Progress with the Puma .357

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Progress with the Puma .357

Post by jnyork »

I have been working with my new-to-me Puma .357 model 92 with the 24" barrel. I had some feed problems with my reloads which were due to improper crimping, I got the Lee Factory Crimp Die and solved that problem completely. I got the Marbles Tang sight installed after getting Marbles to make up a proper 10-32 thread tang screw. Worked with several powders, 2400, Unique, Blue Dot and Bullseye, the Bullseye won easily. All loads were with Berry's 125 grain flat points. I still have some tinkering to do, like getting the Lyman 17A front sight and the Merit adjustable disc aperture for the rear sight, when I get those installed I think I will be able to see the sights a little better, being 72 years old has its drawbacks. :D I also got the dvd on smoothing up the action, and a spring kit from Brownells, the trigger is now about 5 pounds which makes offhand shooting kind of iffy.

The 10-shot group below , fired at 40 meters, was the first one I shot after getting all the above accomplished. 5.0 grains of Bullseye, Federal Magnum small pistol primer, Berry's 125 grain flatpoint. Velocity averaged 1097 over the ten shots with a spread of 48. I noticed a couple of the cases showed some soot from blowback so I am going to boost the loads a couple or three tenths and see if that doesn't fix it. The group is exactly 1 1/2 inches center to center, I called one low, also the last shot of the group I got so excited with my results so far I gave the trigger a mighty yank, resulting in the one out at 8 oclock. :cry:
To be honest, this group is about as good as I can see the sights, so I'm happy so far.

JHarold
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Progress with the Puma .357

Post by JHarold »

Look out fellow winter shooters in Yuma, "THE MAN HAS A PLAN".

won't be long before the great migration south.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Looks to like you pretty well have it tuned and ready for your trip to Yuma. Do you ever walk the desert after jack rabbits? That sounds like a real good combo for them.We haven't been out to see our daughter for awhile but I do enjoy walking the desert hills and the shooting.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

JHarold wrote:Look out fellow winter shooters in Yuma, "THE MAN HAS A PLAN".

won't be long before the great migration south.
About a month for us, will be nice to get out of the smoke, we have been in it from the forest fires since about the first of June, probably have not had more than 10 clear days all summer, visibility here in Lander area is about 3 miles as we speak. :cry:
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Yep All ABOARD ! - on the 3:10 to Yuma ! . :mrgreen: . :mrgreen:

Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

That's good imformation. Enjoy winter!