes.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

Very accurate rifle.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Can't speak for any models other than the original and the BLR81 steel receiver, and in 243 and 308 , but they will shoot less than moa 3 shot groups when paired with their favored ammo, and the 20 inch barrel does not give up enough velocity to worry about.
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

Mine will shoot just as well as my 308 Mauser,feels better too.
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

I used to have one of the steel receiver models in 222 and I could do sub MOA 5 shot groups all day with it.
I'm actually looking at getting another old BLR, or MLR and converting it to 260 Remington. That will give it more grunt than a 243 with less throat erosion than the 243 as well. For Oz that should be suitable for camels and ferals all the way up to scrub bulls, and for you guys it should be good all the way up to moose. 7-08 would be a little more grunt, but with more recoil and a smaller selection of good bullets. The only drawback to the BLR action is it is an absolute PITA to work on and most people will tell you to leave all internal work to a competent gunsmith. Also, if you get over excited during a hunt you can strip the gears in the action and render the gun unusable.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I own a couple of .308 Win steel framed BLR's. Owned all kinds of Winchesters, and Marlins and Savages, and IMHO, the old steel framed BLR is my favorite, when I need every edge, available. As far a taking them apart, I don't. I have seen a few at gunshows that were not right, and I am sure it was because someone messed with them and did not get them back together right.

I have used and abused one of mine, and never had a problem with it. It's still my go to gun, when I just have to get something killed.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

gundownunder,
what is a scrub bull?
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Love the BLR. Not familiar with 7mm-08 but my 308 shoots great. I have given 8 of them to my grandsons and will pass on 4 more someday. Most 308 but a couple of 243s and an 06. All are plenty accurate. My old belgian made gun shot a 1" group from a cold, clean barrel when I checked the sight before our deer season and it has had several thousand rounds through it besides being abused by riding in a pickup floor with a high-lift jack. (before I got it)
Buy one!
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Where is Vinita, I.T.?
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

what is a scrub bull?
It's exactly what its name suggests.
Cattle properties in outback Australia can be anything from a million acres up, and in the Northern Territory they measure them in 100s of square miles. These stations are covered in feral camels, donkeys, horses and scrub bulls.
You know those TexMex cattle you get over there, well think of a bull that's bigger due to a breeding program that includes stock like Angus and Brahman. Then imagine that this animal has an uncontrollable desire to stomp your scrawny butt into the ground if he gets wind of you.
Here are a couple of sites you may want to have a look at.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXUwWxBiG6g
http://mcghieswildcountry.com/modules/c ... .php?id=17
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Mescalero,
Prior to statehood, Oklahoma consisted of two territories; Oklahoma Territory, basically west of I-35 and Indian Territory, the eastern part of what is now Oklahoma. Vinita is in the northeast quadrant in the Cherokee Nation.
I have some old correspondence which is addressed to or from Vinita, I. T. Always seemed sorta nostalgic to me.
The grandchildren that I have given the BLRs to are all card carrying Cherokees. Still four of them in the safe for the younger ones.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS