Carson City NV----Colorado Springs Co

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Carson City NV----Colorado Springs Co

Post by Hillbilly »

I may have a firm job offer in both towns.

Compare, contrast, praise or condem...What do you guys know or think about these two towns?

The Colorado job will require weekly travel all over SE CO... other than the jobs....?
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Carson City NV----Colorado Springs Co

Post by AJMD429 »

Just off the cuff, I'd consider two things:

1. Which state has better gun laws (i.e. regarding CCW, full-autos), and
2. Which town has the lower population (likely less yuppies and idiots).

I don't own any full-autos, but it's always nice to have the 'legal limit' as far away from what you actually do/own as possible. As far as the 'yuppie' thing, the more things around that they dislike (shooting ranges, hog farms, bowling alleys, NASCAR tracks) the better... :D
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

as far as I can tell... Colorado and Nevada have pretty gun freindly laws. Open carry, CCW permits etc.

From what I can tell...CO Springs has a fair amount of rental housing... Reno is about 40 miles from Carson and right now I don't know much about that area.

I understand that CO Springs, Pueblo and Denver all have plenty of public, private facilities and lot's of sporting shotgun and action handgun sports.

Too many choices- I suppose it's a blessing but this is stressing me out

Pray for me fellas.... it's all overwhelming and the specifics are to complicated to go into...
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Carson has it's share of yuppies, old school hippies, gays(inc. terminology) and plenty of plain old gun lovin' Nevadans. Drive a few mile south to Gardnerville-Minden and you'll see fewer of the leftist types. I once owned 10 acres in the area but my ex took care of that.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

I've lived in both places. I don't miss Colorado Springs, though it is certainly not a bad place to live. I do miss Carson City (well, I guess I was just outside the city limits, a couple of blocks past the Moonlight Bunny Ranch). Other than when I lived on the ranch I never had such a short distance to go to get in some shooting as when I lived in Nevada. Also the Carson City area is dirt-biker heaven, if that is any attraction to you.

Oh yeah, when you get out to Carson City ... look up LeverBob and tell him he's been on vacation long enough.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

earlmck wrote:I've lived in both places. I don't miss Colorado Springs, though it is certainly not a bad place to live. I do miss Carson City (well, I guess I was just outside the city limits, a couple of blocks past the Moonlight Bunny Ranch). Other than when I lived on the ranch I never had such a short distance to go to get in some shooting as when I lived in Nevada. Also the Carson City area is dirt-biker heaven, if that is any attraction to you.

Oh yeah, when you get out to Carson City ... look up LeverBob and tell him he's been on vacation long enough.
I heard that Earl...not yet. A tough old levergunner like you is always welcome down here in the camp. By the way... a very happy birthday to you, you old coot. :mrgreen: You're welcome too Hillbilly.

CC is about 25 miles south of Reno (12 minutes on the new expressway) & most of the hippies & other assorted idiots (AJ is correct) infest Virginia City primarily. This is the most depressed state in the nation. We are not rebounding, despite efforts to draw business & as usual the pols. are doing it all wrong. Is there a "stupid" test they take to qualify them for office?

It is a haven, like Idaho, for patriots & is a wilderness wonderland if'n y'all like high desert. Where I live the elev. is just over 4500ft. I won't be going anywhere else...for me it is a paradise. If you take a trip out here & look me up, you'll see why. Live just outside the city & you can shoot anywhere (with good sense and care) in ten minutes. Hunting & fishing are super!

Money...not anywhere near what Colorado has. More people & a lot more $. However, more peace & serentiy by far here. I have family in Denver...I don't think you would like it unless you're a cityboy. They don't.

Now...back to my vacation...

LB
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

I'd vote Carson City. But then I'm biased, living in Sacramento and visiting relatives in the area quite frequently. Great coyote and chukar hunting all over the place. Great off-roading. Great mule deer hunting if you can draw a tag. Lake Tahoe is just up the hill for some excellent snow & water skiiing.

I've been trying to convince the wife we need to move over the Nevada state line to remove ourselves from the left-wing silliness in Sacramento. Carson, Verdi, and Galena are 3 of my top picks.

Let's see...plenty of inexpensive housing due to the economic downturn. Mild weather, except for the winds.. :evil:. And don't forget the Reno National Championship Air Races every September.
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I've only driven thru, but that part of NV is wonderful...the beauty of eastern Cali, and the no BS of NV....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Either one sound like nice choices ---

housing may be more in COS, but if your renting to start out, possibly equivalent?

I'd follow the money personally --- i would rather be in Colorado, but does your drive time involve mileage and a company vehicle? --- long drives can eat you alive financially if not
----- Doug
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I always liked it around carson city. I owned 10 acres of mountain side 50 miles NW of reno and almost retired there. (Near lake davis north of portola california). I didnt make the move as it would be poison for me as a retired gambler. I also know colorado springs as I have a daughter north of there and a retired BIL that was a cop there. I like reno-carson city better. You are on the high dessert and are on the east slope of the high sierras, one of my most favorite areas in the US. To the east, north and SE of you is the wide vast open gravel pit of the united states. Also you are within a days drive to the ocean. All wives like that.
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

BlaineG wrote:I've only driven thru, but that part of NV is wonderful...the beauty of eastern Cali, and the no BS of NV....
I wouldn't say Nevada is no B.S. You have to remember that Nevada is run outta Vegas and generally runs towards the democrat/liberal side of things (Harry Reed anyone?). As bad as Ca.? Highly doubt it but it's not Arizona, Idaho or Utah when it comes to legal things. On the liberal vs. conservative front I give Nevada and Colorado a tie. Both have a bunch of good, freedom loving people who just want to be left alone but all the power is in the population centers.

As for which one? I've never lived either place but have spent time at both. Personal opinion leads me towards Nevada being pretty much a dump. But even a dump has advantages. Basically, once you're out of the population centers anything goes (off-roading and shooting opportunities already mentioned) and land is cheap. Unfortunately you also run into some negatives with anything goes mentality. Carson City is just a hop, skip and a jump from both Lake Tahoe and Reno which depending on your nature could be a good or a bad thing. I know nothing about Reno but even with all it's beauty you can have Tahoe and the drive from Carson City to Las Vegas(Nevada) is almost unbearable. It might come down to family with me. If I was single I could have a heck of a lot of fun (and trouble) around Carson City and surrounding area but not for this married with children man.

While Colorado Springs may have fewer outdoor opportunities they are far from few compared to here in Iowa and the southern CO. and northern NM area is some of the prettiest land in the country. IMO, Colorado Springs also has better weather.

In our travels the Wife and I are always on the look out for places to settle down once the kids are raised. So far Colorado Springs, Las Vegas NM, and Farmington NM head the list. Carson City and that area is completely off our list.

LK
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

LeverBob wrote:
earlmck wrote:I've lived in both places. I don't miss Colorado Springs, though it is certainly not a bad place to live. I do miss Carson City (well, I guess I was just outside the city limits, a couple of blocks past the Moonlight Bunny Ranch). Other than when I lived on the ranch I never had such a short distance to go to get in some shooting as when I lived in Nevada. Also the Carson City area is dirt-biker heaven, if that is any attraction to you.

I heard that Earl...not yet. A tough old levergunner like you is always welcome down here in the camp. By the way... a very happy birthday to you, you old coot. :mrgreen: You're welcome too Hillbilly.

CC is about 25 miles south of Reno (12 minutes on the new expressway) & most of the hippies & other assorted idiots (AJ is correct) infest Virginia City primarily. This is the most depressed state in the nation. We are not rebounding, despite efforts to draw business & as usual the pols. are doing it all wrong. Is there a "stupid" test they take to qualify them for office?

It is a haven, like Idaho, for patriots & is a wilderness wonderland if'n y'all like high desert. Where I live the elev. is just over 4500ft. I won't be going anywhere else...for me it is a paradise. If you take a trip out here & look me up, you'll see why. Live just outside the city & you can shoot anywhere (with good sense and care) in ten minutes. Hunting & fishing are super!

Money...not anywhere near what Colorado has. More people & a lot more $. However, more peace & serentiy by far here. I have family in Denver...I don't think you would like it unless you're a cityboy. They don't.

Now...back to my vacation...

LB
Glad to see your ok Bob :wink:
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

Looks like Nevada
Got a firm job offer, good raise.... And it looks like the housing will be a wash.
Thanks for the advise

I should be there before Sept 10
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Sounds great, hope it works out for you.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I think you will like cc. You will find it cold in winter, but you already know that. I love that area but I would be wearing a barrel as I am a uncureable gambler.