Joe's Key Pouch survives torture test

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Joe's Key Pouch survives torture test

Post by AJMD429 »

About a year ago I asked our very own Joe Miller to make me a 'key pouch' like his < link > Spare Cylinder Pouches...
Joe's Cylinder Pouch.jpg
...only instead of cushiony felt to protect a spare Ruger cylinder, I wanted it made of suede leather.

Due to having lots of keys to things at the office (several doors, cabinets, etc.), when I need to go to the house we rent out, or the neighbor's farm gate needs opened (it's actually on our land), and at home (barns, sheds, gates, etc.), that I carry around (I always need them when I don't have them), my pants would get holes in the pockets. Since my wife is a professional seamstress, and makes wedding dresses, opera costumes, ballet costumes, and clothes of all sorts, of course mere 'mending' is beneath her dignity, and I'm too much of a klutz to do it - so the pants got thrown out (you can make 'yard pants' out of pants with holes in the knees and so on, but having stuff constantly fall out of your pocket - especially outside - is a no-go).

I'd gotten some laser sight or other gizmo a few months ago that came with a little drawstring-pouch made of cloth, and I decided to 'bag' my keys to protect my pants pocket. It worked like a charm, but being cloth, wore out in just a couple of months.

So Joe made me this:
Joe's Key Pouch.jpg
As you can see, it is intact, after about a year of daily use, often under 'work' conditions (see the sweat stain from being outside today cutting weeds and picking berries). I keep the 'seldom used' keys on the ring attached to the bag, and my 'only used in farm-mode' keys on the next ring, and the 'used daily' ones on the most distant ring, with whatever car/tractor/other key I need at the moment clipped to that ring. That way, I can keep the majority of the keys in the pouch so they don't poke holes in my pants pockets, and the setup makes the frequently used keys quick to find. When I'm doing 'chores' I will have the most distant and the farm keys both out of the bag.

Anyway, probably a strange way to do keys, and I doubt any of you would want to emulate that, but I just wanted to brag on Joe a bit and say his leather bag is one tough 'fashion accessory' I wouldn't be without... :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Joe's Key Pouch survives torture test

Post by pwl44m »

Thats a neat idee Doc, I have thrown away Pants with holes in the pockets. Don't know how much money I have lost through those holes. I pick up every coin I see and as it turns out a lot of them are Mine. :oops:
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I have some cylinder bags made by Joe. I need to order a few more for additional cylinders I've purchased since then. Hadn't thought about leather... :D
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I have a "spur" that's on my key rings, the keys drop into the pocket, and the spur hangs on the edge. I can fish the keys out just by hooking a finger on the spur and they're in hand. Yep, I've worn out the upper part of the pockets on a couple pairs of Levis, but... the bottom of the pockets are in fine shape, no lost change.

Your solution is elegant for one that needs to carry a lot of keys, but I only need three on mine: door/ignition, brake interlock & side box key. For the p/u, it's only the door/ignition, I don't even know where my house keys are.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

I used to have problems with holes in my pockets from my keys. I now hang my keys from my pants belt using a keyring holder that my belt slides through and just push in the catch with a finger and keys slides off and vice versa. Don't even think about when i do it now, can remove keys easily with the muscle memory you acquire from doing it day in and day out for the last twenty years. Since i started doing this, I have noticed a few of my coworkers have started doing it this way too.Sometimes the power of suggestion makes people do like things.. Like gassing in an elevator. :mrgreen:
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

AJMD,

Thanks for the review. Glad it worked as intended.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***