Plug for Winchester Ammo Division

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Marc
Levergunner 3.0

Plug for Winchester Ammo Division

Post by Marc »

I bought 2000 Winchester WLR primers about 5 years ago. I just started using them this summer for rifle silhouette loads. I load mild loads for silhouette. Most are starting charges in the loading manuals. If it shoots good I don't push it! Even with these mild loads some of the primers leaked through the corner of the cup. Pinholes formed at the corner of the cylinder portion of the primer and the flat bottom. The bad thing is the leaking gas burned little pits in the bolt face. After the first time I tried a different packet of 100 and they leaked too. The third time I tried the other box of 1000 and they also leaked.

I called Winchester and spoke to a backup product service rep. She sent a UPS call tag to send the primers that leaked and one fired case I had with a leaky primer still in it. Also to send a letter with a list of the loads that leaked. She told me that they "had to find out what was wrong with my reloads." That didn't sound promising since "what was wrong with my reloads" was their defective primers. Anyway a week later the regular product service rep, Donnie, called me and said they didn't know why the primers leaked but that they were sending me a case of 5000 primers to replace them and that I should destroy the bad lot.

The 5000 primers arrived last week and so I have to give the Winchester Ammo boys a thumbs up for standing behind their product.
My "HB" (Hunting Buddy) She's a good cook too!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Plug for Winchester Ammo Division

Post by 2ndovc »

That's really Cool!

Good to hear about a company that stands behind thier product!

Sure would love to see Winchester come back to the company it once was!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Gary
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Gary »

Outstanding service on Winchester's part!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I had the exact same thing happen with some Fiocchi LP primers. Both my S&W 25-5 and OM BH have the same pits you described on the breach face. Not heavy loads either. I think I ended up trashing about a third of the 1000 I had.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
DixieBoy
Senior Levergunner

Post by DixieBoy »

Marc - I wonder if you could post the number you called to talk with someone at Winchester specifically about primers.

The Winchester Large Pistol Primer is my all time favorite primer but about a year and a half ago I bought a case of 1000 and had a good number of them which were definitely not right. Looked all blue, like crystallization had formed somehow. I chunked them, and was really bummed about losing the $ 35 I'd paid back then. Then I thought to pull the box they'd come in out of the trash (so I could get Winny the lot #) and I saved one of the bad primers. Never seen anything like it before or since. I trust the vendor it came from, as he has always sold recently supplied powder and primers, not junk that's been laying around. I have held on to the box and primer because I think that Winny ought to know about this. And if they wanted to reimburse me for the 1000 primers that wouldn't break my heart.

I have had no luck finding a phone number for Winny's component people. Would you be so kind as to post it, or PM me with it. Thanks. - DixieBoy
When the People Fear Their Government There is Tyranny; When the Government Fears the People There is Liberty.
Marc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marc »

DixieBoy, The number I have is for Sharon who was filling in for Donnie the day I called. Her number is 618-258-2738. I am sure she can help you get connected to the right person. They were ready to help.
My "HB" (Hunting Buddy) She's a good cook too!
DixieBoy
Senior Levergunner

Post by DixieBoy »

Marc - Thank you. I had not been able to find a number for them online. - DixieBoy
When the People Fear Their Government There is Tyranny; When the Government Fears the People There is Liberty.