Gander Mountain Coming to town

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bridger
Levergunner 3.0

Gander Mountain Coming to town

Post by Bridger »

Any of yall shop there? They are opening one up next week about 10 miles up the road from me, and it is supposed to have a "gun world" with 5000 guns in it which they said is twice the size of a normal gun section at a gander mtn. Of course that is exciting to me, but will it be mostly new black guns or possibly some old used levers and such?
"The best argument against democracy
is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

- Winston Churchill
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Re: Gander Mountain Coming to town

Post by KWK »

The one near me isn't all that exciting, but I stop by now and then. Ammunition is pricey, but the guns aren't too badly priced. Beyond the bolts, the local store has a 7600, a few single shots, and several levers--as I said, worth a visit once in a while. Actually I don't recall seeing any "black guns," but I tend to overlook those at any store. :P
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

The Gander Mountain in Indy doesn't have 2,500 guns, so if 5,000 is 'twice normal', our store must be smaller-than-average.

I haven't counted, but I'd estimate more like 500-1,000 at ours, and mostly the "top-forty" type selection. Lots of used guns a few years ago, but hardly any now - though that may be partly a sign of the times.

Still nice to have a place to browse, or go look at factory loads for .22 Hornet priced at $60 for a box of 50... :roll:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
jh45gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jh45gun »

I refuse to shop at Gander Mountain anymore First of all they are WAY OVER PRICED and two when the NRA had booked some Pro Scott Walker work shops in several of their store meeting rooms in WI GM caved in to anti Walker forces and told the NRA they had to move their meetings they could not have them there. For that reason GM can stick it. The really stupid thing is I bet 90% of them anti Walker morons never shopped there anyway and were probably anti gun to boot.
A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mac in Mo »

I stop at the one in Paducah, Kentucky a few times a year. It is a decent place,probably one of their smaller stores. It usually has a few hundred used guns of various types. Nowhere near the numbers your talking though. Pretty good selection of reloading supplies. Good fishing section.
I would go to GM over Dick's or Sports Authority any day.

Kevin
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

The one in Corsicana is way overpriced. Their gun selection is mostly UBRs and bolt actions. Very few if any Leverguns ever show up there. The shotgun selection is pretty good, but about $100 more for any individual gun than what is asked for at Bass Pro or Cabelas. They carried that slide action Remington .223 for a lot longer than anyone else.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
WinM71
Levergunner 2.0

Post by WinM71 »

In the 70s, I used to buy stuff at the only Gander Mountain back then, a one-story concrete block building on a back road in the middle of nowhere in Wilmot, Wisconsin (I was stationed less than an hour south, in Great Lakes, IL). It was a warehouse doing mail-order business from their catalog, with a small sales counter in the front. You filled out an order, and a few minutes later they brought your stuff out to the counter. I used to be able to save a few bucks there on components.
My mind reader refuses to charge me..........

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you somethin'. That ain't an optical illusion, it only LOOKS LIKE an optical illusion.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

i've been to gander mtn, bass pro, and cabela's, but in the end nothing is as much fun as the two local gun shops i frequent...that's where my monthly contribution to the shooting sports goes... :)
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

I drop in to the one in West Palm Beach occasionally. The firearms section is very large...I haven't tried to count the number of guns they are carrying, but it's a WIDE selection of all types. Almost like a small "gun show". Their prices on factory ammo are high...but so are everyone else's down here in So. Florida. I don't buy more than a box or two of factory rounds every few years...so it really doesn't matter much to me. I enjoy walking around the place. They also have a selection of goodies for offshore fishing, another expensive hobby I enjoy. They have cut back their offerings of Black Bart trolling lures, which is a good thing..!! Easier to avoid those spontaneous lure-buys..!! If you don't like 60.00 ammo...try 60.00 fishing lures..!!
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

I shoot in Ohio quite regularly, I used to call in at the Gander Mountain in Canton on my way to shoot, until I discovered a Fin,Fur & Feather Outfitters just down the road, much better :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

When I lived in Dickson City PA I used to visit the Gander Mountain there regularly because it was two miles from my house . But I also visited several mom and pop gunshops in the area .They maybe had 400 guns out on display in Dickson City .

They opened a new GM in the Glen Allen subs of Richmond maybe 8 years ago , and as of 6 months ago I believe they are no lonegr there and GreenTop moved in the building Gander Mountain had been using .

There is still a GM in Fredricksburg VA and I used to go in it each time I was in Fredricksburg , but in the last 2-3 years they've gone downhill drastically !

Mostly clothes and fishing junk !

If one takes into consideration the majority of whats displayed in Bass Pro or Cabela's it is about 80% clothes , fishing and camping or atleast thats the way I see it from visiting several for both companies . Now thats not to say I don't like visiting either , the Cabela's usually have a nice Gun Library selection so thats a plus . But typically when I go in Bass Pro it's to get a some type of camo clothing or just to say I looked .

Gander Mountain is what i consider a 1/4 scale copy of a Bass Pro / Cabela's . Only plus GM has going for it is the possibility of finding some decent used trade in guns that you won't find at Bass Pro .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

GM is a very overpriced version of Cabelas, except Cabelas guys usually have some clue what they're talking about. I've never shopped in one voluntarily.