OT - Signature lines - care to explain?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

OT - Signature lines - care to explain?

Post by pharmseller »

I'm sorry if this has been done before and lately, but I gotta know the origin of some of your signature lines! Some of the members are new.
Mine is straightforward and includes the author.
How about yours? Maybe include your avatar as well.

Quinn
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Mine was part of something I wrote here and KirkD suggested that I use it. He likes the old stuff - 100 years or better. I like the newly manufactured versions of the old stuff.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Mine is simply a comment I made in a thread sometime back. I like it so well I adopted it as my sig line.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

As for my signature line:

Straight forward picture of a Marlin .444SS - fits right in with the name of this forum.

As for my Avatar:

NEVER mess with a Nun. I'm not even Catholic and I know that. A lot of people (especially those that went to Catholic schools) associate disipline with a Nun with a ruler. My Avatar shows that that's not the worst of it. A Nun and her Gun are not to be messed with either. Besides, I think it's funny and the Nuns at the Catholic Orphanage up the road from me when I was a kid used to shoot rabbits and such to supplement the orphanage stew pot.
ED
Yer never too old
Twinsfan
Levergunner

Post by Twinsfan »

**sigh** Mine speaks for itself. 8)

Actually, my wife has tolerated me for a little over 22 years now and thankfully is used to a little teasing. She isn't into guns at all but pretty much accepts the fact that I am and that our two boys (16 & 10) are as well.
I am King of my castle; I do whatever I want, whenever I want to, ...... as long as my wife says it's OK.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

And that is good advice - welcome.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

I had a buddy about 20 years ago in S.E. Indiana who used my signature line regularly along with a large collection of odd ball sayings. I can't remember the rest of them but that one always stuck in my head. As far as my Avatar; I'm a fan of skull mounts as opposed to standard taxidermy head mounts, plus, I love to coyote hunt (that's a coyote skull). I found that picture on the net somewhere and modified it to suit my needs.
jengel
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jengel »

My avatar is one of my nicest packing pistols, the Ruger Blackhawk .41 Mag with 4 5/8" barrel made in 1976 in a Three Cross holster and an Oklahoma Leather belt.

The signature line of CQ DX de KC0HBR is a ham radio morse code thing that says I am looking for distant stations.

The web site is the gun shop that will (hopefully) be up and running by May 1. We are still waiting to take posession of the building that is on the web site. I am hoping that our FFL will be in hand by mid to late March. From what I have been told, the standard wait for an FFL is 3 months.
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

I just wanted to add that if I was as good loking as Quinn, Joe, and the Old Savage, I'd have a picture of myself for my avatar. That's a huge if, you guys are better off with the coyote skull.
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

Sig line is from the Johnny Cash song "Six Gun Shooting" from the album "Legend of Jesse James" ca. 1979

It pretty much sums up the way I live. I've been very blessed to have no real worries worth mentioning, and scared of very little.

Age is catching up fast though :wink:

The avatar, is just a pic of my favorite combo rig. Trapper 44mag and
a Ruger SBH
...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

"That'll Be The day" came from John Wayne's phrase in "The Searchers". I saw the movie with my mom and dad in 1955 in Fort Worth, Texas. Buddy Holly and the Crickets made a song with the phrase. It stuck with me right after the movie. The first time I remember using it was in a 6th grade football game when a running back got smart and said, after I put him on his butt, " I'll run over you next time" I said "That'll be the day" and he didn't. I have been saying it ever since, sometimes with good results, sometimes not so good. :oops: The avatar is a work in progress. I'm still deciding. The one I have now is a photo of me at the ranch.
Last edited by rangerider7 on Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"That'll Be The Day"
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Not Sure

Post by Idiot »

I don't know. It was something someone said upon my arrival to the forum. :oops:
"Please don't feed the trolls. Just the user name choice should be enough to ignore this guy..."
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I stole my signature line from a Beer Can. Bank's Bitter "unspoilt by progress". It's brewed in Wolverhamton, West Midlands, England.

I prefer things that have stood the test of time (like leverguns) to modern stuff that looks more like something Flash Gordon would have in his gun rack!!! :wink:

By the way WELCOME to Twinsfan. I could have used your signature up till a couple of years ago but now I'm a born again bachelor! :D
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

the first part of my sig I got from a list of quotes on a sniper site. The second part of the sig is just one of those USMC moto quotes. I liked it so much that I started using it. The avatar is a pic of me in Camp Fallujah Iraq.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I change mine weekly. I just can't get enough of the old Winchesters and their ammo. My links are to my two most visited places. Targetmaster is owned by my best friend and I have spent many enjoyable hours there and have walked out the door with many fine guns. Atglen gunclub is the club I belong to.---has a 500 meter range and everything in between.------------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Signature line: I'm don't think I've ever really crossed that line, but I've snuck up awful close! The wife sez I've crossed it many a time, and mostly stay over there! :lol: I tell her to have worn a badge as many years as I did, I had to! And to have been recruited for some of the duties I've done, I KNOW I do. The second is just my way of saying "there's no time like the present." 'Sides, I often forget the line we're supposed to say to start our CAS stages, so that's one I fall back on!

Avatar: Me and "Poco", one of my quarter horse mares, playing a little cowboy mounted shooting; and both of us are intent on killin' those evil, nasty, dastardly, rotten, back-stabbin', no-'count, balloons!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Ummmm...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
don Tomás
Levergunner 3.0

Post by don Tomás »

Hobie wrote:Ummmm...
What Hobie said... :D
Tom

'A Man's got to have a code...
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

-John Bernard Books. Jan. 22, 1901
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

My avatar is the ribbon for the Vietnam Service Medal.

My signature block comes from the website Militarysignatures.com
cubrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cubrock »

My avatar is me last year after successfully taking a squirrel offhand at 20 paces with my new-to-me S&W 624. I chopped it down to just my face, but I'm holding both the squirrel and the gun.

My sig line shows the two most valuable guns I own: Texas Longhorn Arms #5s in .44 Mag and .45 Colt. I don't have a lot of show-off guns like a lot of you guys, but these two make me look good. :lol:
.........THE TWINS..........

jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

It's been one of my favorite sayings since I was a kid, pretty self explanatory. Jim
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

cubrock wrote:My avatar is me last year after successfully taking a squirrel offhand at 20 paces with my new-to-me S&W 624. I chopped it down to just my face, but I'm holding both the squirrel and the gun.

My sig line shows the two most valuable guns I own: Texas Longhorn Arms #5s in .44 Mag and .45 Colt. I don't have a lot of show-off guns like a lot of you guys, but these two make me look good. :lol:
You have two more "show off" guns than I have! :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Hobie

Re: Not Sure

Post by Hobie »

Idiot wrote:I don't know. It was something someone said upon my arrival to the forum. :oops:
I can change your user name...
Sincerely,

Hobie

Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH,
THIS WAS THE ANCIENT LAW OF YOUTH,
OLD TIMES ARE PAST,
OLD DAYS ARE DONE,,
BUT THE LAW RUNS TRUE, OH LITTLE SON.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
stormspotter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by stormspotter »

John Wayne fan and mine if a partial quote from "The Alamo". Entire quote would not fit. :(

I think that little speech was the best few lines of the movie.
Republic. I like the sound of the word. It means people can live free, go or come, buy or sell, be drunk or sober, however they choose. Some words give you a feeling. Republic is one of those words that makes me tight in the throat . . . . Some words can give you a feeling that makes your heart warm. Republic is one of those words.
canonsix
Levergunner 2.0

Post by canonsix »

My sig line is self explanatory, at least I hope it is. Doug
a armed man is his own master
cubrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cubrock »

Hobie wrote:
cubrock wrote:My avatar is me last year after successfully taking a squirrel offhand at 20 paces with my new-to-me S&W 624. I chopped it down to just my face, but I'm holding both the squirrel and the gun.

You have two more "show off" guns than I have! :lol:

I dunno, Hobie. Your 1886 SRC is surely worth showing off!
.........THE TWINS..........

Boomer45
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Boomer45 »

23 year USAF Vet. 1968 - 1991. Retired E8

Signature line comes from 16th Special Operations Squadron Patch AC-130 Gunships "Any Time, Any Place". Served with 1ST Special Operations Wing, 1972-1976
Any Time, Any Place
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

The quote is from a reply JimT made to someone. I found it in a thread during a search for something else. It struck me as quite appropriate and something I should strive for in my own life.

The C'thulhu '08 reference is based on the HP Lovecraft character. C'thulhu is the embodiment of absolute evil, period. He/it is never given more than a vague description because anyone that views him/it can't comprehend the sight and goes mad.

Given the political choices usually available and people saying we have to vote for "the lesser evil" I enjoy the irony of the situation. :twisted:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Rod WMG
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rod WMG »

I chose my signature line because so many of us feel that man is in control. That's not the view of Scripture.
A man's heart devises [or schemes] his way, but the LORD directs his steps. Proverbs 16:9
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Mine is...

Post by Old No7 »

My avatar is easy, as that's my other vice -- besides guns that is...

As for my signature, that's the last line of a 1-page creed that I wrote with the title "Freedom and the Second Amendment". It's pretty neat, if I do say so myself, as when it's printed out it has a shadow image of the Liberty Bell visible behind the text.

If that intriques anyone and they want to see a pdf copy, just send me a PM with your home/office e-mail address.

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

don Tomás wrote:
Hobie wrote:Ummmm...
What Hobie said... :D
:wink:
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

My avatar is the chubby baby that scampers around my house. The sig line is a quote that I find very useful, albeit un-practiced.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

The avatar is my ugly mug. The picture in the signature bar is the book jacket cover where I got my nickname - the "Ysabel Kid" (pronounced "sabel"). My signature bar includes the various pro-gun organizations I below to, and ends with a hyperlink to "The Patriot Post", a.k.a., "The Federalist".

Good topic Quinn! :D
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

With the election year upon us and looking at some of the candidates I don't think mine needs much of an explanation does it?

I actually wrote it myself for another shooting board I belong to but I think I've seen similar somewhere else since then. Anyone else seen the same or similar?
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

My Signature.

Post by Bullard4075 »

Heck you guys are waaaaaay ahead of me, I don't even know what an Avatar is.
As for my signature , if I have to explain it, it isn't funny.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

20 - 30 years ago, these bumper stickers were popular that said "Have you hugged your child today?". Always thought they were kind of annoying... Anyway, one day I saw a sticker that said "Have you hugged your truck today?" and thought that was pretty funny, still do, so I adapted that for my sig.line. If I ever think of something intelligent to put down there, I'll change it.
Have you hugged your rifle today?
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

Nothing I enjoy more than roaming around my mother's homestead in the foothills of the Laurentian mountains. My cousin still lives there and his twins have both built themselves homes there and are raising their children there. I enjoy sitting in the quiet of a sunny fall day on a stump and imagining maybe my grandfather (I never met him, he was killed in a hunting accident before I was born) and my Dad probably sat there also. I have taken my 2 best deer from that farm.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
Texican
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Texican »

Handle: Texican - 'cause I am. Proudly.

Avatar: Josh Randall's 'Mare's Laig' Winchester 92 cutdown - 'cause I like it.

Sig Line: "Gentlemanly Rogue, Projectilist of Distinction, and Son of Old Republic"
- I always liked Maverick, more so than other shows about drovers and lawmen. I've at times fancied myself a kindred spirit of Bret's.
- I enjoy friendly competition and occasionally have been lucky to place in the standings. I choose 'Projectilist' to engender thoughts of a more refined approach to the study and use of firearms. I've read that the term 'Gunman' wasn't always a derogatory term, and in history held the same regard as 'Swordsman', until the Roaring '20's. I think "Projectilist" restores some of that lost charm.
- I have the wagon bows from the conestoga wagon my great-great-grandparents came to Texas in; I share blood with some figures of historical note in the great Lone Star State.

The last picture below is just in good fun. It's Bruce Campbell in 'Army of Darkness' As S-Mart's employee 'Ash, from Housewares', repelling a zombie with a Winchester. I love that scene. :D
Texican

Gentlemanly Rogue, Projectilist of Distinction, and Son of Old Republic

mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Mine is the name of the tribe where I was raised, I had to add the 1 because it was already taken; which surprised me, since people are always asking me to spell it.
Gamekeeeper , welcome back to the ranks, it's a good feeling ; is it not?
JohnnyReb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JohnnyReb »

Mine is just something I say to keep the newcomers nervous....
Redneck suicide note: Here, hold my beer and watch this!!
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

jazman wrote:It's been one of my favorite sayings since I was a kid, pretty self explanatory. Jim
Always loved that one.

As for my Avatar, I want to put a picture of me doing something cool there, but I never have a chance to take a picture of myself doing it, as I am otherwise busy.

My signature line is just one of my favorite Psalms. Whether you believe or not, it's darn good advice.

That, and when I see it at the bottom of the page, it works like a safety. "Do I really want to post this?"
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

DennisD wrote:With the election year upon us and looking at some of the candidates I don't think mine needs much of an explanation does it?

I actually wrote it myself for another shooting board I belong to but I think I've seen similar somewhere else since then. Anyone else seen the same or similar?
They sell bumper stickers that say that at gun shows.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
RonEgg
Levergunner

Signature lines

Post by RonEgg »

Mine is from a friend and was referring to flying off an aircraft carrier.
Everybody wants to say they have done it, just most don't want to keep doing it.

Ron
everybody wants to be a cowboy but, nobody wants to ride the range
PPpastordon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by PPpastordon »

My little Scripture sig. line reminds me, and I hope others, that we do not always "know" what we think we know.
Don't worry; if honest with one's self it will become obvious that this is sometimes strongly to our benefit.

Oh, and "Grace and Peace," in that order because we need God's grace if we are to ever have true peace in our life - IMHO!

Grace and Peace.
Pastordon
Pastordon's Blog
The man who thinks he knows something does not yet know as he ought to know. (1 Cor. 8:2)
PPpastordon
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Signature lines

Post by PPpastordon »

RonEgg wrote:Mine is from a friend and was referring to flying off an aircraft carrier.
Everybody wants to say they have done it, just most don't want to keep doing it.

Ron
Ron;
Have flown from an aircraft carrier a couple of times. IT IS A HOOT!
However, your friend is most likely correct. I know I have had my share of those thrills - long ago!

Grace and Peace.
Pastordon
Pastordon's Blog
The man who thinks he knows something does not yet know as he ought to know. (1 Cor. 8:2)
RonEgg
Levergunner

Re: Signature lines

Post by RonEgg »

PPpastordon wrote:
RonEgg wrote:Mine is from a friend and was referring to flying off an aircraft carrier.

Ron
Ron;
Have flown from an aircraft carrier a couple of times. IT IS A HOOT!
However, your friend is most likely correct. I know I have had my share of those thrills - long ago!

Grace and Peace.
I am with you it is a ride. Had my last one way back in 1984.

Ron
everybody wants to be a cowboy but, nobody wants to ride the range
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

My avatar is Br'er Rabbit... whom I suppose was very influential on me as a child. :wink:

The signature line... the last line of this: http://youtube.com/watch?v=5DIFiHqNkt0&feature=related
Slow is just slow.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Texican wrote:The last picture below is just in good fun. It's Bruce Campbell in 'Army of Darkness' As S-Mart's employee 'Ash, from Housewares', repelling a zombie with a Winchester. I love that scene. :D
The name's Ash, Housewares.

All right you primitive screwheads, listen up! You see this? This-is-my-BOOMSTICK!

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.

Zombie-I'll swallow your SOUL!
Ash-Come get some.

Yeah, it's been awhile but I've seen that movie WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too many times.:lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

My signature line is a quote from L. Neil Smith(Google works if you want to know more, ok, ok here's a link, http://www.lneilsmith.org/ ). I don't agree with everything the man says or stands for, but that little line just nails it. That and you've got to like a guy that writes a book called Lever Action. :wink:
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith