300 Savage Loads

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rodfac
Levergunner

300 Savage Loads

Post by Rodfac »

I've been playing with a Savage 99 in .300 Sav. for a year now and wondered if anyone else has some good loads they'd like to share. This gun, a 1953 EG, shoots extremely well for me. The gun's got real accuracy built into it, and I like the look of that old smooth Savage receiver. The 4x Weaver scope is of the same vintage. My best effort to date is with a Sierra 150 gr Spitzer, 38.0 gr of 3031 for 2570 fps...three shot groups right at an inch.

Best Regards, Rod
Hobie

Re: 300 Savage Loads

Post by Hobie »

You can get loads that hit certain performance levels from the manuals (recommended) but if you want to see results you should look at these posts from the forum...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

I have had good luck with RL15 in my 99F with 165 Hornady sp interlock bullets.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Rod, I would say you are right there with that load. Those rifles begin to distort the the brass with much more pressure. You may get slightly better accuracy with 4895 or 4064 or the like but as I said I think you are right where you want to be already.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

These are two loads I used for my Dad's 300 Savage:

38.5 grains IMR 4064 - 180 gr Sierra Pro Hunter bullet

41.0 grains IMR 3031 - 125 grain Sierra spitzer bullet or Hornady 130 grain bullet

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!