Good book, wilderness living

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Good book, wilderness living

Post by getitdone1 »

Recently read a good book about Trudy Turner's life in the wilderness of British Columbia. I've mentioned her dad who, at the age of 21 and in 1912, hiked about 60 miles inland from Bella Coola, B.C. and made himself a home and farm where he and wife Ethel raised their 3 kids. Two boys and a girl. Trudy was the youngest.

This book is 'just out' with a 2012 copyright. The title is: Packtrains and Airplanes and Hancock House is the publisher. Bought my copy from http://www.amazon.com Trudy is now about 82 yrs old. To be that old and be the author of a new book tells you just a little about what kind of person she is.

The earlier books that are related to this latest one and about the same family or close relatives are:

Crusoe of Lonesome Lake (About Ralph Edwards and family)
Ralph Edwards of Lonesome Lake (Sequel to above)
Fogswamp (This is Trudy's first book about her life. Ralph Edwards is her dad.)
Ruffles On My Longjohns (This one's about the same area and written by Trudy's aunt Isabel who married Ralph's brother Earl. Isabel and Earl moved into the B.C. wilds near Ralph and family in 1932.)

This latest book is rather special in that very little editing was done and it's like setting across the table from Trudy as she tells you about growing-up in the wilds of British Columbia, Canada. Lots of stories (happy and sad) about the horses, cows and dogs they had. Horse and dog lovers should really like this book. This book also answers lots of questions the reader might have about her and her family from reading the previous books.

I've mentioned the earlier titles here before and also that there's a video you can watch on YouTube titled, The Crusoe of Lonesome Lake. This video is about 50 minutes in length.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOuRJCeiaIw

Don
Last edited by getitdone1 on Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Good book, wilderness living

Post by gamekeeper »

I have seen a TV program about Trudy Turner's family and their life in Canada, amazing stuff!

Thanks for the heads up on the new book.. :D
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
samb
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Good book, wilderness living

Post by samb »

Will have to check it out. Sitting here in Vancouver on a layover, was thinking how friends from Ga drove all the way to Alaska. In they're opinion British Columbia was the prettiest place on the whole trip. I am prone to agree.