Eagels getting dinner

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
papabear
Levergunner 2.0

Eagels getting dinner

Post by papabear »

PARENTS DON'T TAKE PICTURES OF THEIR KIDS PLAYING VIDEO GAMES
====================================================================
For Those Who Understand No Explanation Is Needed
For Those Who Don't None Will Do
====================================================================
Member Of The N.R.A.-North American Hunting club-Syosset Gun Club
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I had no idea that they would take on something that size.

Pretty interesting.

8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Big ol' golden eagles will attack larger animals and kill them. Sheepherders in the west for years were armed and under orders to shoot every one of them they saw and raid their nests due to sheep losses.

I dont want to cry BS on this, but I have some doubts as to the authenticity of that video, at least parts of it. First of all, it appears not to be a deer but a mountain sheep lamb, which would be entirely believable. The photography, however appears to be staged or pasted togather from several different perspectives and would have to have been taken by at least four separate photographers. The last two perspectives particularly appear maybe have been manufactured.

I may be wrong on this, I hope so, but that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.
Marlin .35
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Marlin .35 »

+1 On the made up part. In one of the other pics it shows a crowd of people all taking pics wi their cameras!!!! Art
Dead Calm is alive and well!!!!!!!
jengel
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jengel »

If you remember in "Hell, I Was There", Elmer Keith said that the Golden Eagle was the most prolific preadator of young game that he had seen. He also makes reference to it in "Rifles for Large Game". It looks to me like it would be valid.
tarkio
Levergunner 1.0

Post by tarkio »

Golden Eagles will kill small deer, antelopes, sheep &lambs and calves. Gold eagles will take fawns lambs etc.

No BS. If you ever range calved or lambed out in tis regiion, you would know as well.

Depending on the size, an eagle might grab a lamb , fly up and drop him to kill him and then retrieve the dead lamb.

If the animal is larger there is a different method used. An eagle will harass antelope for example and get them on the move. The eagle will dive down and sink its talons into the antelope or deer's back either side of the spine. When it works, the result is damage to nerves and loss of use of the rear legs. Then the eagle will go ti work eating.

A friend of mine that ranches in eastern MT saw an eagle that was on a full grown antelopes back and the antelope was still running. The eagle was holding on with one talon and raking the side of the antelope wit the other opening the antelope up. The eagle won that one.

Because of the eagles predation on calves & lambs, they aren't real popular around here, especially with sheep producers because the problem is huge with lambs in the spring.
----------------------------------
I'd rather die while I'm living
than live while I'm dead.
I'm growing old but not up.
Jimmy Buffett
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I remember reading what Elmer said about the Golden Eagles. He said he used to shoot every one he saw.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

Check out the way the eagle glides through the canyon with the deer in its talons. I'm no expert but theres no darned way he could maintain lift with that much meat hanging under him, and yes it does look like several camera angles were used.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

just watched a discovery show which showed eagles preying on elk calves. about the same size and they flew with them in their talons on that show. I have no idea if this video clip is faked or not though.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

Here in West Central Texas we also have Mexican Eagles. I think they are called Caracara. They will kill calves and fawns by catching them on the ground. I have seen a few die of "natural" causes on the ranch myself. They grow up to a four foot wingspan.

"That'll Be The Day"
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Geez - no wonder my wife's afraid of birds! :shock:
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

If you open the link again and on the right side, scroll down to "golden eagle versus deer" . That one looks real to me.
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

jkbrea wrote:If you open the link again and on the right side, scroll down to "golden eagle versus deer" . That one looks real to me.
+1 on that brother! Amazing!

bogie