Am I the only one with this problem?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
soon 2 retire
Levergunner 2.0

Am I the only one with this problem?

Post by soon 2 retire »

I moved to Wasington one year ago after I retired. I got my concealed carry permit and then bought a Glock 19, a Crossbreed Supertuck IWB holster, and a 1 1/2" Crossbreed leather gun belt. The holster and belt are awesome products but unless I cinched the belt tight enough to make my eyes bug out the weight of the Glock worked relentlessly to pull my pants southward. (Did I mention I have a modest gut and snake hips?). What I ended up doing was I purchased suspenders made by Perry Products. They have J clips that slip over the belt instead of clipping on your pants. The result was that everything works great and is very comfortable. Has anyone else had to resort to something like this?

BTW, on a sad note the owner/founder of Crossbreed, Mark Craighead, passed away at the age of 43 at the end of last month. His product and his company's service are awesome. From what I have read and seen on TV , he appeared to be a fine young man.

Bob in Friday Harbor
Don't look back something might be gaining on you.
-Leroy "Satchel" Paige
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Am I the only one with this problem?

Post by AJMD429 »

I see lots of guys who need suspenders, and though I'm skinny and have bony hips, and don't need suspenders, but holsters are seldom comfortable worn on a belt, unless the gun is a flat one like a 1911.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Without suspenders, my pants hit the ground without any help with the extra weight :P
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

My wife keeps telling me I need suspenders. Like Blaine mine pants are in a constant race to the floor. That's just with my normal stuff I carry in my pockets and no holster. I might look into the Perry Products suspenders, they sound like a good deal, where do you find them?
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
soon 2 retire
Levergunner 2.0

Post by soon 2 retire »

I bought mine from Perry's website. All their suspenders are here.

http://perrysuspenders.com/

Bob in Friday Harbor
-Leroy "Satchel" Paige
1894c

Post by 1894c »

i think gravity is stronger in the Pacific NorthWest...i too have been known to have issues with my pants...although having ones pants hanging close to your knees would put you into the hip-hop crowd...so i would recommend spray-painting the Glock-19 gold and hanging it around your neck..that would take care of the holster issue...:)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

I am in the construction trade. I rarely wear a hammer belt, but I carry quite a bit in my pockets and my shirt is often coming untucked. Would the regular Perry's work or should I get the construction ones with the non-elastic fronts?
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

I have the same problem with my pants and it doesn't take a gun to pull em down. While working I always have a few tools shoved in the various pockets of my carpenter pants and those cause my pants to need constant adjustment too. I'd like to use suspenders but I can't. Various shoulder injuries and working over my head make it so I can't lift my arms by the end of the day if I use em. I can't even wear coveralls due to this.

Now on the same note I've been wondering.......... I've always used my pants belt to carry my handguns while out in the field and of coarse, constant adjustment is needed. For field use does a completely separate gun belt help with the pants around my butt issue?
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

In the PNW, where it rains a LOT, a lightweight jacket isn't out of place... so think:
Last edited by Griff on Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I wear suspenders sometimes. I've found it helps my back, especially when carrying a sixgun. I generally have a dedicated cartridge/gun belt, rather than carrying on my pants belt. I dont really need the suspenders, but they help my back, and help keep everything from needing adjustment through the day or when out walking. I prefer the bottom on type. The clips always came loose for me. when I get a new pair of pants, I spend the 20 minutes it takes to sew on buttons, then I'm good for the life of the pants. I cut the buttons off when retiring the pants and move them to a new pair. I have some nice leather Y back suspenders with an extra heavy elastic section in the back.

I wear a tool belt for working. I keep the load to the minimum practical for whatever I'm doing, and use LC1 military web gear suspenders on my tool belt, which also helps with the back, and the tool belt doesn't need to be so tight to stay up.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

You need perry suspenders. http://www.suspenderstore.com/besu.html ... MgodrEsAzA
I am a expert cum de lau at this. I am 3 spins on the scale with no butt. I was a uniform armed guard for over 35 years. My last dozzen years or so I wore perrys color coded to match my uniform shirts. (tan). I tried others with the usual metal clips and they will tear up your furniture, truck and car seats, and pants wast bands. Perrys whole thing is the plastic hooks that hook on the belt. My biggest complaint with them is when you drop your pants in the rest room almost always you have to rehook the hook behind your back. And if your like me DO NOT wear them under a untucked outer shirt. I will leave why up to your imagnation.
I wear perrys 100 % of the time. Just me and my perrys. (Green ones over a green t-shirt)
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I too, suffer from that old white man's disease "no-butt-itus" :oops: I've tried suspenders (gallises?) but I have to tuck in my t-shirt or wear them against my skin when I wear a regular shirt. Ain't figgered this one out yet...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Tuck your shirt in?
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

While perry suspenders are undoubtly the best most practable solution, let me point out what I think would be the best. The problem is you either would have to have a wife that likes to sew or do a lot of searching and altering. In looking at old time photos of guys wearing pants with suspenders both western and unarmed eastern, buttons was popular. When I was a kid you could still get levis with steel buttons for suspenders. Also there used to be some brand called "Frisco cant bust em jeans". They were real heavy material with the steel suspender buttons. I wore them around 1960 working for the national park service in the woods everyday. I noticed most lumberjacks wore them too. The old style suspenders were leather strips with button holes and the long parts were cloth. They didnt come unhooked when you dropped your pants like perrys do. I already said in my prior post my beef with metal clips tearing up things.
The ideal pair of pants would have steel buttons, vey wide belt loops that a gunbelt would go through instead of haveing to wear belt keepers like we did on uniform pants and belts. Really if you wear pants with suspenders you dont need to wear a belt. (You have to wear a belt with the perrys though because you need a belt for those clips.)
Since you already have the pants secure with suspenders, a gunbelt without a trouser belt shouldnt pull your pants down. You would have to still snug it up but not real, real tight to keep from wearing your gunbelt around your ankels.
Take a look at pictures of the cowboys in the 1880s. Thats just how they wore their pants and guns.
The only differance would be the large "V" opening. That wouldnt fly well today. You would want to get away from that.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Try altering the position of the gun on your belt.

I carry at the 4-4:30 position, 12 being the buckle, for some of this reason, it's where it 'fits' and hides best, also does not cause pants to gravitate southward.

You shouldn't be cutting off bloodflow below the waist just to be carrying.
soon 2 retire
Levergunner 2.0

Post by soon 2 retire »

Tycer wrote:I am in the construction trade. I rarely wear a hammer belt, but I carry quite a bit in my pockets and my shirt is often coming untucked. Would the regular Perry's work or should I get the construction ones with the non-elastic fronts?

I don't know the answer to this one Tycer; I just know the standard Perry's work with the weight of a fully loaded G19 and whatever I have in my pockets. As far as shirts coming untucked you might try the long anti butt crack t-shirts from Duluth Trading Co.

Bob in Friday Harbor
-Leroy "Satchel" Paige
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Thats what I wear. I am 6 ft 1", 300 lbs and only wear the tall extra long t-shirts and shirts. I think 3XLT. I just got a catalog from "King size". T see they go up to 6 XL. You can cover your car with that!
soon 2 retire
Levergunner 2.0

Post by soon 2 retire »

Booger Bill wrote:You need perry suspenders. http://www.suspenderstore.com/besu.html ... MgodrEsAzA
My biggest complaint with them is when you drop your pants in the rest room almost always you have to rehook the hook behind your back. And if your like me DO NOT wear them under a untucked outer shirt. I will leave why up to your imagnation.
I wear perrys 100 % of the time. Just me and my perrys. (Green ones over a green t-shirt)

Bill,

I know where of you speak. I wear a t-shirt underneath the Perry's and a long short or long sleeve shirt outside over the pistol. When I go into a public stall I have to remove the outer shirt and hang it on the door. Then I have to be careful that the Glock doesn't take a dive into the thunder mug. It's kind of a pain especially on the ferry when the sea is a little rough but the comfort outweighs all the short comings. The clips have rarely popped off during the process; this could be due to the 1/4" thick leather belt that I wear.

Bob in Friday Harbor
-Leroy "Satchel" Paige