Talk to me about 94 Trappers

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
oregon73
Levergunner 2.0

Talk to me about 94 Trappers

Post by oregon73 »

I'd like to know more about Winchester 94 Trappers.

I recently sold off two Winchester 94 Trappers in .357. I decided I just did not like the safeties. One had the crossbolt safety and the other the tang safety. I've got one Trapper left, in 30-30, that is pre-safety.

Did they make any of the pre-safety, pre-AE trappers in anything but 30-30? Are there any in .32 Special or any of the pistol calibers such as .357 or .44 or .45? These would be the 94s I'm interested in, but if you want to chime in on 73's that would be all right, too. I wouldn't turn down a '73 trapper if one ever came my way.

Nearly all the Trappers that I come across have the safeties.

Anyway, of all leverguns, I've always been partial to the Winchesters, and of the Winchesters, I've liked the handiness and yes the looks of the Trappers.

Thanks for any info.

Rob
NRA
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Re: Talk to me about 94 Trappers

Post by handirifle »

I used to have a pre-safety angle eject in 44 mag. It started life with a rebounding hammer, but I converted it to half cock instead. I really loved the little rifle but traded it off for a Marlin 45-70. It was a fair trade, but that little 44 was a sweet rifle.

I think for general purpose, the 357 might be better. Less recoil, easier to shoot, cheaper to shoot, and plenty of power under 100yds.

Yes, I did have one of those "optical devices" on top. It was a small 2x scope, and the lace on recoil pad too. I'm a wuss, what can I say.
oregon73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oregon73 »

handirifle wrote:I used to have a pre-safety angle eject in 44 mag. It started life with a rebounding hammer, but I converted it to half cock instead. I really loved the little rifle but traded it off for a Marlin 45-70. It was a fair trade, but that little 44 was a sweet rifle.

I think for general purpose, the 357 might be better. Less recoil, easier to shoot, cheaper to shoot, and plenty of power under 100yds.

Yes, I did have one of those "optical devices" on top. It was a small 2x scope, and the lace on recoil pad too. I'm a wuss, what can I say.
That rifle looks great! Even with the optics. :)

So there are AE trappers that don't have the safeties but the do have rebounding hammers. My 30-30 trapper is not an AE so it doesn't have a rebounding hammer, is that correct?

I want to know more about these so I know what I'm doing when I stumble across one. I can live with post-64 guns but don't really want safeties or rebounding hammers.

Thanks!
Rob
NRA
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

The single most accurate 94 Winchester I've ever fired was a pre-safety Angle Eject.

What I know about 94 trappers is this- there aren't nearly enough of them to go around and when you DO find one, they are too danged high.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

well now, I have a Winch .357 Ranger, also trapper length with the aforementioned "safety" and rebounding hammer.

I can't bear to part with it because it doesn't miss. So far it likes everything I've fed it and it gives my 185gr cast load over 1700 fps.

It hits the same 100 yd gong with the 185s and 110 jhp. It knocks down 100M rams with white box 158gr loads. What's not to like???

The awful components have not made the gun shoot poorly.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

My old cross bolt Winchester trapper once stoned (trigger wise) shot 2" or less all day long everyday!

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

A Rose is a Rose is a Rose; but a Trapper isn't necessarily just a Trapper. :mrgreen:

Look around for either a Wrangler (.32 Special), or a Wrangler II (.38-55).

Both have 16" bbls just like the Trappers, and a big loop, which can easily be swapped out for a standard loop if you don't care for the big one (I don't, myself).

Meeteetse
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Meeteetse »

Can't answer your question about the pistol calibers but I have had a Trapper in 30/30 since the 1970's and I will never sell it. It is pre-safety and pre-angle eject and is an accurate gun. To me the 30/30 is the perfect compromise between the pistol calibers and the big calibers. The recoil is no more than my Marlin 44 and the little gun always hits what I shoot at. I also have another 20" gun for the same era and I like it, but the Trapper is a fun gun and is rarely left at home. Hope you find what you are looking for.
All it takes for tyranny to succeed is for good men to do nothing.

Previous member of Mr. Kelly's forum.
veeman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by veeman »

I had a Wrangler in 32spl, sold it. Still have my pre safety 45 Colt, and will never part with it, it just does't miss, and has beautiful burl walnut stocks.
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

@ Pete44ru: Do the Wranglers have the "stouter" Trapper barrel or are they the same diameter as the standard 94 Carbine but just 4" shorter? I often wondered about that but have never seen one up close and cannot tell by the one in your picture.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

I have a 94 ae trapper in 45 colt that shoots very well. It has no problem hitting full size sillouette rams at 250 yds. I have killed coyotes at that 250 yd mark with it as well. Recoil on the little bugger can get somewhat abusive if you run the +p ammo in it tho.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
oregon73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oregon73 »

I hope I didn't offend anyone here with my comments about the safeties and the rebounding hammers or the AE. It's not that I think those things will make a gun shoot bad. My .357 Trapper with the cross bolt safety shot very well indeed. Still, I've recently decided to collect the pre-AE, pre-safety models, is all. Just like, with Rugers, I prefer the old model action to the New Model--but that doesn't mean I think the New Model action won't shoot! I meant no disrespect.

Thanks all for the information. I will keep an eye out for a Wrangler. That looks like a neat one to have!

Rob
NRA
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

I would never part with mine. :D :D
A .357 AE with cross bolt and rebounding hammer and a 44Mag AE with rebounding hammer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I got tired of waiting for what I wanted to come along, so I purchased a pre-safety top-eject Model 94 in .30WCF and turned it into a Trapper (minus the saddle ring (blech)) with a 16.25" barrel, XS sights and a scout type rail that I can mount either a scope or a red-dot sight upon.

For the pistol caliber (.357) I purchased a Marlin 1894C and set it up in a very similar fashion.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

oregon73 wrote:I hope I didn't offend anyone here with my comments about the safeties and the rebounding hammers or the AE. It's not that I think those things will make a gun shoot bad. My .357 Trapper with the cross bolt safety shot very well indeed. Still, I've recently decided to collect the pre-AE, pre-safety models, is all. Just like, with Rugers, I prefer the old model action to the New Model--but that doesn't mean I think the New Model action won't shoot! I meant no disrespect.

Thanks all for the information. I will keep an eye out for a Wrangler. That looks like a neat one to have!

Rob
Rob, I get that. I wasn't meaning to sound critical, just wanted to add in the performance info, which was better than I expected.

I agree with you that it bastardizes the firearm to add in the junk, and I appreciate your aim to have something original.

hope you find the one you want soon

Grizz
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

I regret selling my trapper 44 mag. It was the cross bolt safety model but not a terribly big deal with the saddle ring stud there anyway. MUCH more handy and quick pointing than I thought it would be, and with a twist rate which easily handles the heavies......let's face it, pretty serious medicine. The A/O front sight and peep rear adds to the guide gun look and feel, and increases the quick sight picture. I hate slings, but they feel and look right on the little trapper. If I get the chance at another in good shape, I will go for it.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

kaschi wrote:@ Pete44ru: Do the Wranglers have the "stouter" Trapper barrel or are they the same diameter as the standard 94 Carbine but just 4" shorter? I often wondered about that but have never seen one up close and cannot tell by the one in your picture.
FWIW, I've never heard of Trappers having a thicker (which is what I presume is meant by "stouter") barrel than standard. (IIRC, "stout" also means just "short", & not necessarily thick)

What I DO know, is that the 16" .30-30 bbl on my late-70's M94 Trapper has the standard contour.(lower rifle, below)

I would think the Wrangler .32 Special's bbl to be identical, but IDK about one in .38-55 - it may very well be thicker to accommodate the larger bore.

kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

Thanks Pete. Im pretty sure the first ones had the standard carbine barrel diameter. IIRC, thicker barreled ones came out in the 80s. Could someone confirm that? Also, I'm pretty sure that there were two different carbine forearms available from the factory's parts department.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Barrels appear thicker due to shorter length, however, they're the same diameter at breech, rear band and front band. As they use the same bands and wood as the std. 20" carbine.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

I don't know about thread size, but my 44 version from early 90's seemed to have a thicker barrel for the larger caliber...akin to big bore AE version.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
redgum
Levergunner

Post by redgum »

I have owned several in 30-30 over the years, and I still have 2 old top eject ones.
They bark, but they are hard hitting, quick and reliable bush guns
However, I personally wouldn't have a pistol calibre Trapper, as I have seen too many ( 4 x 357, 2 x 44m and 3 45 Colt) with broken carriers/lifters,
and heard/read stories about at least a dozen others.
Most were resold for a pittance as there were replacement parts available.
Now I know folks will chime in saying "BS-mine is just fine" ...(for now) ....and that's ok, but it won't change my mind.
Rick C.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

oregon73 wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:24 pm I hope I didn't offend anyone here with my comments about the safeties and the rebounding hammers or the AE.
I doubt that anyone is offended. Everyone likes what they like and there’s room for all of us.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Wow, another old thread comes back to life. 8)
Years ago, a shooting buddy and I each bought Model 94 Trappers in .45 Colt from Big 5 Sporting Goods, what was once a useful outfit.
Within a few months, we both broke the carriers -- and we weren't running them particularly hard. Fortunately there was Winchester warranty station 30 miles away and the smith there had us both up and running again. Those were mighty handy little guns, and running a Ruger-rated .45 Colt handload through them, they punched way above their weight class, as the saying goes.