Need advise.......

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mokwaw
Levergunner 3.0

Need advise.......

Post by Mokwaw »

Hi all, haven't posted for a while, but been lurking. Need some advise on installing a new battery in my truck. My truck is a 2001 Chevy 1/2 ton with V-8. My question is, do I need to keep juice on the system while changing the battery out to keep the computer alive??? I changed out the battery on a 1999 VW bug and found out afterward that this had to be done to keep the computer alive. So, wanted to check with those of you in the know if it was necessary to do this for my truck. Thanks in advance for your help.
UNITE
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Need advise.......

Post by pwl44m »

I have an 02 Chev Z71 and didn't do anything when I changed the Battery. If You are do for a Smog check give Yourself time to put a couple hundred miles on before hand. Other than that "I know Nuthink". Good Luck !
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Check your owner's manual, problem should be addressed somewhere in there.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Your old truck will be fine. If you have anything that needs juice, just hook a 9 volt battery to a cigarette lighter plug in and shove that in the hole. It will hold your pre-sets on the radio and computer. Everyone has a couple of old chargers that plug in like that. Just pick out one that you no longer use and cut the wires and solder on the 9 volt snap thingy. (technical term) I usually find an old smoke alarm and cut the "thingy" out of it.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

M. M. Wright wrote:Your old truck will be fine. If you have anything that needs juice, just hook a 9 volt battery to a cigarette lighter plug in and shove that in the hole. It will hold your pre-sets on the radio and computer. Everyone has a couple of old chargers that plug in like that. Just pick out one that you no longer use and cut the wires and solder on the 9 volt snap thingy. (technical term) I usually find an old smoke alarm and cut the "thingy" out of it.
Good advice.
Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! P Henry

When the Government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the Government, there is tyranny.T Jefferson
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

If you want to retain your radio presets the 9 volt in the cig lighter works good. Your computer has capacitors that will retain the juice needed to keep your memory alive for at least 30 or 40 minutes.
NRA Life Member
Beaker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Beaker »

THe 9 volt battery sounds good. What about the polarity of the battery to the 12volt socket though. Will it matter it the polarity gets reversed?
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

Center pin; positive, external : negative.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

You folks are brilliant. I never would have thought of that.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom